Lingodeer 今朝

Hello!

I am currently burning through the beginning stages of Lingodeer, while also improving my malnourished grammar skills severely.
I came to the section for days of the week, and found that the pronunciation for 今朝 was described as “ima asa” instead of “kesa”.

I have searched the Internet if this is a valid reading, but haven’t found any positive results so far. Did Lingodeer make a mistake? Is けさ archaic? Thanks for your time. :blush:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard いまあさ before, but I found this site. https://furigana.info/w/今朝

1 Like

You could also write it at 今、朝, they just left out the comma. It’s simply two words in this case that would be read as いま、あさ.
Sometimes you have to guess from context how to parse words.
Like when you see 今日本 (and you can indeed just write it without a comma, there are no punctuation rules in Japanese), you have to know from context whether it’s 今日、本 or 今、日本.
In the lingodeer sentence, it only makes sense as “Now, it’s 7:50 in the morning”, not “This morning it is 7:50”.

8 Likes

Yeah - looks like Lingodeer could have been more clear here. Also, to add another way to express this see this screen clipping from the Tofugu article. Here they don’t have 今, but we are all used to, I think, the pattern of starting a sentence “今、” so you could imagine that here too.

1 Like

LingoDeer is good but it sertainly has a few oddities in both English and Japanese, I’m not sure they have native speakers proof read. I send suggestions when I find things like this, they have a little button for it, although I’ve no idea if they get taken up.

3 Likes

Sentence does definitely seem to be missing a comma.

Also another way of reading that kanji is けさ as in This morning, but still doesn’t make sense in that sentence. For example.

けさは朝ごはんを食べました。

1 Like

You can also just use kana to make sure this doesn’t happen.

いま朝 will not seem odd to Japanese people and entirely avoids the confusion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.