LGBTQ+/GSRM Book Club! Currently Reading: はなものがたり 10/14-11/18!

Good luck!

3 Likes

I’ve been lurking for a bit, trying really hard to resist joining because I’m the type of person who easily overcommits, but now that there’s a vocab list…count me in! Plus I’m really hyped to read 不可解なぼくのすべてを, so I figured I might as well just order the current book along with it, with shipping being as expensive as it is. Let’s hope my copy arrives soon!

3 Likes

Me right now. When people accidentally join against their will

I’ve been pulling out ぼくのすべてを now to compile a vocab list early, so hopefully that will be an even eaiser read for everyone, the grammar looks much simpler than レズ・レポ.

3 Likes

Thank kami-sama for that!

2 Likes

I had to fill out a stress-check form at work today, and I was really surprised by how many kanji I had learned from this book. It is so exciting seeing kanji that you’ve just learned on WK in the wild.

3 Likes

I’m starting the vocab list for ぼくのすべて now…
So far it is MUCH easier to read.

VVV
Linkie-Poo

I’ll also link it in the first post. I think level 10-20s can feel okay to buy this one.

4 Likes

Looks like there’s a bunch of ebooks on sale on Amazon right now. Amazon doesn’t actually show you the original cost to see how big the discount is, but it looks like all three volumes of the やがて君になる light novel spin off are discounted based on the price.

volume 1
volume 2
volume 3

The first volume of the manga is also free to read until 10/15.

1 Like

It says not available when I click the link…

I’m interested in this! Where can I go to get a japanese copy? Also, how skilled should I be, I only know basic grammar and vocab, will this be too hard for right now?

Have you added a Japanese address to your account? Amazon is weird about selling ebooks to people outside of Japan, but it’s easy enough to get around with a random address and using a VPN once or twice.

2 Likes

This vocab list is so cool! Thank you for putting in all that work, I think this will make my life a bit easier.

What is your grammar level?

The first book has a fair amount of high level kanji and grammar. I’d honestly say that mostly only advance will enjoy reading, so I apologize for that.

I’m reading the second book now. ぼくのすべてを and it is a much simpler read. I think anyone with N4 reading level will enjoy it. It’s cute and quick read. Still intermediate though.

2 Likes

My grammar level is sad, but between Google, Jisho, and the English translation I am able to parse most sentences. I am getting really good at using the Google Translate draw feature! I am also writing down all the unfamiliar kanji/interesting vocab as I go, which slows me down a lot. I can do about 5 pages in around an hour. Luckily, a lot of the kanji is thematic and repeated, so you get used to seeing it (though I constantly have to check it for pronunciation since there is no furigana). So, as a study tool, with enough patience you could do it! But if you want to read it just for fun, maybe wait until you have more grammar under your belt.

4 Likes

thank you for the Google sheets :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, Chapter 2!

Does anyone have a similar self-discovery story?
What do you think about the book she finds? On one hand, it is cool that she could relate and see the connections between her childhood and current issues as an adult, but on the other I am wary of anything pathologizing LGBTQ+/GSRM experiences.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

Define pathologizing?

You mean because of the mother thing? I don’t understand the implications of the Japanese as well as the english. I don’t remember feeling too put off by the english. I personally did not have a sexual discovery in relation to my parents. I thought she was just detailing her discovery process in the english version, but it’s been a bit since I’ve read it.

Do you worry that they are trying to explain being gay? I think that Japan even more that America has a “right way”. I think that if something does not follow that path then you want to be able to explain why.

I understand the lethargy around people trying to explain you…

2 Likes

“regard or treat as psychologically abnormal”

So yeah, basically what you said. I wonder when the book she read was published. Was homosexuality in the DSM at the time? Probably…

2 Likes

This probably tracts with Homosexuality in Japan in general, unfortunately.

Strangely the inability to deal with differences if probably exactly why they have a manga culture that has so many books about minority viewpoints. Escapism.

I try to be kind to the fact that changing a cultural conversation is incredibly difficult. Especially because I read that the Supreme Court wants to undo the gay marriage ruling in America if they get a new conservative judge.

5 Likes

I was a bit… hmmm should I call it worried? I was a bit something with the mother part too. Probably because I’ve seen too many stories where they try to explain our ‘condition’ in a freudian way, which I don’t think is always necessary and it might just give people the idea that childhood traumas lead to being LGBTQ+ or something. Or just that you somehow need a reason, a cause. Though with this story in particular I don’t think it’s that problematic, it’s her own story, it’s just the connection in my brain that made me feel a bit of something xp My own self-discovery story definitely has nothing to do with my mom and I don’t know any peer who says they discovered anything through their parents either, though.

That’s the thing, huh. Trying to find the right balance.

ew what??!

4 Likes

Yeah, justices Thomas and Alito wanna overturn gay marriage. And we have a supreme court nominee that literally came from the religious group that inspired the Handmaid’s Tale. As an American, I humbly ask Canada and Ryan Reynolds to invade us, please.

7 Likes