LGBTQ+/GSRM Book Club! Currently Reading: はなものがたり 10/14-11/18!

Unpacking the title of our first book!

さびしすぎてレズ風俗に行きましたレポ

さびしすぎて

• 寂しい (さびしい ) lonely, lonesome. Common word WK lv 56.

• 過ぎる (すぎる) to pass through. lv 22. used to mean to be too much, with adjective or verb stems.

• all together we get さびしすぎて – too lonely

レズ lesbian. Common word. Also written レズビアン

風俗 (ふうぞく) manners, sex oriented entertainment. Common word

に to, from

行きました to go. 行く level 5, to go

レポ report

Anyone can correct my reading if you would like to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With Japanese, I like to put it all together again.

A report on when I was excessively lonely and explored the lesbian sex industry.

I take liberties, but I think this is how I’d say it in english. Thank you so much! That was very helpful. I’m surprised I didn’t notice the すぎる, it’s glaringly obvious now that you point it out.

3 Likes

Valiant effort, but the title is basically saying, “I was so lonely that I went to a lesbian sex service!: A Report,” a very tongue-in-cheek and self-deprecating title by the author and was basically corrupted since the original fan translations came out. Granted, given the marketing, it probably works out better with what they went with in English, but just thought I would put this out there.

3 Likes

I love her style of writing, I relate entirely.

Alright! One sentence down, hundreds to go! And we’re off!

Thanks again, @RoseWagsBlue !

3 Likes

I’m at page 16 right now and my heart is just so heavy for her =(

4 Likes

I hope it’s ok to post my thoughts now, which is Sunday to me. Are most of us in Japan, or abroad?

Oof. That was heavy. But somehow rather readable? I really like her voice, or rather the narration style. I really don’t have enough experience with reading Japanese to pick up a distinct voice. But I like it.

I am writing out all the unfamiliar kanji as I go, which is taking forever, since that’s uhh…most of them…but I didn’t find the lack of furigana too troublesome. I’ve gotten rather good at using the Google Translate draw feature! Though I’ve noticed it’s a bit iffy on pronunciation, so once I get Google to tell me the kanji, I double check against Jisho for how to actually read it.

My vocabulary/grammar is still pretty sad, but I’ve picked up a few things from the Sailor Moon book club that have come in handy. It’s almost like the more you read, the better you get at it!

I have a few grammatical/vocab questions that I couldn’t figure out:

P. 7 What is she saying in the top panel? Google gives me “Oh, hello”, which works for me, but Jisho has もしや as “perhaps”, so I’m not quite sure what’s going on.

P. 12 panel 2, I don’t quite know what’s going on in this panel, either. Especially バチ. Couldn’t find a meaning for it.

P. 16, panel 3, I get the idea of what is happening here, but I can’t figure out what 経 is doing after 10年.

I’m excited to hear all your thoughts and get crackin’ on ch. 2!

3 Likes

Page 12:

To me, the circles are meaning- anything- you could fill in the blanks with anything and it would still be true.

All of this:
他にも「自分は何々をする資格がない、何々したら恐ろしいバチがあたる」シリーズは

There’s also a series of other things… I can’t do anything by myself, and if I did anything at all, I would be hit with this terrible fear.

I am also having trouble with バチ, I will ask my tutor. Seems like if she did anything a horrible バチ struck her. It seems to be something about a bee? I’m wondering if it means that a swarm of terrible feelings hits her.

But please anyone else step in as well.

2 Likes

Page 16:

10年経った Ten years have passed.

今も And even now… then the rest of the sentence.

3 Likes

@amagi Thank you for the taking duty of running this book club. I have barely even opened the book!

We are so fortunate to have advanced readers here who use their time to make spreadsheets of words and grammar for many of these clubs. I can possibly handle some vocabulary sheets, but not for the next few weeks.

I wish that I could participate more right now!

2 Likes

I totally understand. I am definitely not advanced and wish I could be more helpful.

I’m taking a every standoffish look at this book. I don’t have a ton of time either right now, and my reading level is still very low, not nearly as low as my listening level thank goodness.

So for now I am just looking for the bits that I do understand. Which I’m happy to find out is more than I thought. And any sentence with crazy kanji, I skip and look at the pretty pictures. LMAO.

4 Likes

I am just glad there was interest in starting this. I am here long term, and we can assemble materials for future readers over time.

\(^-^)/

2 Likes

I don’t know how I missed the meaning of “passed” for that kanji…thanks!

3 Likes

Also:

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 4.33.16 AM

This is my tutor’s response.

4 Likes

Same here, it really feels like a casual journal, with hints of self-depricating humor, I think it fits the story perfectly ^^

This first chapter already hit me hard, to be honest… It’s rather too real :sweat_smile: I’m just wishing I could give her a hug the whole time :sob:

I’m sorry I only got to reading it so late, first week of university was a mess, otherwise I could’ve helped out with the questions! I’ll try my best to read sooner this week!

I got 17 new words out of this and put them all in anki, but forgot to write them down elsewhere. I could, however, put them down in a post here as I go through my anki reviews tomorrow, if anyone’s interested?

(Also, in the let’s play ‘club’ thing I was in a while ago, they had this shared vocab list where everyone would add words they didn’t know in on the go, perhaps an idea for here?)

2 Likes

It is easy to have a moderator turn a post into a wiki that people add to. I think that a regular can still turn their own post into a wiki too.

I have done this for the top post of my sumo thread and garden thread, maybe others. It is very useful.

1 Like

@Korinoshikkan/@RoseWagsBlue

Are you thinking like a google doc?

We could better prepare for the next book though… Set up a memrise even…

2 Likes

I probably rushed through the first chapter, and didn’t take note of the words that I did not know before. So will probably re-read the first chapter this week and continue with chapter two. :blush:

2 Likes

So, I checked out your sumo thread and it looks very handy indeed (though maybe less for really long lists? or maybe not, idk) but I wouldn’t know how to do that, I’m a big noob when it comes to these things XP

Yeah, that was my idea at first… xp

Anyway, here are my words already, until we find a better place to put them xp (All jisho definitions and written the way they appear in the book, even though it seems 赤ぎれ is not a common way to write that word? But that’s how it appears, so)

対峙: たいじ,

1. confrontation; standing facing each other (e.g. mountains, buildings)​
  2. squaring off against (adversaries, armies, forces); standing off against; holding one’s own with

ついでに, incidentally; taking the opportunity; while (you) are at it; on the occasion

新生児: しんせいじ, newborn baby

びっしり,

1. closely (packed, lined up, etc.); tightly; densely
  2. (work) sufficiently​

もしや, perhaps; possibly; by some chance; by some possibility​

一念発起: いちねんほっき, being resolved to (do something); having a wholehearted intention​

摂食障害: せっしょくしょうがい, eating disorder

低温やけど: ていおんやけど, moderate-temperature burn; cold burn

赤ぎれ: あかぎれ, chaps; skin fissure

人一倍: ひといちばい, (much) more than others; exceedingly; extremely; unusually

ハードル, hurdle

不可視: ふかし, invisible

ダミー, dummy

すっきり, refreshingly; with a feeling of relief; pleasantly; (a weight) off one’s shoulder​/ shapely; neatly; refinedly/ cleanly; without trouble

ひたすら, intently; single-mindedly; devotedly; solely; earnestly; with all one’s heart​

期限切れ: きげんぎれ, expiration of a term; becoming overdue

ふりかける, to sprinkle over (e.g. salt, pepper, etc. on food)

Just tag (write @ and it will start suggesting people to tag) “Mods” to ask if they can kindly do it :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s pretty standard for the easier / manga-based clubs to use a Google doc for this. A Memrise course can be a great additional resource, but not everybody wants to study the vocab, and Memrise might not be their platform of choice even so. Having a simple shared doc is a good starting point.

2 Likes

I’m just a little lesbian lurker, so feel free to disregard this, but I thought y’all might like using a Google Sheet (excel equivalent) instead of a gdoc! :slight_smile: For the people who want to study the vocab, spreadsheet file formats are useful because you can (kinda) easily convert them to be imported into a lot of study software, like Anki or Memrise. Just a thought that could be helpful~ ^-^ <3

4 Likes