~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

Could I maybe recommend a little site called WaniKani? Oh no, it’s totally not a cult…:joy:

5 Likes

Huh? Who said cult? Nobody said cult. HAHA! Is it getting hot in here?

5 Likes

Can I get an いいね!?

The 15 wanikaniers with you shouting いいね〜!

8 Likes

Make sure to mention Jalup for me :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Damn, you’re really good at this advertising thing…

1 Like

Blink twice if the Crabinator is holding you hostage

Do you guys have any tips for starting off with HelloTalk? Have the app downloaded but don’t really know how to have full seamless conversations yet

2 Likes

Screaming Asian Man

2 Likes

I’ve not really been trying to have conversations so far - I’ve just been writing “moments” in Japanese and then commenting on other people’s. Especially of you put the “please correct me” tag on your posts then you are likely to get good feedback. That seems like a decent place to start and then perhaps conversations might evolve from that point? I’ve only been using it for a few days now though so too early to really know.

1 Like

@sycamore @Meeks33 HelloTalk is a good place to practice your Japanese, though if you’re talking with someone in Japan then timezones may be an issue.

If timezones are preventing you from having live conversations with native Japanese speakers in Japan then I recommend that you post, since posting means that anyone can see it anytime and correct you in the comments.

And one more thing.
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because you learn a lot from them :slight_smile:

deedd73851f44c98c077e37504a53f2b

3 Likes

@GrumpyPanda One day, I am going to re-sell you Jalup!

@Meeks33 Ditto Sycamore. That’s how I spend most of my time on HelloTalk too. I have some language partners that I chat with, but as far as seamless conversation goes, I just do my best until I run out of things I can say lol. If you find a good partner, they will usually simplify their language for you, but if there is something that I am like “woah, this is out of my wheelhouse” you can transliterate and even translate their message, which can help keep the convo going. I will note though that I think you get like 5 translations a day on the app with a free account so if you don’t have a subscription, keep google translate handy!

3 Likes

wooo i’m joining !!

add me if u like, i’m nice :>

8 Likes

I’m newby and only on level 4 but i’m giving my best to improve myself.
I’ll use this plugin to boost myself and study more and more.
If you like to chat or just want to be competitive you are welcome to add me.

Thanks to read and go back to studies!

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Despite using Wanikani for a while, I’m only now discovering scripts and this one seems like a lot of fun being able to see everyone’s progress and pushing yourself to do better. If anyone wants to add me, please feel free :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

@kloxy @joseloolo2 @Diamond_Dust
welcome! :tada: i hope you’ll find this thread entertaining as well as educational :relieved:
we love new people here! and good luck in your japanese endeavors :+1: we’re all cheering you on!

6 Likes

Gotcha. That makes sense though. It seems like a relatively nice place to get used to things. I’ll probably start with that. Thanks! You give iTalki a go yet?

Thanks @trombonekun91 and @Hashiraa! I appreciate the advice!

I don’t think my timezone is an issue at the moment but its just difficult when all I can do is form sentences at Genki 1 level max. I do need to start conversing again somehow so I think I’ll give the posting a go and start messaging some people?

Thanks for the heads up! Is google translate decent at sentence translations? I['ve had mixed experiences using it a few times

2 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t hang my hat on it to use an old phrase lol. Google Translate gets super confused since subjects are dropped all the time in Japanese, but it will definitely give you the ability to continue a conversation by giving you the “gist,” and it’s really useful for individual words.

Do it! Better than scrolling through your news feed or Facebook. :grin: I’m studying Genki now! Got my lesson tonight!!

2 Likes

I feel like every time I check this forum I find out about a new exciting sounding resource - I am going to have to download HelloTalk now! I really don’t have the time to add anything to my plate right now tbh since I’m super busy with uni but oh well :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Yeah HelloTalk is nice honestly! But I sadly removed it since I was too bad at the language and I knew like 0 words so I was too ashamed, I might try it out again though!

Also do you want to be friends? I’m looking for some friends who are studying Japanese. (If anyone reading this wants to be my friend, feel free to reply)

4 Likes

I’m always up to meet new people and make friends :slightly_smiling_face: count me in.

Also congratulations for moving up from level 10 to level 11 @trombonekun91!

5 Likes

Woo, level 3 now I will just focus on getting everything to enlightened+ before trying to find a way to fund a subscription. (Didn’t mean to make this a reply lmao)

2 Likes