~Level 7 Leaderboard Group

Good luck with starting on iTalki! Good job for getting out there and and trying to find a teacher that works for you. I really need to do the same, but I’m still caught up in that anxiety bubble. :sweat_smile: Definitely not an easy thing to do, but you’ve got it! :slight_smile:

Also, for this:

Try looking into て form + いる if you haven’t already encountered that grammar yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did half the lessons that are available on the platform. Most of them i found to be really good, the reviews don’t really work for the grammar points IMO, Bunpro is still way better, as it asks you to fill the blanks with several examples, perhaps thats the main reason i prefer Bunpro + Self Learning over NativShark…And its cheaper! Nevertheless, the grammar aspect of NativShark is probably its best aspect.The vocab learning is alright, it uses phrases instead of just vocab, which is a better way imo. It tries to use only the kanjis you already learned within the platform (even though the kanji teaching in it kinda sucks).

All around, its a great tool, but i think it does lack some kinda of images/videos lessons and more Bunpro like grammar exercises. Its very agressive with its pricing… I mean, 1500U$ for lifetime is kinda crazy, and the thing is not even done yet…

1 Like

I already did! Im supposed to know all N5 grammar (at least is what Bunpro says) But im not sure I really know how to phrase it! Misa sensei is not by my side to correct me :joy: Well, I guess I will find out soon enough :rofl:

Im really nervous, but at the same time, it will be my first conversation in portuguese with someone who knows japanese! I have not used any material in portuguese, and my english is far from good :sweat_smile:, so im kinda looking forward to it at the same time!

Hey, at least you have exposure to a lot of it then. Just need to get that practice in, and you’ll be there before you know it! :sunglasses: And you’ll have the support of your native tongue? You’re about to be a rockstar! :metal::star2:

2 Likes

4 Likes

I probably sound like a broken record saying this, but Jalup really helped me with getting a steady pace through grammar. Doing 10 cards/day instead of “Ehh… I’ll do a chapter every two weeks. Definitely.” was something I really needed. Others do the same thing with Bunpro or the Tango decks.
Learning that beginner grammar will make a huge difference in comprehension, make sure to keep at it :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Edit: On second thought, my sleepdrunk brain misinterpreted what you wrote. This helps absolutely nothing with production practice ! :'D

2 Likes

I took “conversation” italki classes for the year before I passed N3. During that time I was just having regular conversation but trying to be very cognizant of working in the grammar points I was working on outside of class on my own. I prefer not to do the “class” type classes as they tend to be more expensive and I feel like I’m at the point of diminishing returns for studying
each grammar point in a class environment. Otherwise not really other study than working through those first 8 chapters of Tobira. I took the official practice test about a month before the test and then really studied my mistakes, and I had started looking at the Kanji in Context workbook but I didn’t really use it (starting to use it now for my N2 study).

I can agree with a lot of this. I think that’s why I find Italki and reading to be so valuable, and of course TV/anime to a certain extent, too (while I’ve known a few people who have become extremely proficient in Japanese pretty exclusively from bingeing anime, they’re the exception, not the rule from my perspective). The more exposure you have to the grammar, vocabulary, kanji, etc. in real life, the better. You can’t expect to get out of a brain what you haven’t put into it. For grammar that means a LOT of different contexts for each grammar point to understand how it functions (even without the need to fully analyze it). I think the fact that the first few chapters of Tobira now feel exactly as you say “some grammar concepts I struggled with […] now seem so fundamental that I barely pay attention to them” indicates to me that I’ve achieved that level of ‘mastery’ I’m looking for by osmosis almost.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was pretty upset when they changed their pricing, because I was paying just $7 a month until that point which I was pretty happy with… But they had a promotion over the holidays which meant you could get the yearly subscription and get a second year free so it worked out to be $185/24 = $7.70 a month which seemed close enough for me :smile:

1 Like

Can I join? Or am I too low level?

4 Likes

That sounds like a really good place to get to! It must be really cool to realise that something that gave you trouble is now almost habit! :slight_smile:

I had my first Japanese class last night and it was alright! There seems to be a range of levels in the class. One of the other new people hadn’t learned how to read hiragana and katakana yet though (which given this is the beginner rather than the absolute beginner class he probably should have or should be in the lower class) so that was a bit awkward as the teacher was expecting us to read stuff and you could tell he was pretty overwhelmed!

Otherwise the pace was fairly slow but not too bad. We got homework to do and it’s making me realise how bad my handwriting even just for hiragana and katakana is - I’m so slow and sometimes even have to recheck things I can type or recognise easily! Hopefully will speed up with practice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Of course you can join! Feel free to put yourself in the first post!

3 Likes

it’s fine if you’re a lower level, we’re all just here to cheer each other on and help each other out. we already have a wide range of levels, from level 3 to 17 so you can see, this is not an exclusive club at all!
if you think being apart of this group will motivate you, and you’re interested, then i can’t see why you shouldn’t join!

i’m sure you’ll catch up in no time :+1:

1 Like

beebeechan 13 -> 14,
kjwoods 12 -> 13,
neversleep 12 -> 13,
fune 11 -> 12,
edzin 11 -> 12,
techneko 11 -> 12,
grumpypanda 10 -> 11,
quimda 10 -> 11,
burgerdough 8 -> 9,
edamami 8 -> 9,
jgetto 8 -> 9,
sakaijin 8 -> 9,
vickery 7 -> 8,
hashiraa 6 -> 7,
xaito 6 -> 7,
hevireyn 5 -> 6,
jerred 5 -> 6,
moribund 5 -> 6

10 Likes

So many level ups! Well done all!

4 Likes

I wish to see you progress aswell :slight_smile:

Though be sure to stick around to see me Level 60 in the near future… :relieved:

5 Likes

Hello! I’ve been wanting to pick up the pace recently so I figured this would be a good way to get myself going :smiley:

7 Likes

Aww! He needs the Tofugu Learn Hiragana and Katakana guides lol. I guess when you think of languages like French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. no English speaker is truly an absolute beginner, but when you take up Japanese as an English speaker, you are definitely an absolute beginner lol

2 Likes

Welcome @smellslikerain! It’s a really nice group of people! :slight_smile:

@trombonekun91 I am so into HelloTalk now, it’s so good! Haven’t been messaging anyone yet but I’ve been getting some really helpful feedback on my posts and it also feels good whenever you get an いいね!

3 Likes

Yeah! There’s a class whatsapp group so once everyone has joined I am planning on sharing those guides as they are so good. Have already shared the tofugu guides on setting up a Japanese keyboard on your phone etc haha. They’ll think I’m being paid to advertise them…

3 Likes

Yess! いいね is such a good feeling! Today, I posted おはよー! 今日はとても忙しい。and I got three or four 頑張ってね’s haha! Occasionally, I’ll post something that blows up with conversation and it’s so much fun!

Do you have a minute to talk about tofugu.com and all of their wonderful articles and resources? :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes