Level 60 Rant (and Future Plans)

I will celebrate today (mostly because of my countrys national day, but also because of level 60 :slight_smile: ). Here is some pie I made for the celebration today.

First time making pie.

22 Likes

Ooh, Congrats!!! :partying_face: :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ve become a role model for me because I have the same pace as you (11 days avg, 14 days max, plan to finish under 2 years)! I hope your plans for your studies and for going to Japan will end up well. Congratulations!

3 Likes

Congrats! :smiley: Time to eat your cake now! :cake:
I’ve never heard of HouHou. That looks like an excellent learning tool.

3 Likes

That is a very nice pie!

3 Likes

Congratulations! Math and languages - such a wonderful combination! Best of luck on your MEXT application!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks! That is very nice to hear. I wish you very well in the rest of your WaniKani journey!

2 Likes

Thank you! I really like the combination, but both are very hard :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Congratulations TobyOne Shinobi! :partying_face: :cake:

It looks like you have a bright future ahead of you, good luck on your journey.

1 Like

Wow. Reading it all and realizing that I still have a lot more to do. I have recently started. Can you tell me more about MEXT? Why did you not get in the first time? I was planning to do my masters, as well, in management but that would be impossible without a scholarship.

1 Like

Same here!

Also, good job!! I relate on the consistency part, I was really bad at keeping habits up until the new year when I settled down and decided to work on it. WK has helped a lot with making me realize I’m more than capable of being consistent with something ^^

2 Likes

Yeah! MEXT is the japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology, so basically a part of the government that arranges a lot of stuff in said topics. To attract good students to Japan, they have some scholarships. There is at least one for being good at speaking Japanese, they have one for 5-year undergraduate program and one for “research student”, which is the one I am applying for. Research students refers to graduate students and it is either for masters or phd, 1.5 years to 6 years depending on many things. The scholarship is open for applying everywhere Japan has a diplomatic connection to, which is basically everywhere they got an embassy. Each individual nations embassy arranges much of the application themselves, so you should google your Japanese embassy and read what they have to said about it (dates and amount of people given the scholarship vary). However, here is some general information about the scholarship. It is hard to get, good undergraduat university grades are necessary, but not sufficient. The application process is very tedious, the first application should be in 10th of Jun (for me in Norway) and the possible start date is in october 2022, so almost 1.5 years later. You have to do a comprehensive health check (inculding lung x-ray, which take time to get appointed to and might be expensive), every document should be signed by hand and delivered as an original (no digital documents), and so on. There are 3 rounds of interview and screening and if you get past the first one (which makes you a very desirable potential student for the embassy), you still have to get a personal deal with a professor at a Japanese university in the 2nd round. The 3rd is a decision by MEXT globally. There are also specific English and Japanese test.

In Norway, up to 1 person get it each year (0 if no one is sufficiently qualified). Last year, the granted student was doing a phd in Japanese culture, so he was both ahead with the Japanese and with his research career, and had a much better reason of specifically needing to study in Japan. Wanting to learn the Japanese language and Japanese culture is obviously required, though you do not need to already be proficient in either. However, last year I did not dare to speak any Japanese on the interview, which I definitely will try this year. They said that my application was good on many aspects (which I assume is the grades and will to study and learn, interest for Japan etc), but I did not have a very good reason to have to do it in Japan and it that they wanted to see me write or talk more in Japanese.

In general, there are many other scholarships, I am lucky to be potentially covered by my government in Norway. You can contact universities specifically and ask, but I have to warn you that many of the universities are quite rude in their responses (judged on my experience with them).

3 Likes

Congratulations! Reaching level 60 is quite the feat! It was very interesting to read about your experience learning Japanese and what plans you have for the future. I wish you the best of luck with accomplishing your goals!

I am also Norwegian, and am currently attending the Norwegian School of Economics (NHH). I stated in 2018 and took the Japanese elective classes they offer for three semesters. After that I tried to continue learning on my own, and also meet with some of the friends I made while taking the formal Japanese classes. I have known about WaniKani for a while, but it is only recently that I decided to go all-in and get as far as I can. I really want to learn to read Japanese.

I think the SRS method is really neat, and I am also spending quite a bit of time listening to Japanese to get some solid sound-input as well. At some point when I learn a few more kanji I want to pick up some easier novels in Japanese to read. One that I have bought already, but find myself struggling to read is “The Petit Prince”. In the spring of 2019 I went to Tokyo and bought it on the way back.

Good luck with your exams!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply, that was nice to read. Given your earlier Japanese knowledge, the beginning of WaniKani should be quite easy, but after a while you get exposed to a lot of new kanjis. If you want to read Japanese I recommend getting through WaniKani as much as I possibly can recommend something, and I also recommend BunPro. Good luck on your book, I remember reading “Den Lille Prinsen” very young. You should definitely try the WaniKani community book clubs as well, there are a lot of very helpful people there.

Lykke til med japansken og økonomi studiene!

2 Likes

I have been recommended BunPro by a friend and will look into it once I am done with my exams this semester! And thanks for the recommendation for joining the book club! I am doing something similar to the book club with my friends, but I will check that out more in detail as well!

Takk det samme!

2 Likes

Fuck up someone’s plans or intentions. I think I’ve only ever read it in novels or articles though, just realised I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it out loud.

1 Like

How do you maintain such high accuracy? Do you have any techniques you use while thinking about stuff that comes up in reviews? (aside from that I only do reviews 1x per do so that could be another part of the time difference, but I think it’s mostly accuracy)

I’m level 49 with around 1500 days (about a year break but even without that my median is 19 days which is 8 days slower than you).

I will make it to 60 within a year at my current pace but I only have 75-80% accuracy and you have 95%+ which is the difference so I could maybe do a bit better this last stretch of levels if I can look into what some of the faster people are doing.

(I realize it is unlikely you can really tell me anything that would help but just asking)
Here’s my chart

Thanks for the reply. Even though you had some break, you are level 49 now and that means you are slowly getting there. I would not worry about speed, but consistency. For accuracy, I do not have any magical advice, but I would recommend doing reviews 2x a day, and starting to use the leech-scripts. Leeches are really piling up the reviews, so finding them and making new mnemonics really helps.

Oh I’ve never heard of leeches before but I have a lot, I guess I will just review everything from level 1-20 I don’t have burned each day now (maybe sliding window it to 20-30 after 1-10 cleared etc.)

Also for me it’s not a consistency issue because I clear reviews every day, it’s an accuracy issue, and now that I’ve noticed it’s probably that I keep missing the same things for years and haven’t actively ever thought about it or been aware of it.

2 Likes

Hi again, I have had a few lessons on Asao. It seems very promising! The discord is a little bit messily organized, but the option to talk to so many Japanese people basically for free is amazing.