Level 60 - how I keep myself motivated for almost 2 years

First post, level 60, wow O_o
Congratulations!
Welcome to the forum! There is a lot left to learn and the community is amazing =)
Completing the levels is only half of the WK experience (the forum is the other :wink: )

Also, I’m nearing 5 years, currently at level 56 (so nearly there, just, took a detour :crazy_face: )

5 Likes

You’re welcome! Oh my bad for not explaining what 日本語は上手 means. But thank god that others have already explained it better than I ever could. But If I might add, I think you’ll learn 上手 and 日本語 soon enough as they do appear quite early in WaniKani. Also, I’m really glad that you could also get motivated just by reading that. I suppose you’ll get even more motivated once someone eventually told you that. You still have a long journey so best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I sure hope I will! And I hope you can find my advice useful so best of luck for you too! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah I suppose this is my first ever post but I have been a silent reader up to now. Looking back, I should have been more active in the forum since there are lots of useful information here and clearly the people here are lots of fun to talk with. It’s just that I felt like doing my reviews and lessons have been taking a lot of my time and I just couldn’t go to the forum very often. But now that I’ve reached level 60 and daily review will start dropping soon, I think I will be more active here.

Oh nice you’re almost there too. I didn’t find any real difficulties from level 56 to 60 so maybe your experience won’t be too far off. Good luck! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow, congratulations!!! And welcome to the forum as well… I think?

Thanks for all that good advice, I’m actually planning of going to Japan for a year as an exchange student!!!

Also, did learning kanji only first and getting to grammar and co later give you any inconveniences, would you recomend that I do the same (since I don’t have much time on my schedule) or not?

1 Like

Well done!

I guess you deserve this, you’re probably the highest level first poster I’ve given this to, haha…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}

Even if you’ve been a member for a while, so aren’t really new hehe
welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already…
…but you probably have, because you seem like you’re diligent and awesome like that ^-^

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you…
…that you’ve likewise probably already seen, but it still worth mentiioning!

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resource List
The New and Improved List of API and Third-Party Apps

I hope that you continue to enjoy WaniKani that your worship of the Crabigator is eternal!

9 Likes

おめでとうレベル60さん!

I want to go to Japan soon, just got to level 9 like 20 minutes ago lol, I wonder how much I’d be able to interact with people haha

3 Likes

Welcome to Wanikani and Farewell?

Great job man and congratulation!!

I should have saved my first post when I reach level 60… May be creating a new Wanikani ID and restart again might be a good idea. See you guys two years later!!

You are really optimistic with this Covid-19 situation these days lol.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Wow that sounds exciting! I’m glad if my advice could be of use.

Hmm no, I don’t think so. I didn’t find any inconveniences at all. In fact, I think it’s the contrary. Learning kanji first makes everything else easier. The more I learn kanji, the easier it is for me to understand grammar and listen to conversations.
If I remember it correctly, the tofugu’s guide to learning Japanese also recommends prioritizing learning kanji over everything else. This is also one of the reasons why I decided to focus on kanji first. Now that I have reached level 60, I can attest to that recommendation. And since your circumstances (not having too much time) is similar to mine, my answer is yes, I do recommend you to do the same.

Good luck for your exchange student program and hope you have fun studying!

1 Like

Oh my, thank you so much! Especially for the links. I think I could still use some of that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks!

I think the first 10 levels provides you with some of the most useful words so you probably could interact quite a bit. And if you take me as a reference, I was level 7 when I went to Japan and I can still make do somehow. When I was at the bar, I talked quite a bit of topics with the natives there.
Music, anime, my own country and its culture, how my trip in Japan is so far. These are things I didn’t expect I could communicate at all seeing how much I’d learned at that time. But I did it somehow. Sure, there were times when I hit the language barrier but I could say most of the things I meant and most importantly I had fun.
One trick I’ve learned is that when I don’t know the Japanese word, I’d just say it in English. Everyone I interacted with understand every English word I said although they would still reply in Japanese. Perhaps you could use this trick too when you’re in a pinch.

So, good luck to you! Hope you can go to Japan soon!

2 Likes

Thanks man!

But…but… you’re already more than halfway there!

I just hope that I’m not setting a bad example here :laughing:

Like I said in my previous reply, I really think I should have posted sooner though. I just didn’t have too much time and so I became a silent reader up until now.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you!!!

Hearty congratulations on reaching Level 60 @Rakkikun san :smile: :partying_face:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful personal story :raised_hands:

Good luck on your future endeavors :crossed_fingers:

If you don’t mind me asking, what were some of your favorite locations and dishes on your visit to Japan?

surprised-unsurprised

2 Likes

Oh wow to get motivated all you have to do is book a flight to Japan? How did I not think about this before? Thank you so much

I mean Kanji and spoken are two different things. So while you may be able to read some Kanji if people are speaking to you, you won’t necessarily understand them.

2 Likes

Thank you! Hope it can be useful for you!

Hmm let’s see… my favorite location has to be the Kurashiki Bikan Historical Quarter in Okayama. It’s a somewhat secluded building complex with a classic Japanese architecture and a beautiful canal (that you can navigate by riding a boat, by the way) in the middle. I said secluded because I had to walk quite a bit to reach there and the route wasn’t exactly straightforward. But of course, it’s definitely worth it. When I finally reached there, it wasn’t too crowded either so it was just perfect for me. And so, everything I mentioned gave off this serene, calming atmosphere and I absolutely loved it. In and around the complex, there are lots of interesting souvenir shops too so if you want something memorable to take home you’re all covered.

The bar I visited is among my favorite locations, too. It’s a small underground bar in Kobe called Otohatoba. I didn’t plan going to Kobe at all so I went there simply on a whim. From what I can gather, it often hosts indie EDM music show. I really, really like lesser-known Japanese EDM sub-genres so the music was crazy fun for me. Also, the small size (I think it can only accommodate about 30 people at most) allows anyone to just blend in and socialize without being too overwhelming.

My third and final favorite location is a more popular one, the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest in Kyoto. I didn’t like it at first since it was way too crowded. However, once I passed through the main course (the bamboo forest) the crowd dispersed due to the area opening up to more buildings and gardens. At this point, the feeling is not too dissimilar from Kurashiki, serene and calming. My favorite spot here is the lake at the edge of the area (I didn’t remember where exactly, but it’s there). The lake has this greenish, almost teal, water with a nicely paved walkway for me to walk alongside it. While there were main roads nearby, the lake still has a calming rural atmosphere with lush vegetations, animals, and people riding traditional boats.

As for dishes, well… I didn’t try much, unfortunately. I’m sure everyone is already familiar with rice bowls and onigiri and those are what I mostly ate. They are delicious sure but do I really have to tell you to try when you most likely will?
But let me think… my more unique favorite dishes are probably kibi dango and miso soup. I’m not sure what kibi dango is but I think it’s similar to mochi, a chewy, small, sweet cake with various flavors inside. It’s an Okayama specialty so there are plenty in Kurashiki. As for miso soup, it’s simply delicious with its rich umami flavor, tofu, and seaweed. It’s so good that I almost cried the first time I ate it. Now that I’m back in my own country, I still eat miso soup from time to time. Thank god there are plenty of Japanese restaurants here.

Well, that’s all. Sorry if it’s a bit lengthy but yeah I hope it could serve as a useful reference for you!

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I originally intended my trip to Japan just to give me the initial push I need to finally start learning Japanese. It ended up giving me much more motivations than I could ask for.

I think I might have given the wrong impressions there so thanks for clearing this up! I guess you’re right. Knowing kanji and words may help to some extent, but being able to comprehend spoken words is another matter. If you don’t mind, I will chose this as a ‘solution’. Thanks again!

1 Like

If you go to Japan, or speak to a Japanese person this is something that they will say to you XD
It’s so common ahaha. Even if you say something very simple or basic they will say it to you!

2 Likes