Level 60 - A lurker's perspective

Glad you liked it! :grin: And some coincidences can be weird. :joy: But, that just makes you reaching lv 60 all that much better!

Wishing you the best of luck with your future studies! :slight_smile:

Ganbattle

3 Likes

Thanks for the post! Congrats on level 60!!

I relate with your grammar sentiments…

What kind of cake are you getting?

1 Like

I’ll probably be having some of this delish alligator cake while waiting for the crab cakes to finish. Rumor has it that they must be burned.

2 Likes

Amazing post, thanks for sharing. It’s great to see hear from someone who has completed the Journey. You made it in pretty good time, I’ve been clearing about a level a month and I’m currently on level 6 :expressionless: .

With regards to the Scripts, I don’t quite understand the value they bring - Do you think it’s best if I install the scripts you had used and continue from there or to continue with the Vanilla WK?

Currently I’m using Vanilla WK on Web and Flaming Durtles for my Phone App.

Thanks again for sharing your story! ありがとう

1 Like

I’ve been clearing about a level a month and I’m currently on level 6

I think that you shouldn’t worry too much about how fast you are going, as long as you are comfortable and satisfied with your pace. But if you currently feel like kanji is a greater obstacle to using Japanese than other aspects (e.g. grammar), you could consider dialing down on grammar studies and up on kanji studies/WaniKani.

With regards to the Scripts, I don’t quite understand the value they bring - Do you think it’s best if I install the scripts you had used and continue from there or to continue with the Vanilla WK?

I think the value that the scripts provide is individual, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that you install all these scripts if you don’t see a need for them right now. I went through almost half of the levels without using any scripts at all, so I think it’s definitely possible to complete all 60 levels without the use of any scripts.

The main value that I got out of using these scripts is that they made a lot of things easier, especially things that I was doing anyway:

• Whenever I failed a review where I was certain that the answer was something else, I had to go and look up the other item I was thinking about. The ConfusionGuesser script made that easier.
  • Whenever I was introduced to a new kanji that looked sort-of similar to one (or more) I already knew, I had to go look up the differences. The Niai Similar Kanji script made that easier.
  • Whenever I got a failed review due to mistyping, I could use the Double-Check script to undo, so I wouldn’t have to spend extra time on things I already knew.

Some of them also helped guiding my learning towards thinking about kanji/vocab in a certain way, in turn making things easier in unexpected ways, like the Keisei Phonetic-Semantic Composition script.

Let me add that I didn’t just install these scripts in one go, and I also uninstalled scripts along the way that I didn’t find useful. All them were installed out of some realization that I kept doing the same things in cumbersome ways, or because they just seemed like they would add value to some area of WaniKani.

So maybe start thinking about how you are using WaniKani for your studies, and then try to find the scripts that make your approach easier. That is basically what I did. There are so many great scripts out there, so probably also ones that address your particular needs.

In case you missed it, I shared a post earlier in this thread about the value I found in using each script:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this post.

Your WaniKani wisdom is already helping me.

1 Like

Amazing - Thanks again for the detailed response, that makes my understanding of the scripts so much clearer.

I think I will more than likely run into the issue of visually-similar Kanji as the levels get higher so I’ll begin to monitor how I’m using the app and what I find cumbersome and find the right scripts for me.

Thanks again and congratulations on reaching 60 :).
-ジョシュ

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.