Level 25, and Proud!

This isn’t my “woo level 60!” post, but I would imagine that I’ll feel very similar when that happens. There was a thread a few days ago about average time to level. There are a lot of people that post on here about taking 7-8 days to regularly pass a level, and for those people, that’s incredible! Being able to have that kind of consistency is amazing, and you should feel awesome for the accomplishment!

The other side of that, though, is the not 7-8 days per level. I wanted to show and tell my experience for others that are feeling frustrated, because I’ve been there. I’ve had a few big disruptions, like at level 15; we had some issues with a foster daughter, and as a result I just didn’t do anything. My brain couldn’t pivot away from home problems long enough to even think about Japanese, let alone try to memorize kanji or keep a consistent review schedule.

My level 24 also blew up spectacularly. We sold our house and thought we had a good place lined up, but that ended up getting torpedoed, and now we’re still living in our friend’s house. We have another house FINALLY almost ready for close, but I didn’t care about kanji at all when I was panicking about where we were going to be living.

Those are big examples, but there are also just other little examples too. Levels 13 and 21? I was just busy! Work stuff, family stuff, obligations. It happens.

It’s easy to come back to WK (or another other endeavor you’ve set yourself to) after a disruption and feel, well, kinda lousy. It’s always a fight for me to fight that tinge of failure, or that it’s somehow a sign that I’m just not ___-as everyone else (insert: dedicated, motivated, smart, etc…)

That’s bogus. The fight will suck, because you come back to a bajillion reviews for stuff you can’t remember. It’ll be frustrating, but you’re dedicated enough to get through it. You’ll get your motivation back once you start to see your reviews drop, and you start to pick up new material, and you remember how much you love the learning aspect, and not just the race. You’re smart enough to realize that learning anything, not just a language, is a life long journey, so a few months of disruption will not break you.

So here. Here’s my graph of shame, that I’m actually really proud of. I’m ecstatic that I finally put level 24 in the bag this morning. If you’re stuck, it’s ok! You can do it! And we’re proud of you, too!

88 Likes

Level 25 HYPE. We’re proud of you, too!

5 Likes

Congratulations, now push for 35!

2 Likes

Way to go!

For me, this journey is a marathon not a sprint. You’re doing amazing! Good job!

3 Likes

Thank you @finnra! =D

@BroccoliPanera haha, one level at a time! I’m excited for level 30, since that’s the half way mark! The email for 25 was like “WK used to have only 50 levels, so this would have been half way!” so 50% seemed like a good goal to eyeball. I’m going to try to get a couple of levels before we’re moving into the new place, should be doable!

5 Likes

@Ragecup my original goal was to try to be done with WK before we went back to Japan this year, which I totally wouldn’t have made, but our trip was cancelled due to covid anyway. So I get a second chance, since we’re not going back until 2020 now. I get a two year do-over!

4 Likes

Congrats! Of course you can’t quickly level up because of reasons, and that’s understandable. Hope everything goes well with you.
One of the reasons why I am pushing to level up fast is because I’ll start college next year, and I really need to get WK off my back. No more lessons would be godsend.

4 Likes

You’re so close!!! Good job, you’re almost there!!

3 Likes

It’s my 3rd anniversary here tomorrow and I’m only 4 levels above you, so don’t worry, you’re doing just fine. It is right and good that you prioritise family and a roof over your head above learning an additional language, so it’s good to know you are actually proud; as my therapist says, “Shame is optional”

So, to re-label it for the both of us, here’s my Graph of Perseverance:

P.S. I love your username - do you also speak French?

20 Likes

Congrats :confetti_ball: It’s very inspiring journey. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

@Rowena I used to! My grandmother was from Marseille, so in middle school I took French so I could speak to her. She’s been gone a long time, and I’ve long forgotten all of it, but my name is pretty French-y and I like the username cause it reminds me of her. :grinning:

I LOVE calling it the Graph of Perseverance! A MUCH better way of looking at it! I’ll think of that every time I check stats now!

I also really like your therapist. Shame is totally optional!

9 Likes

Congratulations Chantruese San :tada:

You are awesome :clap: It’s not easy to face such hardships and still have a positive outlook on life. Let me say it one more time “YOU ARE AWESOME” .

I wish you good luck in clearing away all your real life troubles and kanji troubles. Here’s to a path of slow, steady and unyielding progress :raised_hands:t2:

頑張ってください

1 Like

Level 27 and been here since mid-2016, here’s MY Graph of Perseverance:

15 Likes

You’re AWESOME for sticking with it! It’s gonna be so worth it when we’re speaking and reading Japanese like pros, right? :grinning:

3 Likes

I did not have enough encourage to join or post my progress in this forum until your post because of my lousy progress.

But calling it Graph of Perseverance and seeing similar cases made me feel less introvert.

15 Likes

Seriously though, congrats! :grin: You’ve come so far already :sob: :heart:

4 Likes

Yeah, not sure why it’s still 24? I’m working my level 25 stuff now. Update my damn level flair, WK! :rofl:

1 Like

ANY progress is incredible progress! You’re doing great! I’m glad you came to join our thread :grinning:

2 Likes

good job :grin: :rainbow:

1 Like