Level 21 before 2021!

My two cents regards the slow or fast discussion: slow or fast depends on people. you are absolutely fine if 2 weeks / level fit your pace ( 2 levels/month)
most important is to not burn yourself out and still keep the curious mind of a 初心者

11 Likes

Mini update: As long as I don’t screw my reviews up tomorrow, I will be advancing on to level 3! I still have 20 vocab to do, but, other than that, I will have access to level 3 radicals. =D

This seems to work for me:
Do all of the radicals in a single day/two days (depends on how hard they are to remember)
Do 10 kanji/vocab per day.

Each level should take me just over a week at that pace, I believe. Not sure if my pace will slow down or speed up, though. The later levels seem quite hard and daunting. O.O

4 Likes

You did it! I see that you’re on level 3 now!

My pace is about the same as yours now, a little more than a week per level. If we keep it up, we should be able to finish level 20 by the end of 2020!

3 Likes

Mhm. Definitely.

Currently, I am aiming for level 8 as I think that’s a decent point to get to. I want to get there by roughly August at the latest, if that’s possible. I wish you the best of luck, too, of course. I have, however, come to realise that each level has an absurd amount of vocabulary. xD

Quite cool, to be honest, but a bit time consuming. See you on level 3 very soon! =D

3 Likes

I’m lvl 8 now but i take about a a month per lvl. Hopefully, I can lvl up faster now

5 Likes

The thing is I pay for wanikani by myself (I’m 13) so that makes me definitely want to go as fast as I can. (big motivation HAHAH)

13 Likes

I am definitely in. It would be nice to have some others hold me responsible for slacking!! I am living in Japan at the moment and learning Japanese here as well. I would recommend Genki for learning grammar! I am also a more visual learner so I like to use Japanese Ammo with Misa as well. I usually watch one of the beginner lessons without taking notes, wait a day and then watch it again with notes. It also helps talking to native Japanese speakers and getting their opinions on certain things. I think the app HelloTalk may be helpful as well in that regard.

3 Likes

Hi there, I think I might join you! I went a little fast the first 7 levels. In the end I had a lot of vocab in my apprentice stack (about 100 - 150) and I stared mixing them up. I decided to step on the break and to sort things out. Took me about 20 days. I am down to 30 old vocab / kanji in my apprentice sack. Today I started to learn new ones. However, I keep it slow. Started with ten and then I will see how quick I learn them. Not sure if I make it to level 21 by January but it is a fine goal.

3 Likes

Yay! Welcome, all of you! I’m so glad that we can work together to reach our goal!

As of today (March 25), we have a little more than 40 weeks to go until January 1st 2021. We can do it! More than 2 weeks per level still!

5 Likes

頑張て (がんばて)!

I am having breakfast and then back to study some grammar.
I am looking forward to see how it goes for all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have achieved what I set out to do this year :muscle:

6 Likes

I just reached level 4! Level 3 took 10 days. 10-14 days per level is a good pace for me I think.

If I keep my pace at 10-14 days per level, I should have no problem finishing level 20 before New Year’s Eve.

Onwards and upwards!

6 Likes

nice! I just reached level 6. I think level 4 took me around 15 days (slacked a little bit) but level 5 took me around 9 days. Trying to keep my pace consistent and resist abusing the error undo script.

3 Likes

Congrats!

I have gone too fast and burned out on Anki and similar SRS systems before. I love love love!!! that WaniKani forces you to actually learn what’s on the level you are on before giving you new things to learn. Yes, it can be boring to wait for the last kanji to reach Guru, but that’s so much better than drowning in new items and reviews and burn out.

I know that there are both re-order and error undo scripts out there. For now I’m going to pretend that I don’t know and certainly not install them. Slow and steady is a lot better than burning out!

6 Likes

I agree with you on the scripts. I recently moved to Japan so the Error undo script isnt insanely detrimental to my learning at this point (I regularly see many of my learned Kanji on a day to day basis). But if you are really trying to memorize Kanji without any external help I would advise against it. The only trade-off being unfortunate typos cant be undone (ie- I always hit “s” instead of “z”). I try to only use the re-order script if I am brain-dead at the end of a ton of reviews and want to go through a couple easier learning sections (radicals etc). It kind of messes with the flow of some of the vocabulary and kanji learning I find though.

Edit: lets also see if we can keep on pace for out next level up pal! hopefully see you back here in about a week!

4 Likes

Yes! The race is on :wink:

I always make mistakes with long vowels, especially と、とう、とお、こ、こう、こお。It’s very tempting to use a script so I can go back and correct my mistakes, but I know that in the long run I have to learn which kanji take which long vowel. It’s better to have a kanji to a few extra passes through the Apprentice grades now so that I learn it. If I don’t then it will come back and be even harder later.

5 Likes

I just joined you in level :slight_smile:
I agree about the undo script, I only use it for typo’s now. Those “oh but I knew that” kanji only come back to bite you in the ass later.

4 Likes

I just got to level 5! Yay! 60 new lessons to go through. I’ll try to spread it out a little so I don’t drown!

How are you doing?

4 Likes

I would like to join your goal as well. Level 21 seems like a good goal to me :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m joining in! The highest I’ve gotten before losing motivation (life has been hectic) the last few times has been around level 8 somewhere. This goal seems achievable without me burning out, so may help me not to lose focus :slight_smile:

Great idea!

5 Likes