Level 21 before 2021!

So…

My brain seems to not be retain information as well as it did at the beginning. So… I think of taking a break from lessons. (I will still be doing reviews!)

Basically - What I want to do is split WaniKani into digestible sections and then totally complete that section until 100% of that section’s items are burned and then starting lessons again. While on an “off period” of wanikani lessons, I will have more brain space to focus on grammar.

On - Level 1-20
Off - N4 Grammar
On - 21-40
Off - N3 Grammar
On - 41-60
Off - N2 Grammar

Is this a reasonable plan? Does anyone else feel this way. I’m just not sure I can do WaniKani straight through. My mind is revolting.

9 Likes

I think there is nothing wrong with slowing down. I would keep in mind that burning something takes around 3 months so make sure you are okay with with that. Personally I would try doing fewer lessons each day and see if you still get burnt out.

4 Likes

I’m with you, after I hit level 21 I’m going to slow down on lessons and focus on my grammar studies.

7 Likes

No way to reach lvl21, even at 6d 20h, but I leveled up again at least :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I have the review tracker so I’m plan for that. it actually takes 5 months from start the burn… so maybe that it too long idk. I’m all or nothing. I either want to level up in seven days or break lessons for a month.

2 Likes

I have the review tracker so I am planning for that. it actually takes 5 months from start the burn… so maybe you are right, that is too long idk? I’m all or nothing. I either want to level up in seven days or break lessons for a month.

2 Likes

It’s impossible to reach 21 by January 1 if you have not started in the summer (at the latest), but any progress is good. You can set your personal goal to hit with a reasonable level-up speed.

3 Likes

Exactly. I feel like with hard items coming back for enlightened and later burn reviews, that I’m not having enough memory space to left to also learn the new items with enough rigor. It’s like I’m watching leeches being made, and know that they will come back harder in the future.

That’s why I want to slow down to destroy the leeches and then continue again in the future.

5 Likes

@TheAncient

If you went at full speed you could get to level 12 by the end of the year, which would still be an amazing accomplishment.

3 Likes

It is a reasonable plan Amagi san :slightly_smiling_face: and it’s ok to focus on one thing at a time. You can focus on only WK and once you feel like you are back on track you can also focus on grammar.

You need not always focus on grammar, you can try reading a line or two from NHK news or satori reader to take a break from WK.

5 Likes

Congrats on the level up @TheAncient san :sunglasses:

tenor

Level 21 was a broad goal, the main goal is to keep the momentum going. If you are active and Level 12 by the end of the year, I believe that would be an excellent progress and could serve was as a strong launch into the new year. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

If you follow any sports manga/anime, there are always two national tournaments Inter-High and Spring Tournament.

If the protagonists don’t win the Inter-high, they would undergo extra training in the meanwhile and go all out in the Spring Tournament :sunglasses:

If we consider Level 21 before 2021 as Inter-high, then consider March into 21 in 2021 as Spring Tournament :slightly_smiling_face:

みんなさん、
I have one word for you 飛べ (とべ - Fly)

12 Likes

Can I just say that I love this thread and everyone in it? You are all so positive and it just brings a smile to my day every time.

If you’re joining us late and you don’t think you can hit 21 by the end of the year, feel free to set your own goal. The purpose of this thread is to support and encourage each other, regardless of the exact number you’re aiming for.

12 Likes

Kind of irrelevant, but this post made me realize that NEXT YEAR IS 2021???!! WHAT!?? I cannot believe that. It seems like this year went by so slowly, but in reality there’s only two months. Also, i’d love to join, and I think this is a great idea! I don’t expect to reach level 20, but I want to see how high I can reach. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

Feel free to add yourself by editing the first post. It doesn’t matter if you can’t reach it by January, but I bet once we reach 21 looking back to this thread and seeing where we started will feel great.

3 Likes

How do I edit the post? Or do I just add my name to the google sheets

2 Likes

On the first post, click the edit button on the top right

Then go to the bottom right and click edit wiki. Scroll towards the end and you then you can edit the post.

I created a line with your name already (towards the bottom), so you just need to edit it with your own goal, speed etc. You can use the google sheet to calculate your forecast for Jan 2021 based on your speed.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help!

2 Likes

Everyone else on this forum has been so helpful to me, I’m glad I was able to pass a little bit of it a long :slight_smile:

Welcome to the race and I hope you stick around!

6 Likes

Leveled up to 19 - already a week ago but only did my first lessons today as university got me busy and I was occupied with my burn reviews.

I burned 1146 items now and I had days where this reviews came in batches so I was very busy. But better be slow than giving up :+1:t2:

9 Likes