Level 21 before 2021!

Hello! I’d like to join as well \(⌒▽⌒)

I joined WaniKani a week ago and am really motivated so far. I’m hoping that motivation won’t fade but having some study buddy friends will definitely help in times when it does.

I’m mostly learning Japanese because I want to feel more connected to the culture (I’m half-Japanese). I’m kicking myself for it now, but I resisted learning Japanese when I was a child - didn’t want to “stand out”. Now I’m furiously trying make up for it by studying as an adult.

My goal is to be able to speak with my mum in her native language. She’s not fluent in English and sometimes it’s difficult to communicate more abstract concepts, so having Japanese as another option to express ideas would be really freeing. I know I’m not going to achieve that goal any time soon but the journey is just as important and I’m enjoying it so far!

What’s everyone else’s goals?

8 Likes

Welcome to WK!

This is ambitious for someone who’s been studying for less than a year, but I might like to get a job in Japan someday.

5 Likes

Great nickname! Do you write it in hiragana or katakana?

When I was choosing a language in my school (it offers 3 languages: Spanish, French and Chinese. You have to take one of them) I was thinking “What is the closest to Japanese?” Back then I planned to wait till I was done with school before starting Japanese, but I changed my mind later, a year after I had chosen. So basically I chose Chinese because of anime as well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
-マイキー

2 Likes

Do you mean me personally? Or is there a rule for which kana you’re supposed to use? Excuse my ignorance, just curious hehe.

2 Likes

It really comes down to personal opinion, but most foreign names are written in katakana when in Japanese.

2 Likes

I’m with you the adventure is what makes the goal worthwhile.

My goal is to get to native level mastery. I want to open up my opportunities.

3 Likes

aaaahh. Tradition seem like the way to go but personally I think I prefer the curvy look of hiragana. ahahahha

BTW JUST reached level 2!!!

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: YES! They say you only get the cake at level 60 but I think it’s okay to take a bite anyway!!

3 Likes

hahahahaha. Agree.

2 Likes

Thank you for suggesting Cure Dolly’s videos on youtube. I like the philosophy of the teaching method.

2 Likes

Thank you!

That’s cool, any particular job? Or would you just be happy living and working in Japan?

1 Like

Good luck in your adventure! What kind of opportunities do you want to open up?

I’ve just started using Tsurukame! It’s really good for keeping me at it!

Wow look at how many people joined the cause @Marifly

Until now it was smooth sailing. I remembered everything from before and I hardly got anything wrong, but now I’m encountering kanji again that I can’t recall even though I just learned them… Now the real fun begins :slight_smile: I’m also starting to confuse the readings again for day/month/year in all their configurations (every/last/next x…), but I made a table this time around and it seems to help a bit, at least I can review them with a quick glance.

It looks like we won’t be allowed to leave the country to go on a holiday and even if we will be, it makes planning for one a major hassle. We were hoping to go to Slovenia (mountain hiking with our dog). I guess the good part is we’ll save some money and I don’t have to learn yet another language :stuck_out_tongue:

How is everyone else doing?

2 Likes

Perfect! The more the merrier!

1 Like

Yes! I love it!

Yup, same here. Level 7 blues! But we’ll get through it.

New Year’s Eve is in 34 weeks. We still have a lot of time!

1 Like

Wow that’s really interesting. :slight_smile:
Looking forward to hear about saving grammar in there as well.
Thanks for explaining! :dizzy:
Maybe I should try it as well, at least for the Kanji that I seem not to remember that easily.

it seems the content of Cure Dollys videos is good but the voice is just unbearable. I can´t get through a whole video. It´s quite a shame …

3 Likes

Meeting new people and traveling through Japan. Also Business opportunities, Japan is the third largest economy if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

I’m still contemplating doing memory palaces for grammar too.

You should! Like you said do it for the kanji that give you a hard time. I can almost guarantee that you will have no problem remembering them afterward.

The trick is to make the mnemonics memorable, funny, scary, gruesome etc. the more impact the less forgettable and as for the palace choose any familiar place. Your house, supermarket, park etc. just make sure it is a place you know well.

1 Like