Level 21 before 2021!

Yay! Congrats! I’ll hit level 12 today I think. Good luck with your reviews!

Thank you! No, it’s better to go slow and not burn out. I just have to figure out how to do it!

I think I actually talked to you about this topic before, or rather sent you a link about it ^^. But I agree, pacing yourself and taking things slower is the right approach. I would recommend you to spread out your Kanji and vocabulary, so have to learn the same amount everyday, instead of trying to get all the lessons done before the second wave, since that seems like working against yourself. Personally, I look at the amount of vocab for a level and then calculate the number of days I need, when learning the same amount every day. I like to do 10 lessons a day, so for a level with 120 vocab that’s 12 days. And then I adjust the kanji accordingly, so that I level up on that last day (that’s a bit tricky to calculate, but it’s still basic math xd). Admittedly, this doesn’t work perfectly, since there aren’t enough vocab lessons available in the beginning of a level, so I accept a little backlog of old vocabulary. That way I never have 0/0, but I’ve got a steady study-rythm (which is way more valuable in my opinion) and I’m only like 30 vocab-lessons behind.

Level 6 complete!

@_@

Training like Naurto!

8 Likes

Thank you! Yes, you’re right. My system of doing all radicals and kanji before the second wave worked great up until level 10. Then at level 11 I had to change things up and now I’m still experimenting. I have changed WaniKani to give me everything randomized rather than radicals then kanji and then vocab, and I have changed Tsurukame to give me vocab before kanji. I hope that helps on level 12. I’m experimenting with the reorder and lesson filler scripts too. Getting that 0/0 is really motivating for me so I want to find a way that lets me get that at least once per level. Ideally I would like a steady 10 days per level and that worked great for the first 10 levels. Level 11 looks like it will be about 12 days and level 12 will probably be about 12-14 days too. After that I hope to find a new rythm at around 10-12 days per level and hitting 0/0 at least once per level. We’ll see!

So basing your pacing on number of vocab, not on total number per level or number of kanji per level. Good idea! I want to do 20 lessons per day, but the last couple of weeks I have done fewer than that.

Level 12 has 14 radicals, 39 kanji and 134 vocab. 187 items total. If I aim for 12 days on level 12, that should give me about 15 lessons per day, with about 10 vocab and 5 radicals or kanji per day. In addition to that, I have to add in a couple of days in the beginning of the level to get through what’s left of level 11, so I’ll probably spend about 14 days on level 12 all in all. That sounds doable. I’ll try that and see how it goes. Thanks again!

1 Like

Yay! Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

If we take level 12 as an example (and aim for 12 days), I would calculate it like this (assuming you start the level with 0/0, because you already did all the vocab of the last level):
Day 1: All the radicals
Day 2: 5 Kanji, 10 vocabulary
Day 3: 5 Kanji, 10 vocabulary
Day 4: 5 Kanji, 10 vocabulary
Day 5: 5 Kanji, 10 vocabulary
Day 6: 4 Kanji, 11 vocabulary
Day 7: 4 Kanji, 11 vocabulary
Day 8: 4 Kanji, 11 vocabulary
Day 9: 4 Kanji, 11 vocabulary
Day 10: 3 Kanji, 12 vocabulary
Day 11: 15 vocabulary
Day 12: 15 vocabulary
You automatically guru the necessary Kanji in order to level up on that last day.
That would leave you with 8 unlearned vocabulary lessons from level 12. Those you can space out, do on the radical day, etc. But as I said before, this only works hypothetically. In reality, you will have a few days after radical day, where there won’t be any vocabulary to learn and then it unlocks all at once. It’s up to you to decide, if you want to spend the first few days of a new level clearing out the old vocabulary and then getting 0/0 or just stay in the rythm and always have a slight backlog.
Also note, that this method is quite depending on Kanji-accuracy. You can fail Kanji on the apprentice 2 stadium, but higher than that would prove difficult, because you would delay you level up date. So, if you’re concerned about that, just learn the three Kanji-lessons on day 10 before day 10.
If you’re interested in a more detailed explanation of this method (which works very well for me; it’s a consistent input and output) and how to customize it you can check out the post I wrote about it: How to build an efficient WaniKani schedule (level up as comfortable as possible): the guide
I’ve refined the method a bit since I posted it, but it’s basically the same. Also, I mention a backlog of half a level in that post - that isn’t necessary. You can keep it tighter than that (I do, too).
Level-up effiency especially interests me, so if you have any questions or think of other ways, please tell me!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I will definitely try that!

Level 7, やった!

Stats:
Fastest level: 1 @ 8d9h
Slowest level: 4 @ 15d5h
Actual Slowest Level: 2 @ 360d5h ( I don’t count this in my stats )
Last Level: 6 @ 8d15h
Avg Time To level: 10d07h
Longest streak: 26
Current streak: 26

Honestly this thread is one thing that is helping me keep on top of this… though I am starting to feel the vocab pile up…
It doesn’t help that I have also started RRTK… :exploding_head:
Oh well. I think doing both is helping though, as they use a different order, so not much overlap ATM.

3 Likes

Yay for level up!

I did RTK last summer. Now after one year I still remember some of it, but not all. It does help with WK meanings though.

What do you think of doing WK and RTK at the same time?

I like the Anki deck by MIA for it, but I am not really good at studying books ( Brain tries to go into “movie” mode which is great for novels, but bad for studying ).
I find that using the Anki deck, along with some of the suggestions I have read with how to self-score, has made me retain things. but I have only done ~75 items so far, so I still have a way to go with RRTK. I also like the RTK “keywords” better than the WaniKani ones… ( mainly because each kanji has a unique “keyword”, even if it doesn’t really “mean” that )

I have also been watching ゲームセンター「CX] to fulfill my immersion portion of MIA.

Mass Immersion Approach (MIA)

All in all, I am slowly able to read more “things” in japanese, even if I don’t know the meanings… Like names in credits. Even if all I remember is “Wow! Point-One Tanaka - san worked on this one too!”
This is the second thing that keeps pushing me forward on this difficult journey :smiley:

-edit-
Didn’t really answer the question xD.
Doing them both is actually helpful for quick pickup. It is like I am pre-priming my brain to actually remember the kanji.
The only problem is some of the mixed meanings for radicals/kanji.
like:
几 is “wind” in RRTK and “Table” in WK
Table is correct in the case of the actual Kanji, but as a radical, it builds better mental relationships with other kanji as wind (so-far)

1 Like

So, steam just re-released my absolute favorite video game in English and Japanese (Persona 4 Golden). This might hurt my chances at making level 21 with you all…

6 Likes

Level 12! Now I know what I’ll do this weekend…

8 Likes

Are you challenging yourself to play it in Japanese?

1 Like

If anything, shouldn’t it be encouraging you to push on with your studies more?

1 Like

Right now I have Japanese audio with English subtitles to practice my listening skills. At some point I plan to switch to playing fully in Japanese.

@tkyk I think you underestimate how many hours I can spend playing this game.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! Even if you’re not on here, getting that much exposure to hearing the language will definitely be useful.

I’ve been watching this Japanese Let’s Play series on Stardew Valley and it’s be so so helpful. Because I’m really familiar with the game and lot of what’s said is just commentary on what I can see on the screen, this adds so much context that I can pretty much figure out what he’s saying even if I don’t recognise every word.

2 Likes

Oh good luck, I’m almost done with level 12, it’s a tough one for sure. Take it slow in this level, specially. Some of the kanji are a little confusing, and I had started to forget some of my old kanji around this level, which came back in my reviews.

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I get old kanji now and look at them and don’t remember seeing them before. This is a good time to slow down for sure!

I’m using Tobira as my textbook. For as long as I have had it, I have seen these kanji as just decoration and not something that I can read.

Then WaniKani gives me this in level 11:

And now I can actually read what the cover of Tobira says. It’s the best feeling!

6 Likes

Wow 扉 (とびら) itself is level 47 ._.

2 Likes