Level 21 before 2021!

I hadn’t used scripts until reading your post! Thanks for the advice! I’m going to try this!

2 Likes

Yes, you can do it!

2 Likes

thanks @h3x are you german?

Right, there are subtitles, I can just turn off the volume… sometimes solutions are right in front of you and you still can´t see them hahah

1 Like

Glad to help!

No, I’m Puerto Rican.

1 Like

Great! Good luck!

2 Likes

Weekly Update CW19 :mailbox_with_mail:

Hello again everybody!
One week has passed, here are some updates for calendarweek 19!
(Yes, I have a lot of free time on my hands haha :sweat_smile: )

Levelups :confetti_ball:

Time, Tedloukas, Victor866, BreatheTheFREQ, tankwidow, WolfEriksson, Dandi, heidiwankanobe, postliminal, alexsandred, Irwigo, monkeyshine89, GeorgieGirl13, herewego, Gimmel, h3x

Congrats to you all for leveling up this week! :hot_face:
Let’s all continue to give our best to reach our goals!
ウィ・キャン・ドゥ・イット! :sparkles:

Leaderboard :rocket:

If you are missing in the Leaderboard or want to join, just write it here! :slight_smile:

Setting up the Leaderboard

You can get the Userscript here:
[Userscript] Wanikani Leaderboard

You can get the current CSV file here:
[CSV] 2021Leaderboard File CW19

(To upload the CSV file just click the arrow pointing upwards on the Leaderboard.)

Edit: There is currently a problem with uploading the leaderboard, so the only way is to do it manually for now :confused:

Statistics :file_folder:

• 41 study buddies :people_holding_hands:
  • 34 weeks left until 2020-12-31T23:00:00Z

Projections :chart_with_upwards_trend:

Your pace ⇉ by 2021 Your lvl ⇉ avg pace
20 days / lvl +11 levels I level 1 11 days / lvl
14 days / lvl +17 levels I level 5 14 days / lvl
10 days / lvl +23 levels I level 10 21 days / lvl
7 days / lvl +34 levels I level 15 39 days / lvl
13 Likes

Isn’t she great? I’m only a week in but I’ve been suggesting it to everyone. I love the explanation of ga and wa. It’s the only thing that’s clicked with me so far.

5 Likes

Cool! I just noticed this thread. I was level 5 at New Years, hit it hard recently (for me, anyway). Going to Japan in October/Novemeber and was hoping for 20 by then, so 21 by the end of the year is a great goal!

you guys are making great progress!

3 Likes

I’m a front-end web developer, which means I make the parts of the websites users actually see, as opposed to the data. I actually just changed jobs to focus on this aspect of website creation. Ideally I’d love to find this same sort of work in Japan, but realistically I might have to compromise a bit and focus on whichever aspect of web development is needed at the company I’m applying for.

I considered becoming an English teacher for a few years while working to improve my Japanese, which would get me to Japan much faster. However, I know it can be hard to break back into the tech industry after taking a few years off, because everything advances so rapidly that there’s a concern that your skills aren’t ‘current’ anyone. I know teaching is a very demanding job, so it probably wouldn’t leave me with a lot of time or energy for self-study.

What I’m currently considering instead is seeing if my current job will let me work remotely from Japan for a few months. I just started here so I want to wait at least a year to learn the ropes and build up some credibility, but it sounds like it might be possible. I work for a startup, which means there is a lot of flexibility around remote work. We’re all remote right now anyway because of the pandemic, and I think everyone is a little surprised about how well it has all gone. Another option for me as a programmer is to get a full-time remote job, but a lot of the ones in America want you to work American hours, which would be the middle of the night in Japan. I could probably make it work, but it’s not ideal.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for asking about my goal <3 It makes me feel so motivated to just type that all out. I think it’s the first time I’ve ever really tried to put it into words.

9 Likes

I think she has subtitles now if you want to mute the voice.

4 Likes

She does? That’s great! I loved her content, and could get past the voice, but it really tired me out mentally to focus compared to other videos. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

That’s how I do it. Sound off, subtitles on, make notes.

4 Likes

This is great! Thanks for putting all this together!

2 Likes

Happy you like it, I had a lot of fun doing it hehe :slight_smile: :sparkles:

4 Likes

The ultimate frustration, making just enough mistakes to miss my level up today :joy_cat:

Oh well, a reason to look forward to tomorrow i guess :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You’ll get there soon enough! But it is frustrating when you’re just one kanji short…

2 Likes

Thank you!
I need to improve my retention ratio but I feel like I’m doing better everyday!

We’re in this together so keep climbing up! It’s amazing when you almost understand a sentence outside of wanikani.

6 Likes

It’s great, it’s a lot more fun to read this than a dashboard on my homepage.

2 Likes

Wait for me! :nerd_face:
My level-up will be in two days hopefully haha!

2 Likes

Wow y’all, just reading this thread makes me feel motivated

2 Likes