Level 21 before 2021!

3 Likes

Level 11! moved to next group
officially joined the pain train :sob:

8 Likes

Yay! Onwards and upwards!

3 Likes

I see that most of the people is a lot faster than me. I’ve been 37 days in level 5.

Do you always do all your lessons? I usually try to do enough to not get over of 100 reviews for the next day, because it’s a lot and I know I wouldn’t have enough time to do it.

How many reviews are you doing in average per day to have an average level up of less than 15 days?

1 Like

You are on a “Highway to Hell” (Too many “Guns N Roses” references from me :joy:). Glad to have your company.

It is okay to move at your own pace. Once you move up a few levels it is hard to have days with less than 100 reviews. One advantage with your pace is you would most likely have rock solid foundation when you move up. It is okay to move at a slower pace until IRL stuff permits you to spend more time on WaniKani.

I generally do 20-25 lessons and all reviews on a majority of days (which tends to vary between 150-200). There are people who consistently move at 7 days or 10 days, and admittedly sometimes it makes me want to go fast. And then I realize I have to move at my own pace or I would end up screwing up my learning. I rushed through one of my levels at 7 days and I still commit mistakes from those entries while my other entries (12 days or more - my pace) tend to have far fewer mistakes. I spent 18-20 days each on level 11 and 12 due to commitments in IRL. Ideally I would have preferred to complete them in 10-12 days, but life happens. So as long as you slowly move forward it is okay.

It is normal to freak out when everyone around you is running faster. It is normal to freak out your friends may move so far ahead you can’t see them. The truth is everyone has their own circumstances in life, so move at your own pace. Your friends will help you out if you ask them for help no matter how far ahead they are. You will always find new friends joining the journey, think of it this way you get to learn and meet more interesting people than others.

In the end all your worries, self-doubts, frustration etc. only makes you human, like the rest of us. You are in good company my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

For the last 1.5 months I tried to maintain on 20 lessons per day, with this I can get 8-10 day per level. Number of reviews nowadays is on 100-170 :no_mouth: and I’m sure it will increased when these item start enlightening & burning :sob:

20 lessons per day sounds scary for me at the beginning :sob: for the first 3 months I did lessons irregularly, sometimes none, sometimes 10, and so on. But I got pretty good insight in how to reach a reasonable speed efficiently at this masterpiece: My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

6 Likes

If you mean Unlocking Japanese, I have it and I think it’s wonderful, but it’s also short. I would love if she would write a full textbook or even a series of textbooks that cover everything in her structure videos.

5 Likes

Ah I get you.

1 Like

happy forum cake day AYAYA

3 Likes

Yeah, lucky level 13 this joke was made before! Leveled up yesterday evening, but haven’t had time for a post yet. I know everyone is dying to hear my advice about level 12 and what can I say?

Anyway, I hope @Aikibujin will make it soon, too, and yeah, that’s about it. Next level up will be nice as I’ll be finally out of the ~130 vocab-levels.

6 Likes

I was thinking about bying that book. Does it offer a good start into grammar and nothing more? Or what can I expect?

1 Like

Wait, if I can trust a certain thread there are a couple of ~130 vocab-levels not that far off. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Well, level 17 and 18, but 18 has only 30 Kanji and other than those two?

2 Likes

I wish I could say it did but it’s more of a companion to the videos or a traditional grammar book. It doesn’t start from first principles. If you’re interested in Dolly’s system I would recommend the videos. If you want to learn from a book I hear good things about Japanese the Manga Way.

2 Likes

Yes level 18 is a reaaaal laid back level… I just did a 100 reviews and then this happened :scream:
But this is my own fault, I decided since I am doing well I would be taking it a bit slower in the weekend. I am not doing any more lessons untill this beast ist tackeled and the reviews are down again.

2 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately when I posted that Ryu post, that was me completely failing my level up review. I still have 2 days now before I can level up. :pensive:

3 Likes

Btw, is that the same Ryuu as the one who was used to remember the stream Kanji?

2 Likes

LOL, indeed!

And funnily enough, I had NO problem remembering that Kanji. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW:

The one I had the most problems with this time was: 都

I kept looking at it, and usually I come up with a little story about the radicals in the Kanji, sometimes Koichi’s, but often time my own. And Koichi’s definitely didn’t do it for me this time.

So I look at it and keep on thinking Someone building. And usually I would think ok someone has built something and I would relate it to the word, but Metropolis just wouldn’t come to my mind as something someone built. I guess because a metropolis is such a big thing, it’s like my mind gives more credit to the little guys. It’s like dude that wasn’t one person, it takes a lot of people to build a metropolis, so it just wouldn’t stick. Especially when trying to relate it to ト.

So I used my geek brain and changed it to Someone’s Building.
And I thought who has the biggest building in Metropolis? Lex Luthor.
Since Superman can’t just outright kill Lex, best way to deal with him is just eye lazer him in the ト!

I then thought of this little skit, like you would see a montage of on Youtube, where every time Lex pisses off Superman and does that little smirky thing, like ‘you can’t hit me’ he just subtly looks at his toe and blasts it, and Lex is swearing and jumping around. LOL

It worked for me. :smiley:

4 Likes

Walks in like Wendy Williams during that video where the whole audience in silent…

Stands here waiting…

Stands here waiting for you to notice the 4 next to their picture…

Oh this old thing?! Yeah I leveled up like 10 minutes ago… It’s pretty right? Yeah I guess it’s cool…

6 Likes

2 days till level up! :see_no_evil:

5 Likes