Level 21 before 2021!

Welcome! I’m so glad you’re here!

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I agree. I take about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks per level now and am looking forward to taking my reviews. I want it to stay that way :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It really does, great job of leveling up!

4 Likes

Hey hey hey y’all, I am so IN on this. Level 21 should be nervous

5 Likes

as it should

4 Likes

Hey everybody!

I took the liberty to create an updated version of the current leaderboard. :confetti_ball:
Please tell me if anybody is missing, or if you want to join. :dizzy:

I’ll try to capture all level-ups until next-week, this time I messed up a bit.

PS: If you want to spare yourself adding everybody manually you can get the CSV file here. Just klick the arrow pointing upwards on the leaderboard to upload it.

For everybody new to this: here is the link to the Leaderboard Userscript:
[Userscript] Wanikani Leaderboard

Anyways, let’s keep leveling up, we can do this!! :yellow_heart:

8 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

My only recommendation is to NOT do tax - it’s definitely the hardest!
Best of luck, you’re nearly there :blush:

1 Like

you can do it @Teckna ! :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. I was terrible at learning English at school and even worse with French. I always thought I am no good at learning a language. Learning Japanese though is such a different experience. I think it is because I actually choose the language instead of being forced to. I organize my tempo and study. I have a lot of fun, even at the lessons I am taking. Which again I decided to take. let´s keep going :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey! Just reached level 8! Congrats on the level up! I hope to see you pass me eventually. I finished this level in around 13 days. Just cleared up about 3 days worth of reviews. I think I’ll have to do around 20 reviews a day too because too much and i end up forgetting everything. 10-13 days per level-up seems to be a good time for me so I’ll try and continue at this pace.

2 Likes

Congrats! I I’m glad that you have found a system that works for you. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and there’s no point in adding too much too fast and burning out. We’ll all get there eventually!

3 Likes

That was actually my problem with finishing around 1 level every 7 or 8 days. I would end up disliking my learning. I haven’t burnt out yet but I could feel it coming. It is important for me to keep it enjoyable but also learn as much as I can. Finishing in around 12-14 days gives me alot of time to maybe miss a day or two and still continue without being too hard on myself. I find that when I enjoy learning each new Kanji and Vocabulary, I retain them significantly longer as well.

6 Likes

I learn every day but it seems I got a lot of leeches. I fail to remember the Kanji itself whereas in vocab it is no problem. Also the kanji or radicals that become leaches for me are the ones where I don’t really get the mnemonic 'cause I don’t get it. Like wolverine. Now I can remember it but it popped up so many times and I still don’t know what this is (and if I look it up I will forget it :D).

4 Likes

I just reset to level 20. This is the challenge for me!

5 Likes

I have the same issue with some mnemonics. English is not my first language, so somethings I don´t get the mnemonics because of a word I don´t know.
Somehow I manage though. You will too!

4 Likes

I found out that I will remember a lot of Kanji meanings by relating it to the vocabulary I learned or know. Just the Kanji alone, and especially the radicals I also sometimes find difficult to remember over longer stretches of time. That is why I often try to remember the reading through the vocabulary and then confirm the meaning / reading with the mnemonic, which is most of times more easy to remember if you already have a guess. :slight_smile:

兄 → ?
兄弟 →(きょうだい)
兄 → きょう
きょう → (Something with “bring your big brother to Kyoto” or so)

This way I will remember the mnemonic more easily the next review.

8 Likes

Hahaha thank you! :grin: I have heard the horror stories :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’d also like to join up to get some extra motivation via healthy peer pressure ;). Started my journey 6 days ago and so far I’ve loved it even though it has been a bit slow. :blush:

I’m aiming to do as much as I possibly can alongside grammar etc., but my summer internship is going to eat up my time in the the coming months. However, I believe 21 will be doable!

Any other non-native English speakers here?

How do scripts like the leaderboard work in Safari?

4 Likes

pretty sure 90% of the users on here are from Sweden.

7 Likes

It will pick up speed soon enough. :slight_smile:

I am using Tapermonkey for Safari, which I believe you can download in the AppStore for like a Euro or something.

3 Likes