Let's translate a random chunk of text daily, or create one!

Wow, nice translation!

Fort the part you were not sure of:

赤ちゃんが元気だといいな
= I hope the baby is well.

〜だといいな’s literal translation is “It’d be good if 〜.”
This is how people explain their hope/wish in Japanese. Your guess is close enough, though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words, tel003a and tofugukanae!

It’s been a few days, so here’s another NHK Easy News:
奄美大島の海岸に油のような物 沈んだタンカーの油か
(Oily Substance on Amami Oshima Coast - from Sunken Tanker?)

先月、奄美大島から西に約315kmの日本の海で、イランの会社のタンカーが沈む事故がありました。このタンカーは原油を運んでいて、中国の上海の沖で荷物を運ぶ大きな船とぶつかったあと、流されていました。

海上保安庁は、このタンカーから流れた油の可能性もあると考えて、海岸に流れてきた物について調べています。

My go at translation

Last month, an Iranian tanker sank in Japanese waters about 315 km (196 mi) to the west of Amami Oshima. The tanker collided with a large cargo ship in the open ocean off of Shanghai, China and spilled the crude oil which it was carrying.

The Japanese Coast Guard is investigating the substance found on the beach, and they think there’s a possibility that it is oil from the tanker.

Not sure on bolded parts, I feel like I should learn Japanese geographical names at some point. I’ll go look for a map of the accident now that I’ve done my best from the words that are there.

Your translation looks pretty good to me! よく出来ました!

1 Like

This one might actually be interesting to people around here!

成田空港 客の荷物の中を立体的に見る機械の実験
(Narita Airport - Testing 3-D Baggage Search Machine)

(text from the middle of the article)
会社によると、この機械は荷物の中に入っている物を立体的に見ことができるため、ナイフなどの危険な物を見つけやすくなります。爆弾などがあると、自動で知らせます。

もう一度調べる必要がある荷物を自動で別な場所に運ぶ機械も一緒に使かって、荷物を調べる時間をどのくらい短くできるかも調べます。

My go at translation

According to the company, this machine produces a three-dimensional view of the items inside the luggage, so that it is easy to find knives or other dangerous things. It can automatically detect explosive devices.

This machine is used together with another machine that automatically transports baggage that requires a second search to a separate location. The company is also studying how much time can be saved in the process.

1 Like

Leading NHK Easy News article today:

300以上の新聞がトランプ大統領に反対する社説を書く
(Over 300 Newspapers Write Editorials Against President Trump)

アメリカの300以上の新聞が16日、トランプ大統領に反対する意見を社説書きました。社説には、新聞の会社の意見が書いてあります。

ボストングローブという新聞は「アメリカは200年かけて国民が中心の社会を作ってきました。新聞やテレビを敵だと言うことは、アメリカの社会を壊すことです」と書きました。

My go at translation

On the sixteenth, over three hundred American newspapers wrote editorials expressing opinions against President Trump. The editorials were written to express the opinions of the newspaper companies.

The Boston Globe wrote, “Over the past 200 years, the [American] people have created a balanced society. To say that newspapers and television are the enemy is to tear apart American society.”

This one was tricky, especially the quote from the Globe. Here’s what I could find from the Boston Globe website that seems to correspond with the quote in this article:

To label the press “the enemy of the people” is as un-American as it is dangerous to the civic compact we have shared for more than two centuries.

2 Likes

I feel that they are trying to define 社説 here, since NHK easy reader might not be familiar with the word. “In an editorial, the opinions of a newspaper company is expressed”

I think you misparsed that part. I read it as (国民が中心) (people are the most important) の社会を作ってきました
(Checked with my local native speaker that it’s the correct interpretation)

1 Like

Ah, thank you, that clears things up a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

I had considered that initially, but it didn’t seem like something that would need to be defined. But maybe, since the Easy News is for young Japanese too, not just adult foreigners.

Ok, this definitely makes more sense. Thanks for reminding me that の can connect a phrase to a word; I don’t have much experience with that sort of construction.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.