Let's persuade Wanikani to add more levels

WaniKani isn’t a JLPT Study tool, there are plenty of other services/lists available on the internet if you are interested in the JLPT.
Also, as others have said, by level 60, you should just learn the kanji/vocab that you are interested in rather than relying on a learning material that you have no control over

4 Likes

What? That’s not an N1 word, and neither are the kanji…?

I imagine things like 繭, 眉, 逓減, 破綻, etc, could be added.

Oh and a ton of verbs could be added. So many verbs for existing kanji.

6 Likes

Took that from this comment. https://community.wanikani.com/t/fake-levels-61-70-無限-infinity/15483/12?u=spookyspooks

2 Likes

I’m assuming that N1 list is the same one you see on like, Jisho and stuff. It’s pretty whack. I would be shocked if they ever asked jinmeiyou questions on the 6 or 7 kanji questions that appear on the test.

1 Like

I don’t think this would help much. People don’t leave because wk sucks. They leave for many other reasons than the ones you listed. Tbh the user experience and support is great.

5 Likes

You know what I think would be cool instead of extra levels? An offline wanikani app, but with online sync like Anki. I keep thinking that my reviews are going to pile up eventually because the power/internet is down.

I’m also wary of online only things, as they can disappear and leave no trace. See the Wii and Dsi online shops :frowning:

11 Likes

You can’t stop people from leaving. You can improve the experience enough that twice as many convert, and stay twice as long. The experience right now is good, but can improve, and improvements absolutely have an impact on conversion and retention. That conversion and retention funds growth.

6 Likes

Given the number of people that reach 60 (most life time subscribers) I do not think that this would not be priority for Wanikani. But what about if Wanikani were to allow users to add some Kanji and Vocabulary to their accounts? Specially for people that use technical vocabulary this might work well.

3 Likes

Do you mean something like this https://www.bunpro.jp/ ?

2 Likes

I like ‘free’ (it’s one of my favorite F words). If they make another elaborate jiddle to open new levels, then it might be fun. Otherwise, as a lifer already, I don’t see myself buying it and would opt for other SRS decks if I want to chase those kanjis. Would they even need to make new radicals for new levels given the +50s barely have any?

1 Like

Same here. Theres an ios app in the works and im hoping android is the next step!

2 Likes

Doesn’t Tsurukame do offline reviews?

6 Likes

Rather than a full set of new levels, I think it would be nice to have maybe one or two “bonus” levels which focused specifically on jinmeiyo kanji and various name readings. Or maybe a level of yojijukugo phrases or something. Small extra things like that that aren’t strictly necessary but kinda interesting. With all the SRS apps out there though, it doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to put together yourself if you really wanted to.

5 Likes

I didn’t do it long enough to really be qualified but I would say that it’s a good supplement for other grammar resources. In other words, learning the grammar point then going to BunPro to keep it refreshed and memorized. Each grammar point has a list of resources that explain that point so it could be helpful if you don’t quite understand the main resource.

The youtube channel KawaJapa Curedolly combined with BunPro got me to the point of reading native material much faster than I thought possible. :ok_hand:

As @Weirdmind said; either you need to really commit to reading the outside learning resources BP links to, or it is a supplementary practice / retention tool for whatever other grammar source you use.

In what way do you mean lessons? There is an overview of a grammar point, and the outside resources they provide about it. Then there are several example sentences associated with that grammar point, and those sentences are what you review in the SRS. You read a Japanese sentence, and you fill in the blank of what grammar should be used.

4 Likes

It’s an MMO guys every few years you gotta increase the max character level by 10

34 Likes

A car filled with chocolate people. Hrm.

4 Likes

I think that after WK finish the main kanji that everyone must know, they should just let us know that kanji after that are not required. So whoever wants to continue can continue with their subscription, and whoever feels finished can just stop there.

I’d be good with getting another ~300 kanji or N1 level.

I think after 2,000 kanji, most additional kanji are just acquired by reading. But if it’s available, I’d use it,

1 Like

Koichi posted that 22 people reach level 60 per month. I guess hundreds are starting, so the percentage of people who will ever see new levels is very limited.

From my perspective I didn’t use the mnemonics at all after level 30–40, I didn’t really read the context sentences, so WK was mainly for the SRS. I already didn’t like the levels 50+, the kanji were ok (if you like plants and Noh chanting :smile:), but the vocab felt like I can spend my learning time better.

I would have done additional levels anyway, but only for the sake of completeness.

9 Likes