Let's persuade Wanikani to add more levels

I’ve seen a list of an additional 1000 kanji on Kitsun. I wouldn’t mind having it incorporated in more levels on WK, simply because I like the format. I would definitely pay for more.

7 Likes
  • New radicals would have to be made. You would have to learn them and guru them in order to unlock the kanji. 3d10h fastest speed.
  • Learning and guruing the kanji - 3d10h more. Total 7d.
  • Vocab lessons.

You could say that:

• New kanji wouldn’t necessarily have/need new radicals.
  • The endpoint is to start learning kanji, not vocab. However, at the end of the day, you’re doing it to learn vocab.

Not to mention that from a biz perspective, I don’t think it makes sense. Developing something that only 0,01% (?) of the userbase would use?

A graphic from my WK Guide:

Notice how very few users reach level 60 (this is definitely not 100% correct but it gives an idea):

19 Likes

I’ve got a Lifetime membership, but I’d be happy enough to pay some more for extra levels. It would be alluring to know that there is life beyond level 60 … give me a Super Durdle 10x Burn level package!

6 Likes

How do the stats effect people who reach level 60 and reset?
I’m sure I’ve read peoples comments on how it was their second/third round through. I’ve reset from level 30 a few times lol

1 Like

I definitely think the most value would be added by dedicating resources to moving that curve rightward. Identifying what causes people to drop off (WK’s Great Filter?) so early, and improving experience should be high priority from a business perspective. Attract new people and get them to stay longer. That provides funding to push into niche content when (if) it makes sense.

15 Likes

It would be nice

1 Like
4 Likes

Completely agree. I feel like WK is such a great tool, but that there’s still a lot to improve. I would much prefer the team to focus on convertion of users, tbh. Others’ progress is my progress. Imagine how much better for everyone would be having a bigger community in here, for example. But those are things for Tofugu to think so, whatever they decide is fine for me :slight_smile:

12 Likes

The general idea of this curve applies to pretty much anything in the world though. So we can assume that from a general business perspective pushing that far over the top is never cost-revenue efficient.

5 Likes

Well, that’s true though? It’s like a business 101 thing :stuck_out_tongue:
The more indepth you get, the less content there is. And the stuff that remains gets crazy expensive.
If I wanna by a new book in my field of study it’s about 300-500 bucks :'D

4 Likes

Just pushing that curve to midway between 10 and 20 could have a huge impact on the business. Potentially life changing. Yes, pushing right beyond a certain point will not be efficient, but if that curve is even close to accurate there is so much money still on the table.

Edit: Reading your comment again, I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

3 Likes

How would that be possible tho? It’s not like WK differs a lot from level to level. The first 10 levels are a fresh new thing, people are motivated and then a lot of them lose interest. As soon as something isn’t fresh and new anymore it gets stale to some people and they stop. Japanese is no exception. I myself would claim right now, that i will defenetly psuh to 60 and keep going, but who knows what i say after level 12 or so?

6 Likes

Not necessarily, there are common kanji that are not in wk. Merging the joyo kanji+ the n1 that are not taught by wanikani we get aprox. 380 kanji, enough material for ten levels.

11 Likes

Well, I did say there are still common kanji missing, didnt I? :stuck_out_tongue:
Right now, I don’t think I’d want to learn all the N1 kanji, but even if I did, there would still be kanji missing that I am interested in.
So at some point, I’ll have to start learning those kanji on my own.

2 Likes

There aren’t N1 kanji that aren’t in the jouyou list. At least not for what you need to know for kanji questions. It’s possible that some rare things with explanations or furigana can show up in the reading section, but WK already covers N1 kanji pretty extensively.

In other words, you don’t need to study jinmeiyou (or beyond) for N1.

9 Likes

Is the question how it would be possible to convince them to stay longer?

1. Site UX improvements.
  2. Content improvements based on customer feedback.
  3. Mobile app…
  4. Better access to end user support.

There are more, but these have asymmetric impact.

11 Likes

A bird that threatens you into doing your reviews.

56 Likes

In my opinion, the focus should be on the rest of the N1 kanji, and avoid adding vocab then necessary

Thing is, the vocab reinforces the kanji. You can add more vocab without adding (much) more kanji, but kanji on its own would not be as beneficial I think. If they’re adding N1 kanji, they might as well add the corresponding N1 vocab that goes with it, no?

11 Likes

Well the problem is that most of the vocab for the N1 kanji we are missing is like “癸酉” “tenth of the sexagenary cycle​” for 酉