Let's persuade Wanikani to add more levels

I can just say that around level 10 it stopped being a fun minigame to play on my phone and became a serious commitment.

Honestly, I’m often not having fun, but I need it. It’s the best way to learn Kanji in a reasonable amount of time. And I really need more.

2 Likes

I’d like for WK to cover 100% of the jōyō kanji, but that’s it. They can be added in the current fast level for all I care.

7 Likes

Honestly, I just think that WK should add theme packs or something, since a lot of the remaining Kanji tend to be specialized in certain areas (though not necessarily exclusively). For example, there can be a “math pack” which includes a lot of Kanji used in mostly technical math things, a “legal pack” for legal words, a “sci-fi pack” for stuff that comes up mostly just in sci-fi, and so on.

12 Likes

Mmmm a JRPG pack.

おいしい

7 Likes

Fixed that for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Let’s do both. If you want to get to the sci-fi WK theme park, you gotta finish the scifi pack. And if you wanna get you paper into the SIGWK conference, you gotta finish the CS research pack.

2 Likes

I can vouch for that. Earlier on I was totally open to the idea, but now I’m so tired, haha. I’m ready to leave the nest.

1 Like

I’m certainly less gung-ho about things than I was early on. The later levels of WK are pretty tough, sometimes bordering on burnout (and I haven’t even gotten to the fast levels yet!)

That being said, I do wish they’d at least add all the Joyo kanji, since it seems like an odd omission and just bugs me from a completionist point of view. Plus it’d be a great point they could include in marketing.

1 Like

I can’t think of many generally useful kanji and vocab that could be added to fill more levels. Most words I come across that aren’t on WaniKani are so specific that I wouldn’t even want them to be here, as they would be irrelevant to most people.
I’m a bit surprised 貰 isn’t here though. I see it almost every day…
maybe it’s just that the people I interact with have a preference to use 貰う in kanji form.

I’d be on board with the dlc packs idea though. I would totally grab a History one
(and maybe take all the existing baseball terms and make it into its own optional pack :roll_eyes:)

7 Likes

There is are some food related missing kanji I think would be practical. Though they use kana often, I’ve definitely encountered the kanji in grocery stores or dinner table.

The aforementioned noodles - (めん) :ramen:

is listed as ‘barbarian’ (not very useful) and has no onyomi vocab reading practice but I’ve seen 胡椒 (こしょう)

胡椒

Which means 椒 (pepper) would have to get included and 山椒 (さんしょう)which also comes up as well

山椒

Maybe even more common that pepper is 柚子(ゆず)

柚子

(しそ)- couldn’t find any grocery examples for shiso kanji but I realized I’m basically writing my favorite Japanese flavors here :blush: :yum:…maybe someone knows an example but likely not so useful.

海苔(のり)

There seafood related kanji like 鯛 (snapper), 鯖 (saba)…there is a long list but I’m not sure the commonality of many based on the a menu or grocery store, will have to find a list and ask a native unless someone can chime in.

1 Like

I agree with everything else on the list, to varying extents, but I think I’ve gotta put my foot down here. You could easily fill a whole level (or two?) with fish kanji, and it would drive everyone absolutely bonkers. 鯖鮪鯛鮭鰆鯵鰯鰤鰹鰻 - that’s ten right there, and I’m still only listing common sushi toppings. Now try telling them apart without having them right next to each other. I mean, granted, there’s some obvious mnemonics to use here - for example, 鰯 is “weak fish”, but then you need to connect that mnemonic to the real fish somehow.

No, I feel if you’re interested enough in what’s a fairly niche topic (they’re going to be written in kana in all but the most traditional restaurants), an Anki deck will do the trick well enough.

4 Likes

I don’t expect these will actually get added but I’ve encountered several of these kanji fairly consistently, more so than many here. But whether you live abroad or just go to Asian grocery stores, I would hardly consider them niche…gotta eat after all. Some fish, I agree but kinda crazy we don’t learn real basics like tuna or mackerel.

2 Likes

There’s a list of kanji included on JPLT N1 that aren’t in WaniKani that I’d probably appreciate on here, and I’m pretty sure WK doesn’t include all the Joyo kanji, I I could see that. but at the same time I’m getting pretty excited at the idea of being done with WK this March, and another 10 levels might be a bit…I dunno… exhausting? Maybe if they were easier levels, designed to lessen your review load down to maybe 100 a day as opposed to the 200-300 most high level users have (I think? That’s what I’m getting, anyway). Or if they just stopped teaching any radicals so you could do all the kanji at the start of the level and not have to wait to Guru radicals to start the second half.

But at the same time, by the time most people hit level 60, they’re usually reading books, using dictionaries, studying Kanji on their own time, visiting or even living in Japan. I feel like at that level of your learning, WaniKani might be a little hand hold-y. Besides. I’m only level 40 and I already understand a strong majority of the kanji I see. I don’t know how necessary it even is for the people who’re actually done. Once you’ve already memorized 2100 or so Joyo kanji, I think the rest you’re going to need to know tend to be more specialized to the field in which you’re using Japanese. Not everyone’s going to need to know the same ones.

Not to say if there were another ten levels that I wouldn’t do them. I’ve been a slave to the Crabigator for a year now. I kinda just do whatever he says.

I kinda don’t want wanikani to add more levels :confused:

5 Likes

I would like the wanikani to include all the N1 vocab and kanji. I don’t think it is too much to ask

1 Like

How much time do you think it would take?

1 Like

are you asking how much time it took to add levels or learn them? if it’s add, we’ll just pay more money? if it’s learn, nobody is forcing anyone to learn, they can stop at places they feel comfortable with but there are people who simply want to learn more

Except relatively few users make it to level 60, so it’s questionable how much more money WaniKani would make.

3 Likes

That’s why I think they should add all the Joyo kanji. Being able to say “we have all the joyo kanji” would be a good marketing ploy, and help them attract more new users, even if they don’t actually make it to the end.

2 Likes

Maybe it’d make sense to drop the “level” concept after level 60, and just have a single large “level” at the end with all the remaining JLPT/Joyo kanji, and make the lessons do unlocked things before doing new radicals at that point? That way you could do 20 radicals, work through the SRS, and unlock the pink kanji lessons before doing any additional sets of radicals, essentially making your own quasi-levels by controlling your pace on the radicals.

2 Likes