:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Officially joined team Durtle. Letā€™s do this! ā€¦eventually.
:durtle_stabby:

7 Likes

Welcome! :turtle: :balloon:

1 Like

you can see this book is bad when they point to finger saying ā€œteā€

lmao

3 Likes

That is so true!! :durtle_durverted_lvl2:

1 Like

Iā€™m delighted to see there are more folk taking the scenic route. Iā€™m still experimenting with my routine but for me the issue is that I have limited time during the working week, (which for me is mon-thu), so I want to have a manageable number of reviews on those days, and do my lessons as close as possible to first thing on fri/sat/sun, where I can take more advantage of the SRS.

A lot of the discussion Iā€™ve read so far assumes fairly even amounts of effort through the week, does anyone else have more of a weekend focus?

What else do the slower folk do to keep their Japanese up elsewhere, at the moment I am doing duolingo, because I can do that in short snatches, and I intermittently listen to the tofugo podcasts - because I find the discussion of the language interesting, and can listen to it on my daily walk. Iā€™m not advanced enough for podcasts in Japanese (including ones Iā€™ve seen recommended here), they just sound like noise to me because I canā€™t decipher enough.

Worth saying I donā€™t have a real goal in terms of proficiency, I am studying more for the intellectual challenge.

3 Likes

Welcome, come on and slam and welcome to the durtle jam! :durtle_noice:

I have a more time specific focus like mornings and late evenings to do my lessons and reviews than weekday/weekend focus. Iā€™m breaking my lessons into 10-30 chunks a day and doing all my reviews whenever itā€™s available.

On down time, Iā€™ve been using Bunpro to brush up on grammar and KameSame to remember vocabulary. For immersion, Iā€™ve been listen to Japanese songs that caught my interest.

All the better! I think any goal or reason is a good goal or reason. I have goals like visiting Japan, but Iā€™m honestly learning Japanese just because I can at this point and Iā€™m having a fun time

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching Japanese Ammo with Misaā€™s Grammar Lessons for Absolute Beginners. Iā€™ve just been watching one video a day. I havenā€™t been taking notes on them because Iā€™m mostly using them to start to gain familiarity with grammar and just reading Japanese sentences in general, and am planning on later reinforcing the knowledge with other sources (Iā€™m also planning on coming back and rewatching them months from now). If you take notes, it takes a lot longer to go through each one, but if you donā€™t, itā€™s only like a 20 minute time commitment to watch an episode. Itā€™s great material if youā€™re a complete beginner and donā€™t know where to start!

I also use KaniWani alongside WK to practice recall, but currently KW and WK are the only SRS systems I use.

I also spend a lot of time each day just watching/seeing Japanese, lol, because I watch a lot of Japanese pro wrestling and follow a bunch of wrestlers on twitter, so I get a lot of exposure to listening to the language and reading it, though Iā€™m not proficient enough to understand much. But it helps reinforce a lot of what Iā€™m learning here and elsewhere.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve actually picked up my pace recently! Iā€™m still definitely going slower than the average user, but I went up to 15 vocab lessons a day instead of my former pace of 10 (Iā€™m sticking to just 10 lessons a day for kanji, though).

The reason why I increased my pace is because I started using the self-study quiz script to drill all of my lessons immediately after doing them, and as soon as I started doing this, my retention went drastically up. I now reliably get like 90-100% of my first batch of reviews after my lessons correct! Previously, just using WKā€™s SRS system alone, I would fail a lot of items (especially the kanji) several times before they started to stick, haha. Using this script caused my daily review load to go down, since apprentice items are moving out of my review queue a lot faster, and I realized I had the time/energy to learn more items, at least for now. The self-study quiz also tests your listening comprehension, which is really useful, imo. Iā€™m currently not using it to practice anything else besides brand new lessons, but just that alone has made such a huge difference.

4 Likes

Made it to level 7! Spent fifteen and a half days on level 6, haha! But I got a lot done in that time. Iā€™m excited to make it to a new level, though it always takes me at least a full week into a level before I finish learning all of the material from the previous one!

5 Likes

Ding dinged to level 15 now and managed to clear my lessons :). Somehow I have below 100 Apprentice items and I started the level with around 27 before doing lessons. My item ratio is getting weirder and weirder as well :smiley:

Feels like the items are disappearing somewhere.

5 Likes

Excited to see you burn some items soon!

3 Likes

After 4 months on level 21, I made it to level 22! I just started a new career opportunity so I have a feeling that level 22 is going to be a long one, as well.

8 Likes

Do you like Tiger Mask? I just watched Tiger Mask W last year and it was quite a ride.

2 Likes

I do like the current New Japan Pro Wrestling wrestler who goes by the name Tiger Mask, though he isnā€™t one of my faves (I believe heā€™s Tiger Mask IV?)! I havenā€™t seen much of the other wrestlers who have used that name, though I have seen Tiger Mask W wrestle because he was actually portrayed (in the ring, at least) by one of the wrestlers who got me into wrestling (Kota Ibushi)! That said, I still have yet to actually watch the anime that the Tiger Mask W character was created for! I know a lot of the characters in it because theyā€™re NJPW wrestlers that Iā€™m familiar with, but I donā€™t know much about the specific plot of the show. Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it, though!

Thereā€™s a tiny bit about Tiger Mask W (the character in the flesh) in the essay that was responsible for getting me into wrestling, though the character didnā€™t wrestle in many actual matches. If you enjoyed that show, you might also enjoy the movie My Dad Is a Heel Wrestler, which NJPW was also involved with, and which also features NJPW wrestlers!

2 Likes

So this is what I looked like first thing today, before doing a batch of lessons, I had hoped to get my apprentice closer to 0 before doing more, but I had a couple of bad review sessions yesterday. I wanted to get them in today when I knew Iā€™d have time to do the reviews close as possible to when they came live.

I was very pleased when I got my first Enlightened, and still satisfying watching it slowly tick upwards.

4 Likes

Got my first enlightened today!

Canā€™t wait to burn them. Iā€™m nervous Iā€™ll confuse them for kanji because Iā€™ll have forgotten the mnemonic lol.

8 Likes

Very nice! Thatā€™s quite a bit of radicals in one go! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I leveled up to level 8, level 7 was my fastest (except for level 1), at only 13 days. Letā€™s see how level 8 goes, if I manage to follow my lesson schedule and unlock new items as planned it will take me around 15 days. Iā€™m feeling quite comfortable with my current pace.

7 Likes

Reviews had been pretty steady at three or four times a day, and now this lmao.

4 Likes

Level 8 :durtle_love:
I gurued several Kanji at once at the level up, so got 30+ level 7 vocab I need to deal with before I even start with the new level. But that is ok. I will do them first, then level 8 vocab, then kanji, lastly radicals and make sure to get my 0/0! :durtle_noice:

5 Likes