:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Genki has a good balance between kanji and grammar. In the first lessons it uses almost no kanji and in later lessons it only enforces a small sunset of kanji per lesson, while offering kanji for introduced vocab words as an alternative. When learning new vocab from Genki I actually do try to use their kanji, even though itā€™s often of much higher level.

3 Likes

i donā€™t know any of the textbooks, so canā€™t really comment on MNN specifically.

Tofugu does advocate learning some kanji before diving into grammar/textbooks, as you then can concentrate on the grammar instead of having to also learn kanji. i can totally see where Tofugu is coming from with that.

however, personally i find that context is the best tool to help things stick. and by doing a bit of grammar, youā€™re giving yourself context for the kanji and vocab youā€™re learning here. iā€™d find it very difficult to remember 10 levels of kanji in a void.

but then, every learner is different, and we all have to find the ways which work for us ^^

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad that Genki is balanced well! I debated for a long time whether I wanted to try Genki or MNN, but ended up going with MNN because I wanted to get more reading practice, even though itā€™s a steeper learning curve for beginners (due to no romaji, and the primary text being entirely in Japanese). Iā€™m probably still going to run into a lot of kanji that I donā€™t know and will have to try to memorize the vocab before learning the kanji in WK, but Iā€™ve found that I struggle more with that, so Iā€™m hoping to start with a decent base of knowledge to make things a little easier.

Actually, one thing I didnā€™t realize that I was getting from WK was lots of practice with reading hiragana. I used to struggle a lot more with reading it, but now itā€™s pretty easy for me. Just flipping through MNN, I realized I didnā€™t actually miss romaji at all.

Honestly, the absolute beginners playlist is a pretty good introduction to Japanese grammar, at least what Iā€™ve watched so far. Iā€™ve been able to follow everything the videos are teaching. Though, Iā€™m sure that doing actual exercises to accompany the lessons would help them stick better. But she does touch on some things that Iā€™ve learned in WK, and Iā€™m pretty sure the videos cover topics that arenā€™t really covered in MNN, like informal speech. Iā€™ve been looking up some things in A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as I go, too.

But truthfully, the best thing Iā€™ve found for helping things stick is getting the context from actual native Japanese materials. Itā€™s harder for me to remember things in the context of lessons, but I have a very easy time remembering things Iā€™ve learned in WK if I hear them while watching Japanese wrestling, haha, or if I see kanji that I know up on the screen during shows, or if I suddenly understand a pun or a joke that I didnā€™t understand before. Iā€™m also enjoying gradually learning how to read the kanji in my favorite wrestlersā€™ names. I guess maybe Iā€™m approaching MNN as eventual reading practice as well as a tool for teaching grammar and additional vocabulary.

Thank you both for the advice!

3 Likes

yeah! iā€™m really enjoying reading manga! and thereā€™s these great moments when you get a new kanji on WK, and youā€™re like, i saw that just last night while reading :smiley:

4 Likes

Can absolutely relate! On the other hand, if you learn a kanji outside of WK, it will be easier to pass those reviews in WK.

Sounds great! :slight_smile: Yeah, Genki doesnā€™t use romaji either. It has furigana all over the place, but you donā€™t need to use it if you donā€™t want.
Honestly, romaji is more of a crutch than anything.

I managed to ding ding yesterday and do a couple of lessons. Still have 34 to go and itā€™s getting progressively harder as I encounter more and more kanji I genuinely donā€™t know :smiley: . Then again, reading vocab is getting easier and easier somehow. Lots of words with ꄟ in the last batch, but the meanings are very intuitive.

4 Likes

Romaji is for those curious about the language, but with no intention of learning it.
I can understand it being used in a news article or a book, where a specific words needs to be put in Romaji for them to know how to say the word.

But any workbook or study material with respect for itself does not use it!
I have one that does, and it hurts so much Iā€™m never going to use it!
Just do a first chapter about hiragana, problem solved!

Woah, now Iā€™m baffled. Which workbook/textbook is it?

1 Like

According to Tofuguā€™s list, there are several popular textbooks that use it. I canā€™t believe it either!

I occasionally see people complaining in the comments of Misaā€™s Japanese Ammo videos because she dropped the romaji after the first few videos of her absolute beginners series, and seeing those comments makes me feel really grateful that WaniKani has us using kana right from the start. I think itā€™s one of the biggest benefits of regularly using the site as a beginner. Itā€™s scary at first, but you quickly get used to it, and it massively benefits your ability to actually read Japanese sentences.

3 Likes

Updated:

Username Team Old Level New Level
Kraits :caught_durtling: 15 19
oncejess :durtle_tomato: 3 4
AndyMender :durtle_megane: 12 14
Lewby :durtle_noice: 3 4
Jirachi :durtle_hello: 15 16
2 Likes

I leveled up to level 7, it took a little bit longer that expected (23 days) but Iā€™m almost ready for starting the level 7 material as I only have 4 vocab from level 6 left. Letā€™s see hat level 7 brings me.

6 Likes

This one. Do NOT recomend! For several reasons! It is just bad

Ah, okay, I think I sort of understand the intent here. That bookā€™s for English speakers to grasp spoken Japanese quickly, correct? I see it even has a ton of pronunciation hints.

1 Like

Honestly, it is marketed just like any other ā€œlearn Japaneseā€ book, and not as a ā€œlearn some phrases for travelsā€ (I can give those a pass)
So it is just plain bad.

Also, Watakushi is so extremely polite it is plain wrong :durtle_stabby:

1 Like

Honestly, I almost immediately found the romaji more of a struggle than kana? I have a harder time recognizing words I do know in Japanese and it throws me into ā€˜english brainā€™. Maybe because my second language (Hebrew) also uses a non-English alphabet, but I looked at romaji and immediately noped out.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know conversational Hebrew, but I did go to Hebrew school up til bat mitzvah age. Formative years learning a non-Latin script definitely helped when learning kana for the first time (and helps with kanji now that i think about it)
(small hebrew high-five :high_touch:)

2 Likes

My native language used Latin letters, same as English. It still felt like a bad broken crutch as soon as I learned kana. They use several different methods of romanising, none of them perfect. Seeing the actuall kana words makes 1000 times more sense.

Learning kana is just a few hours, can be mastered in a week! (sure, still confuse some at times, especially in different scripts, but that is still better than romaji) Since kana is relatively easy to learn it makes no sense outside of ā€œtravel phrase booksā€ (I can understand the use there, and other similar areas. But not for people who are learning the actual language)

2 Likes

Maybe, but Hebrew is different in that vowels are not usually written and each character (with the exception of Ayin and Aleph) has a single consonant or vowel sound but adding vowels can change that. So a ג can be pronounced just as a g or a g plus any vowel sounds Hebrew can make. In Japanese, every kana with the exception of 悓 will have a vowel in there somewhere and it will be the same one for the same letter every time.

1 Like

levelā€™d but barely scratched level 4 vocab :sweat_smile:

since my lesson ordering is ā€œascending level, then subject,ā€ and I donā€™t have any scripts that would impact the order otherwise, is it guaranteed that i wonā€™t see level 5 radicals until i finish level 4 vocab? I would like that to be true.

4 Likes

I believe so, yes! I usually spend at least five or six days after I level purely working through the previous levelā€™s vocabulary before I even start on the new levelā€™s content. If I want to do the new levelā€™s radicals before then, I have to use a reorder script to get it to give them to me.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m fairly sure we get the order of old vocab, radical, kanji, new vocab; when not using scripts :durtle_noice:

2 Likes