:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Aaaaand back to square one. :sob: Took too much time off to deal with other stuff and fell way behind. Oh well, Iā€™ll get to 60 when if I get there.

9 Likes

Reached level 21 after 31 days! Officially now in the death levels :skull:

Iā€™ve been mixing up a few similar looking characters (ex:困 and 因,ē¶š and ēµ”), so I need to sit down again sometimes and try to really study them. Did start the spring reading challenge, but fell off this month due to life (as per usual). However, I read Japanese comments here and there on youtube, and I can never get over the feeling of actually recognizing words and kanjis (I could read the word ā€œhistoryā€ for example and had to double take cuz I couldnā€™t believe I could finally read this word ahaha).

Iā€™m really hoping I can get back to having a more concrete schedule. I said this a few levels back, but I really fell off in terms of keeping things consistent due to various commitments. Will I finally get my act together next month? Weā€™ll see. In the meanwhile, happy durtling :crabigator:

8 Likes

One thing I do whenever I hit one of these sets of confusing kanji is to come up with new mnemonics of my own, if the WK ones arenā€™t distinct or memorable enough. Then I write the mnemonic in the editable Notes textbox on the reading or meaning section.

If even that doesnā€™t work, I will usually look up the kanjis and some of the words and sentences that contain them on Jisho.org. Then once I get a better sense of the distinction/nuance between a pair or even a set of related, confusing kanji, Iā€™ll add some extra User Synonyms to the different items. Sometimes I might not even end up using the new synonyms as answers during reviews (although other times I do), but mainly they are there for if/when I get the item wrong again, and I can open up the details and quickly check which ā€˜versionā€™ of the vocab/kanji I should have answered, based on the different synonyms associated with them.

Just some ideas that might be helpful. :durtle_megane: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Congratulations!! Glad to see that your consistency really paid off!! Amazing work!! You are the first fellow durtler that Iā€™ve seen reach Level 60, so very inspirational! :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Congratulations on reaching 60!! :partying_face:
You are the first Durtle to reach it :durtle_noice:
Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

5 Likes

Oh, I just noticed in the stats that you joined us at level 6, so have been with us basically from the start! :durtle_love:
May many follow in your path and reach the end

6 Likes

Yep! I found this thread maybe about a month after I started being active on this forum, so it really was at the beginning of my journey! It looks like my first post was #138 here. I remember looking at the skytree thread and similar groups and not wanting to feel pressured to go fast, so I was very glad to find a group that wasnā€™t focused on that! :blush:

7 Likes

There was so many groups with the focus on going fast that I, like many others, felt pressured to go fast as well. I made this group after failing and needing to reset. Iā€™ll probably take a few years to reach the end! But you took about 2 years or so? That is so much more healthy than doing just at the 1 year mark (max speed).
Iā€™ve gone a little too slow, so will probably go faster later. But adjusting speed depending on what time you have for it is very important, rather than pushing ma and burn out :durtjovahs_witness:

7 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m so glad that I took it slower! Funnily enough, almost every person I started with who was going faster than me did in fact end up dropping off at some point. I can only think of maybe two people who started when I did who actually managed to get to the finish line going faster than me. In the end, slow and steady really does win the race! :wink:

Good luck!! It definitely is possible to go too slow, too, but definitely better than going too fast and burning out! Iā€™m sure youā€™ll figure out the right pace for you at some point!

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a really neat idea! Thank you for sharing :smile:

I was doing it in the early levels, but I found actually learning to write the characters I mix up with help reinforce the differences. I think I might also incorporate your method as well to better memorize them.

2 Likes

Leveled up yesterday to level 13! Spent 41 days on level 12. Slow and steady right!? Iā€™ve been really busy lately but Iā€™ve been making sure to do some number of reviews every day even if I donā€™t have enough time to do all of them.

One thing that was a little frustrating was that I did reviews every day (I swear) but for some reason my heatmap shows a 4 day gap, which broke my 100+ day streakā€¦ Oh well. Iā€™m no programmer, so Iā€™m not sure why this happened, but whatever. I just need to keep in mind that my ā€œstreakā€ doesnā€™t really matter as long as I keep up the daily habit. :hugs:

13 Likes

WK pushed an update that broke that part of heatmap. If you update your script, itā€™ll record your reviews locally (though if you use WK across multiple devices, it will only track the reviews on the device itā€™s installed on). There are a few ways to fix your streak manually, if you really want. Look at recent posts in the thread for more information:

5 Likes

Ohhh, that makes sense, thank you for the information! Iā€™ve started doing reviews on my phone lately since Iā€™ve been out of the house a lot, so that must be why.

3 Likes

hush hush :tada: !! congrats!!! :speak_no_evil:

Iā€™ve been level 10 for 9 days and I only completed the radicals part until today. I was so busy and then went on a mini trip and now I have a maybe too relaxed attitude towards the mountain of lessons waiting.
Today I was wondering if it was okay to ignore the pile for almost a week, Iā€™m enjoying a lot the less than 50 reviews a day :eyes: ā€¦

I had 8 items in Apprentice until tonight when I reluctantly learned 25 new items out of guilt. Now I have only 33 and I plan to keep it like this for a bit. I feel I had more time to read manga and enjoy the new vocab Iā€™ve learned.

Also the Master to Enlightened old pile is making the rounds (specially Sundays :skull: ) which reminded my of the famous words ofā€¦

Itā€™s happeningā€¦ the prophecy was real
tenor

6 Likes

Leveled up after 2 years :sob:

13 Likes

If it helps you get more reading in, then yes it is worth it.
Find the max apprentice number you are comfortable with.
I like to keep it under 50.
These last few weeks Iā€™ve been so busy I havenā€™t added a single one, so Iā€™m actually down to zero :caught_durtling:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been so busy lately that I havenā€™t done any new lessons, only durtled my reviews.
So now Iā€™m nearly clearing out all items :durtjovahs_witness:

I will lessons again once my schedule clears up. Having cleared out all items like this means I have no bad leeches left either, so I might even be able to speed up a bit.

6 Likes

:tada: :partying_face:
Woot woot! I finally finished level 29, and made it to 30! Yayyyy!!! :smiley:
:durtle_noice:

Itā€™s been a long one! It took me 64 days to finish 29, which is only about a day shorter than my longest break of 65 days from WK, which was between level 3 and level 4, when I was saving up to get the lifetime membership. (Well, except for the burn-out break which is no longer in my stats because I reset to level 7 after it.)

I admit I was actually a bit worried about breaking that early record, since it would have become the dark-grey column on my stats page as the longest level. I donā€™t know. Intellectually I know it doesnā€™t really matter, but psychologically, I just didnā€™t want to ā€˜go thereā€™.

But, I didnā€™t ā€˜rushā€™ the level to beat it. I just did a few more sessions and slightly longer sessions for the last couple of weeks to make sure I would be able to Guru all my kanji in time before the 65 day ā€˜limitā€™.

Partly it took much longer because I had been maintaining a bit of a higher pace in the past several months, but I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed and started to lose motivation, and so I started to do a lot fewer reviews per session. (Although, I did manage to keep doing at least some reviews every single day, which I think is what really got me through.)

As I was doing fewer reviews per session, my review pile started to grow and grow. But the most important thing I did at that time was to completely stop doing any new lessons until I could find a new comfortable pace and begin to get the review pile back under control.

So, now Iā€™m going at about 2/3 of the pace I was going at before, maybe even a bit less than that. But itā€™s more comfortable and more sustainable. I want to be able to allow myself to be demotivated sometimes (thatā€™s just the ups and downs of life for me), and not have such a giant pile of reviews creep up on me again, so keeping to this slower pace makes sense for my future peace of mind and sanity.

In related news, Iā€™ve noticed that Iā€™m much much much more able to read Japanese now than ever before. Instead of knowing only about 50% of the words in a sentence, and thus not really being able to confidently get the meaning, I think Iā€™m closer to 75% or even more. And having kept up with studying grammar on BunPro, while Iā€™m not able to come up with an accurate English translation for any given sentence, I can at least ā€˜get the gistā€™ of what many sentences mean now! :open_mouth: < gasp! >

Anyway, Iā€™ve been less active here than previously, cuz I was trying to stay focused on doing reviews, but now that the ā€˜crisisā€™ has been successfully tamed and averted, I may end up replying to a few posts I neglected, in the near future.

Hope yā€™all are doing well with your own journeys. Donā€™t forget to stop and smell the sakura! :cherry_blossom: :turtle: < sniff sniff > :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

:laughing:
This was one of those posts I neglected. That gif is so funny in this context! But I couldnā€™t reply right away because I was literally experiencing exactly that kind of thing as I first read it. Iā€™m like, "Yeah, even though I predicted it, I still got caught by it myself! :man_facepalming: Dā€™oh! :sweat_smile: "

Congrats on level 10! No shame in adjusting your pace to match changing life stuffs, and new incoming Masters and Enlighteneds. Just keep on keepinā€™ on! And enjoy the trip along the way! :sunglasses: :+1:

4 Likes

I reached 0/0 for the first time since level 3! Technically it was yesterday.

I also got my level 60 thread posted! It isā€¦ a literal novella in length, so just a warning for that :sweat_smile:. But I wanted to cover everything that I could, so it is very in-depth.

I added a link to it in my row in the durtle squad chart at the top of the thread because I figured that people coming to this thread might appreciate reading about my experience of getting to level 60 the slow and steady route.

14 Likes