:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

がんばってください!

wish you the best of luck with wanikani (and life in general)

:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! がんばります :muscle:

3 Likes

ヾ(*・ω・)ノ゜どういたしまして!

:muscle:

3 Likes

After another reset and 60 days of getting my reviews down, I just leveled back up to level 21. Scenic route, right? I’ve been here since 2013~
Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 2.41.12 PM

15 Likes

Hello there!
I was wondering if I could join in on the fun?!
I’ve tried a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago to speedrun everything and got immensely depressed once I realized I had an overwhelming pile of reviews every night waiting for me loooool. Since then I’ve been taking it very slowly and I’m enjoying myself much much more! :turtle: :turtle:

Here is a view of my scenic progress :turtle:

14 Likes

yes, welcome to the durtle way :durtle_noice:

6 Likes

Thank you for accepting me in Durtle heaven :durtjovahs_witness:

5 Likes

Made it to level 45! Uh, a couple days ago :sweat_smile:.

I spent thirteen days on the last level, and the time passed in a weird blur. I started off feeling really down about, well, everything, and was also stressing out about a job application I needed to get submitted, but then the thing that I’d been waiting for for 3+ years, the thing that got me into wrestling in the first place, and which was ultimately my reason for wanting to learn Japanese, finally happened??

It was maybe the biggest mood whiplash of my entire life, haha. So this level, I was distracted again, but this time in a good way :blush:.

Pro wrestling showing us that maybe love is still real after all… :smiling_face_with_tear:

unbridled_joy

8 Likes

Had some weeks behind me. But at long last, Ive reached level 18 and thus for the first time, I am further ahead than when I reset! :durtle:

8 Likes

Level 46!

The last level was on the slightly longer end—it took fourteen and a half days. It was thankfully a lot less eventful.

I finished up my listen every day challenge for September with a perfect score, and I started a read every day challenge for October and November. I also signed up for a free conversational Spanish class at the school I work at, so I’m about to challenge myself a little extra :sweat_smile:.

My TJPW translation account gained a whole bunch of followers, and now I have over 140, which is a little scary. I also have my longest translation ahead of me: it’s just shy of 10,000 characters.

I’m also doing a drawing challenge for the month of October, and am going to be heading into NaNoWriMo right after that, so it’s going to be a pretty busy couple of months.

I’m slightly reducing my daily lesson load; I’m going from 11 lessons a day (3 kanji and 8 vocab) to 10 (3 kanji and 7 vocab). I might further reduce it for this last stretch just because the later levels have less vocab than the earlier ones. It’s not really a decrease in overload workload, though, because I have enough items from older levels kicking around in my reviews, it more than makes up for a slightly smaller lesson influx.

I’m trying to keep an eye on things to make sure I don’t get too swamped with stuff if I end up getting a full time job. It’s tricky trying to balance so many different priorities :sweat_smile:.

10 Likes

Whew, quite a busy few months indeed! I hope you have a lot of fun with all that you have going on. And may December be a month of rejuvenating rest.

5 Likes

I spent over 100 days on level 14, and it looks like level 15 might not go much faster. But I had screwed up and let the reviews pile up on level 14, so I spent months just getting those down again–and the thing is, I think I learned some things in the process.

I’m aware of words that I used to screw up that I’m now getting right, from the months of reviews while inching toward level 15. (I’m still at a 60% correct level most days, which my high school perfectionist self would have been appalled by, but it’s rather liberating to just do it for fun and be aware of incremental progress.)

9 Likes

haven’t been on here for a while, but levelled up to 13 two days ago!! i spent over 17 days on level 12, probably because I wasn’t as consistent as I should be- school stuff(AP courses, woohoo got in the way lol.

have 90 lessons, most being level 12 vocab and stuff. hoping I’m a bit quicker with this level, but honestly, the amount of work I’m doing outside of wk for Japanese makes up for it. i do genki(my favourite textbooks lol) and have a Japanese tutor whom I meet with weekly :slight_smile:

what I feel like drives me to keep going now is recognizing and understanding kanji(and getting the contextual meaning) in sentences. i remember the first time I was able to read a complete sentence in Japanese and understand it(in animal crossing lmfao)- I was so happy

@fallynleaf have fun studying! make sure to take time for yourself, and rest if you need to(I should take my own advice, honestly)

@Need2Read my current perfectionist self is appalled by even 80% on anything. except maybe testing for piano intervals. those are hard.

7 Likes

Because of school I had to slow down a lot, as well as me getting more and more things that I don’t remember. I’m almost done with my vocab though (I think I have about 40 left) and after that I’ll be moving onto clearing level 14.

8 Likes

hooray! :confetti_ball:

がんばってください!

4 Likes

Welp, finally cleared level 13 vocab and reached the six measly L14 radicals I saw those many weeks ago.

Ran into some danger of waiting too long between learning kanji and the vocab. The kanji wasn’t getting enough reinforcement. It’d hit Master or Enlightenment level before I saw the vocab word and I’d flub the review lol. Then I was reviewing kanji and corresponding vocab at the same time.

I’ll try not to wait too long between kanji and vocab lessons this time.

7 Likes

Way up earlier in the thread I made a suggestion to handle this kind of situation, and it doesn’t require any plugins either, it’s a built-in WK feature:

If you go into Settings > App, there is a setting called “Lesson ordering”, and the default setting is “Ascending level then subject”. This is the typical ordering where you get all the Radicals first, then all the Kanji, then all the Vocab.

But, if you are durtling the scenic route, you might run into the situation where you’re done almost all your kanji before even the first vocab comes up!

So, I suggest considering the third setting, which is “Ascending level then shuffled”. With this setting, at your current level, all the radicals, kanji, and vocabs are shuffled together (once they are unlocked, of course), so that you can start working on vocab as soon as it is available. Some vocab is available right at the start of the level (building on kanji from previous levels). Other vocab will get unlocked once you get the kanji up to Guru as usual.

I find this setting much more pleasant to work with, since I always have a variety of things to work on, radicals, kanji and vocab.

And, probably the most important thing is that you get to work on the vocab for a specific kanji as soon as the kanji gets to Guru – you don’t have to wait until all the other kanji are started first. This means you get the reinforcement from the vocab closer to when it is needed.

Another bonus is that you don’t always have to end each level with a giant pile of vocab, which IMHO can be a little boring (or challenging, depending on your comfort with vocab).

TL;DR: Try changing Settings > App > Lesson Ordering to the “Ascending level then shuffle” setting.

6 Likes

Thanks for resuggesting it! I was happy with the default order at the time, but I think I’ll give “ascending level then shuffled” a try :+1:

4 Likes

I recall the “OMG too much stuff coming too quickly” my first time around, and am planning to pace myself more this time (took a several year break in between). However… at the same time the early levels are very much in the “I know most of this” category, so “rush what I know then slow down” is my current plan, but I’m not 100% sure how to balance the transition.

I, uh, haven’t read through all 600 messages here, but a quick search didn’t find any advice on that front?

5 Likes

Quick and simplified: Just take it as slow as is comfortable and enjoyable for you – ask yourself, “Could I maintain this pace for my entire journey through WaniKani?” – and the SRS system will pretty much automatically adjust to match whatever pace you choose. Slowing down almost always just means doing fewer lessons until the pace starts to feel sustainable again.

2 Likes