:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

As for the basic settings, I agree. But I will always recommend the script with full control over this if at all possible.
I always do vocabulary first, if there are any. I then divide my kanji to just 3-5 a day (depending on how I feel. 3 and 5 are both basic settings for batch size)
When these kanji come back in such a small batch I can generally do the vocabs from them next morning. If too many vocabs unlocked, I only do vocabs that day.
I do radicals last, after all kanji are out as well as no vocabs. Do my reviews first, so I am sure it will not unlock anything. Get my 0/0 when I do the radicals (them I do in one sitting)

But if someone has no option for script (working on a school/job computer or something), then this is the best option I agree

1 Like

Still durtlinā€™. Letā€™s go! Eventuallyā€¦

6 Likes

Tomorrowā€™s the day! Time for my first burns!

7 Likes

Yay burns achieved! :fire:

15 Likes

I love this! Gambaranai!

2 Likes

Congrats on your first burns!! :fire: :turtle: :fire: :durtle_stabby:

2 Likes

Thank you!! :grin: and thanks for starting a group for us durtlers :turtle: feels good to be able to stick with something for months on end and see the progress made

4 Likes

Yes! Better go slow and make some progress no mater the time it takes, than go fast and give up! :durtle_love:

3 Likes

I hit level 16! I am officially one quarter of the way to level 60! I sort of accidentally leveled up, because I was hoping for another day to finish writing the inaugural post for a thread Iā€™ve been meaning to start here (I keep promising Iā€™ll start it before I level up, and then I keep not doing it :sweat_smile:), but it was about on target for what I was expecting this level. I spent twelve days on level 15. It looks like 16 has a little more vocab, so itā€™ll probably take me a day or two longer.

I also finished lesson 9 in Minna no Nihongo, and have only a few more days left on lesson 10! Been making some good progress all around.

5 Likes

Oh hey, I went to edit the wiki post at the beginning of this thread, and I realized that I have been posting in this thread for ten solid levels! Thatā€™s about five months. Thatā€™s pretty cool! Thank you @DurtleHeaven for starting this thread, and thank you to everyone else for keeping this little community afloat!

5 Likes

Yay! a quarter of the way! :durtle_noice:
It does come sooner than we might think, since only 60 levels!
Iā€™m at 1/6 :caught_durtling:
At about half a year. Keep this speed and Iā€™ll do 1/3 a year, thus 3 years. Not bad, not bad.

3 Likes

Iā€™m at level 15 right now, so 1/4 of the way in around 8 months, so maybe Iā€™ll finish in 2 1/2 years. Lately Iā€™ve kept a very steady pace of 15-18 days. Letā€™s see how it goes.

5 Likes

My people!

Thank you @AndyMender for pointing out this thread.

Isnā€™t it amazing how everyoneā€™s 儽(恙)ćå«Œ(恍悉)恄 differ?

I completely understand and even agree with your reasoning, but, personally, I love reviewing vocabulary. To me, evil pink kanji is hard ā€” it almost feels like work! Pleasing purple vocabulary is fun and usually easier. Seeing all that purple at the end of a level is like the dessert course for me. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m still a little new to how the community, topics and threads work, so can someone explain to me how to join the Durtle Squad? :blush:

6 Likes

Hi there, I definitely belong here. Have been at level 16 for a couple years now, and going at a much steadier pace now.

6 Likes

Once you make a few comments, give and recieve a few likes, your status will go from Basic to Member. Then you can edit the post with the member list to add yourself to the list.
You can also just share your experience or anything you want to talk about your progress here in the comments =)

3 Likes

I just finished lesson 10 in Minna no Nihongo! I am officially 1/5th of the way through the beginner series! I always think Iā€™m moving so slowly with Japanese, but then I realize that Iā€™m picking up more and more from twitter and things that I see and hear in wrestling shows, and I realize that I actually am learning a whole lot between WK and my textbook!

I looked ahead to the lesson 11 vocab, and am happy to see that there are only five kanji that I donā€™t know yet :relieved:. I also donā€™t have to worry about trying to memorize the things counters, because WK already took care of those for me many levels ago, haha!

7 Likes

Evil burns! :durtle_stabby: :fire: :turtle: :fire:
Noticed by chance, had to screen and share! :durtle_love:

5 Likes

Oh, oops, I didnā€™t intend to convey that I dislike vocabs. The blech was in reference to having a big stack of them at the end of a level, and then you level up, and now you not only have to deal with new radicals and kanjis, but also have to work on the vocabs from previous levels, too. In other words, you have to split your learning focus on stuff from two different levels. That makes things feel ā€˜rushedā€™ or ā€˜pressuredā€™ to me, and thatā€™s why I said ā€˜blechā€™! :sweat_smile:

I actually enjoy vocabs, too. They are less pressure and they can help spread out the learning of new kanji/radicals so that the pacing is more even and enjoyable. Itā€™s just that getting them all in a lump feels unbalanced or whatever.

3 Likes

Looks like you just did! :smiley::turtle:!

2 Likes