:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Hooray, I got my first enlightens today! :tada: :tada:

8 Likes

So the good news is I feel like Iā€™ve made a lot of progress since I last posted here a wee bit ago, on the other hand for this first time my ā€œnew unlocksā€ is empty.

I just did a whole bunch of radical lessons though, so there should be more soonā€¦

7 Likes

I didnā€™t know how Iā€™d feel to have 0 Apprentice, but I think I like it. I paused on any new lessons because I got rather busy with work and raising a toddler. It seems that durtling really suits me. Iā€™m a little afraid of when those 700 Enlightened start coming back to haunt me thoughā€¦

6 Likes

Donā€™t worry about the Enlightened items. They will come in the same batches as when you were working through them :). Even when you Burn items, you can still unburn them.

2 Likes

I love getting that zero! It marks ā€œNo bad leechesā€ :durtle_noice:

I have over 1000 Enlightened, getting the first batch on Saturday! Burning before reaching level 10, I like it!
I donā€™t fear Enlightened. The items in Enlightened were never leeches, they went up where they should and should mostly be burned on first try (or so I hope)
And if not, well, Iā€™ll probably get them back to Enlightened quickly enough and hopefully get them second time around.

Chances are, you see them once and then they are gone! (unless manually unburned)

1 Like

Made it to level 11! Fifteen and a half days this time, haha!

I spent this level running through the leech training script once every day, and I really recommend it (once you get far enough along to have leeches, at least). It has already helped me identify items that Iā€™m confusing for others, and gives me a little more practice on the things Iā€™m struggling with. It adds a little extra time onto my daily workload, but since my review load is fairly light, I have plenty of energy for things like this.

Since Iā€™ve talked about my struggles with this this a few times in this thread, I found a website for practicing your listening comprehension of Japanese numbers! This is exactly what I needed. If anyone else is struggling with this, or just wants some extra practice, itā€™s fantastic.

5 Likes

First burns!!! :fire::turtle::fire: :durtle_stabby:
Feels good getting them this early! :durtle_love:
Iā€™ve been durteling very slow lately due to time. Get my reviews done, but not enough time to do lessons/add more reviews. :caught_durtling:
That one Guru was my last apprentice, so also reached that sweet zero apprentice again :durtle_megane:

Iā€™ve been level 9 for a while, but not done a single lesson (only finished of level 8 items in the lesson queue)
I probably wonā€™t do any new items in July either. Iā€™ll see what time I get, but most likely will wait till August. :caught_durtling:

9 Likes

Congrats on first burns!!! :fire: :fire: :tada:

My first are scheduled for August, so I hope to join you soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve also started burning this week (Iā€™m level 11), so congrats to you :clap:

Iā€™m keeping a fine pace for me right now with around 10 lessons a day, taking between 15-20 days per level. With the end of school this week and having my kids on holidays this week was kind of crazy and I had to adjust my schedule. But I managed to do the reviews and only missed lessons 1-2 days.

5 Likes

ćƒŠć‚¤ć‚¹ļ¼ Congrats to @Gymgirl and @DurtleHeaven on the burns! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t started playing with scripts much yet, but Iā€™m hoping there is one for taking random quizzes on burnt items. I think something like that would be handy, and might let me know which ones I would like to unburn to get a refresher.

2 Likes

Iā€™m itching to burn a few. Iā€™ve been busy with work so this is a perfect reason to pause with lessons for a bit. I think my first batch will be in 11 days. Iā€™ll be on vacation in a cabin, but Iā€™ll have wifi and a few minutes to spare for the occasion. I might even have a celebratory meal over the campfire, to go with the burning theme of the day!

4 Likes

Way to go!

1 Like

Finished lesson 5 of Minna no Nihongo! And Iā€™m about halfway through level 11 of WK. Itā€™s kind of nice that theyā€™re offset, haha, because it means Iā€™m celebrating some achievement of some sort just about every week.

This means that Iā€™m 1/5th of the way through the first MNN book, and 1/10 of the way through the beginner series as a whole. Proud of myself for being able to stick with the textbook for over two and a half months!

Honestly, Iā€™ve stopped viewing my WK progression in terms of leveling up. Iā€™m more concerned with just getting my daily lessons and reviews in each day, and leveling up will happen when it happens. I think switching to doing 3 kanji a day instead of doing them in large batches has been helpful for viewing the WK experience as a gradual progression, and not as a series of big milestones.

8 Likes

I believe the self-study quiz can do this! Iā€™ve only used it on very recent lessons, and nothing else, but I think it has a setting for burned items.

3 Likes

hit my first level 6 radical after 41 days of cleaning up level 5 vocab :muscle:

7 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Sanna and Iā€™m on a looong Scenic Route. Oh dear. Itā€™s been 320 days on level 6. Just yesterday, after 2 weeks, I finally got myā€¦ what 600ā€¦ reviews to zero, so now I can actually start to struggle again in real time. Add Kaniwani to that as well, Iā€™m soo far behind with that. I started serving Crabinator two years ago. Now my goal is just to get those apprentice items to 0 in both wk and kw, before doing any lessonsā€¦

7 Likes

Sounds like a very good plan! After a long absence, getting apprentice down to zero will help you get the leeches out before continuing :durtle_noice:

1 Like

Made it to level 12! Looks like 16 days is going to be my usual pace for the levels with more items, but thatā€™s okay! I actually almost caught up with my lesson pile by the end of this level and I was a little worried I was going to run out of lessons! But then I hit level 12 and was greeted with a 99 item lesson pile, so Iā€™m not in danger of running out of things to do anytime soon haha!

4 Likes

I managed to hit 0 apprentice items again! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Such a lovely feeling!

@fallynleaf So cool to see another fan of Japanese pro wrestling. I love Suzukigun very much, especially Douki. My favourite promotions right now are DDT and Dragon Gate, theyā€™ve really kept me sane through the pandemic.
Itā€™s such a fun resource to get used to hearing and seeing Japanese! Moments where the wrestlers say things to eachother in ring and I realise that I can understand what they said make me so happy.

8 Likes