:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Hellooo!! Nice to meet you, my nameā€™s Maine. Long story short: I started listening to Japanese music and wanted to know what they were singing. So I looked up the lyrics and fell in love with the written language lol. And thatā€™s how my language journey started.

Itā€™s been a few years since then. I took classes a few years ago, but then quit because of school. Then I took a 3 year hiatusā€¦ But at the beginning of this year I decided to take it up again. I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing lol. I just enjoy listening to music and watching youtube videos :woman_shrugging: Just going with the flow I guess.

Oh. And Iā€™m from the Netherlands. Thatā€™s it :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I hit level 9! I keep expecting to level up a little earlier since I started doing 13 lessons some days instead of 10, but it still took me fourteen and a half days, which is pretty much on track with the speed Iā€™ve been going at, haha! Oh well, if itā€™s working for me so far, I canā€™t complain!

6 Likes

I see you have gotten some good answers already :durtle_love:
It is very good to focus on vocabs first!
But even with scripts you can only do unlocked vocabs, so have to learn the radical and kanji first (you need that knowledge to do the vocabs anyway, as they assume you to know this part already). Once some are learned, doing the vocabs they unlocked before continuing is what is great! And the ā€œanti abuseā€ of the re-order script (re-order abuse is when they leave the vocabs in lesson, only do the other two and keep leveling with hundreds, even thousands, of vocabs left unlearned)

When I Guru Kanji I always do the vocabs they unlocked before doing new Kanji lessons, so I can continue working on those items before adding new kanji to learn. This affects the levels speed to be slower, since I never push to get many out at once. Which is why we are here :durtle_noice:

2 Likes

An update on my progress while at it, which also displays it well.

When I leveled up I first did the Vocabs unlocked from Level 7, as you unlock some from the last kanji needed to Guru. After finishing those I did the ā€œopen at level upā€ vocab from Level 8 (note: Level 1 has none of these, but all others do. They use kanji learned in earlier levels, but not thought till later to not confuse items with each other (transitive vs intransitive verbs))
I had to use the re-order script to get those level 8 vocabs I believe (well, I use it out of habit so canā€™t be sure if default helps. I think default would giuve me lvl 7 vocab, then radical kanji before lvl 8 vocab)

Once all vocabs was done and ready for next lesson (I did review them to near Guru first) I did the open Kanji. I ended up finishing all before first Gurued. Continued with reviews without lessons as I was a bit busy, so now Gurued those kanji.

Next I will do the opened Vocabulary from those kanji before doing radicals, which unlocks next set of kanji. I will do the radicals when no vocab lessons are in, and reviews zero. Thus get the 0/0 of this level before I unlock second set of kanji.

1 Like

That of many feeble attempts throughout my teenage years while listening to and singing Japanese songs, watching anime, etc. until last year I decided itā€™s time to ā€œget dangerousā€ and am plowing (even on Sundays!) since then :slight_smile: .

That is correct :slight_smile: . By default lessons will come from lower levels first and in the order radicals > kanji > vocab. Things get a little more mixed up if you have kanji and/or radical leeches from lower levels.

EDIT:

Since we talked about textbooks recently, I would suggest being careful with new vocab in Genki (the 単čŖž sections), especially if that vocab overlaps with WaniKani. Not all translations are 100% correct and some might be misleading. If I know the kanji or am somewhat familiar with the parts of the vocab item, I double-check with Jisho and for my Anki sets take a translation thatā€™s a general approximation of the meaning or the meaning from Jisho.

For instance:
ć€œę™®é€š - normal, regular (ticket) and not ā€œlocalā€; the train can be local, but itā€™s just a ā€œregularā€ train
怜ē‰¹ę€„ - theoretically means ā€œsuper expressā€, but for instance Jisho (and WaniKani) lists this as ā€œlimited-expressā€ which it more likely is (ē‰¹ę€„åˆ—č»Š - limited-express train)
恚恄恶悓 - I added ā€œterriblyā€ to my Anki set for adjectives, but Genki has ā€œveryā€ as a translation; ā€œveryā€ is a catch-all word and there is already ćØ恦悂 for that

3 Likes

Ding! Level 6. After a smooth 31 days on level 5 :durtle_noice:

8 Likes

Wow, Iā€™ve not heard about Japanese pro wrestling before but that sounds really interesting! Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet - it looks super useful - and the offer of help with MNN :blush: atm Iā€™m just learning the MNN vocab on Memrise, but will let you know if I have any questions when I start properly!

What is your story and Japanese journey?

I first got fascinated with Japanese culture and language (like lots of people I guess!) through Studio Ghibli. :evergreen_tree: I hope to go and live in Japan for a while in the future!

Iā€™m also learning Cantonese :blush: if anyone wants to join me in figuring out how Canto & onā€™yomi fit together, head over here!

3 Likes

Hi @Maine and @AndyMender :wave: nice to meet you too! Ah thatā€™s awesome, music is the best. What are your fave Japanese artists? I listen to a bit of JPop, but mostly only from anime :laughing: would be good to broaden my horizons! Anime recommendations always welcome too - my fave atm is Nagi no Asu Kara :ocean:

2 Likes

Taking the scenic route here too. I have 34 lessons and 0 reviews and around 50 apprentice items. Recently came back and reset down to level 4. I prioritize vocab in my lessons and do kanji last so Iā€™m on the real slow boat.
Also in a depression slump atm so WK is all Iā€™m doing, my Genki has fallen by the wayside sadly. And Bunpro. And Kitsun. Itā€™s just so hard when you donā€™t even feel like getting dressed.
Anyway, nice to meet you all and letā€™s Durtle together!

7 Likes

I used to listen to a ton of anime songs when I was younger. Currently, my goto band is Asian Kung Fu Generation, but I really like YOASOBI, Hitomitoi and Ryusenkei. Also, a bunch of older artists like Taeko Oonuki, Tatsuro Yamashita and Junko Ohashi and the song Sukiyaki :smiley: .

Nagi no Asu Kara looks fun! Right now Iā€™m watching Shikabane Hime which is decent, but has a dumbster fire of a love triangle (god whyā€¦) and a plot so slow that it takes 2 (out of 2) seasons to get anywhere (and still doesnā€™t, from the looks of itā€¦). The manga isnā€™t much better, based on the couple first chapters I read :frowning:. The other thing Iā€™m watching is His and Her Circumstances. This oneā€™s an absolute blast! Mellow, old-school animation from Gainax (think pre-2000s) with a very good, though slightly psychological and dark plot. Itā€™s definitely not as naive as most romcoms.

2 Likes

Welcome welcome! Scenic route is here for you. Especially on days where it takes all there is just to get dressed. Take your time.

4 Likes

Lovely to meet you @crmsnprincess89 - I hope the depression lifts soon. We are here and rooting for you! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Mmm, know how that feels. It will get better, though. Fingers crossed! :slight_smile:
Relevant Bo-J Horseman reference:

2 Likes

Finished lesson 3 in Minna no Nihongo, as well as completing the first review, which covered material from the first three lessons! So far, my understanding of everything is still pretty good, though I make occasional mistakes. I got a little tripped up by the readings for numbers, since Iā€™ve only practiced a few of them on WaniKani. I added some flashcards to my Anki deck for the numbers that rendaku, which will hopefully help me remember them. I was a little surprised honestly by how well I did at figuring out the readings just from the tiny bit of practice Iā€™ve had in WK. My listening comprehension of numbers in general is pretty poor, though I do get a fair amount of practice with them from watching wrestling, though mostly years and dates and match time limits!

5 Likes

I actually have an Anki deck called Amounts where I keep the various item counters with numbers which change pronunciation. That might work for you as well :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Well Iā€™m really on the scenic route for level 7. I had 140 lessons when I signed in today - skipped lessons a couple days because I just didnā€™t feel like it. Knocked it down to 125. Yikes. But going slowly has worked so much better for my review percentages, and my brain in general that Iā€™m pleased with it. Maybe Iā€™ll try to do a little Genki this afternoon but after 15 lessons I just want to play Animal Crossing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You know you are Durtling slow when previous level items reaches Enlightened! :caught_durtling:
I just sent Level 7 Radicals to Enlightened while still being level 8 :durtle_noice:
Will level soon, my last kanji are in Apprentice 4

8 Likes

Still Durtling here. Was welcomed to level 6 with the new word: ćć‚“ćŸć¾

5 Likes

I enjoyed learning that word because it allowed me to understand no less than two separate puns that I heard in wrestling promos haha! Currently, Iā€™ve gotten more practical application out of having learned 金ēŽ‰ than I have out of 90% of the more ā€œusefulā€ vocabulary that WK teaches.

5 Likes

Wow, make that a third time, actually! This is from the backstage comments of a NJPW show a few days ago:

Taichi is the culprit for all three times Iā€™ve seen this word in the wild. I think this is the first time they actually subtitled what he was saying directly, though. Heā€™s making a pun on the tag team Golden Ace, which he likes to refer to as ā€œGolden Ballsā€ (in English).

3 Likes