Let's decipher stylized kanji!

If you’re talking about the image in the original post… I don’t think so? The kanji are decipherable for me as a Chinese native speaker. The hiragana are a little harder, but you need to have some experience with hiragana styles to guess certain characters. I think there are a few other kanji in this thread that might be harder for native speakers though.

In particular…

This is confusing, yeah. I think I can see these kanji: 日塩引沢蟹灘真砂路紀文舎岳. I have no context whatsoever though, and I don’t know enough about 草書 (which is probably the cursive script that was used to write this) and old-ish kana writing to decipher everything.

1 Like

so. this is a weird one in that i know what it should be, but i’m confused as to why it looks like it does and haven’t been able to find anything on it in my searching. so this is a haiku (shiki, tho i can’t find the original anywhere :frowning: ).

most of it i’m cool with 三千の俳句を??し柿ふたつ but what on earth is that thing between を and し?? there’s a romanisation given which says ‘etsushi’ for that bit (including the shi) which means the only logical thing it can be is 閲 which fits in context, but why does it look like that? old version? is this just the calligraphy way of writing that?

maybe worth mentioning that this is from a non-japanese thing

1 Like

I have no idea what that is lol

It looks like 又 inside of 門

1 Like

Found something related to it, might be an expression or proverb 【三千の俳句を閲し柿二つ】俳句の季語や意味・表現技法・鑑賞文・作者など徹底解説!!

I think the 兑 part is typical of a caligraphy style where you draw the 口 part cursively so it doesn’t look much like a square box:

End result being something like this:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s standard, but it might just be a borrowing of part of the simplification for 閲 in 草書 (cursive script):

The 口 in the middle can be collapsed into a single line. I’m not completely convinced that this is what happened, but I think that’s the most likely explanation. Do you have a source for this?

EDIT: Seems like the haiku itself is fairly famous, so we can sure that 閲 is the right character. I’d just go with non-standard simplification as an explanation, unless you know who wrote this/what the context of this calligraphy piece was.

2 Likes

that’s what i thought it was at first glance too, but then a quick search made me realise oh, oh that’s not a thing, oh dear :joy:

1 Like

oh!!! i didn’t know that was a thing you could do in calligraphy (need to look into calligraphy more) but that looks like it!! also definitely saving that website for future use, it looks super helpful!

i was worried it would be some form of cursive i didn’t know :sweat_smile: so, the calligraphy itself comes from a (not made in or by japan) haiku calendar i have, but i have no idea who did it, or whether it’s a reference to a specific piece of calligraphy from something else that they’ve just copied here, or whatever. there’s no listing of who did it, so i assume it was just outsourced or someone within the company itself? no clue.

tldr: no, not really :sweat_smile:

thanks everybody!

2 Likes

Here’s a bit of fun - figure out the prefecture names and learn (or guess?) something about what they are famous for at the same time!

5 Likes

I can read… almost all of those, and recognise the reference for most of them, I’d say.

little help? Something about japan being far away?

3 Likes

gosh, that really is difficult to read isn’t it. sorry, don’t think you’ll be able to get much help from a level-5er. where did you even find it?

friend is japanese…trying to test me but clearly I’m still struggling to read regular font…i don’t have a hope with this…

1 Like

sent this one too…i can see this one a bit better…big name beautiful woman house selection?? lol

3 Likes

oh it’s like actually on the cloth? is that even a cloth?

1 Like

i personally love ancient japanese, it’s just the font which annoys me but it also looks the best!

looks like cloth, a wall hanging of some kind…guess he’s going around his house finding kanji to “test” me with…but unless it’s wanikani font or font in childrens books i’m not there yet…I should get the font randomizer …

1 Like

were or are they considered sentimental?

1 Like

the first one he said was a present from his mother in law…a parting gift when she went back to japan. the other no…just a gift he won from the japanese society here in town that they brought back…

2 Likes

if i equipped any of those, there would be a high chance of me treasuring it. usually if i own something japanese, it’s modern, like a calendar or something, you know?

I’m guessing…

日本の地を
遠そよ、そして
近そよ
主神に?して
再会を待つ

But I’m absolutely making some of that up out of whole cloth.

2 Likes