Let's decipher stylized kanji!

No one knows…

1 Like

“Imagine how” is “touch the sky”.

2 Likes

So, the middle kanji on the bottle and the glass are the same, but I can’t work out what either of them actually is. Any thoughts?

Looks like 海

1 Like

Yeah, I think you’ve got it. I was a bit unsure at first, because there seems to be too much going on at the top for that, but here is their website, with the same logo.

Especially looking at the glass, the left side water radical is not in the ancient form you’d expect, for that style, but the ride side is.

1 Like

She’s doing better than my husband. He could read maybe 2 of them, and for the rest he just shook his head and looked at me like I was insane. :joy:

That’s Hakkaisan. It’s made in Niigata Prefecture, and it’s good stuff!

1 Like

This was in the intro to 勇者ヨシヒコ. Not that difficult but still interesting typography (and quite funny)

予算よさんの少ない冒険ぼうけん活劇かつげき

2 Likes
My interpretation.

予算
少ない
冒険
活劇 didn’t know this word yet.

1 Like

the edges are a bit cut off by the lock. You can see the left half of the の just above the い :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Maybe their hand slipped

1 Like

I found some really cute cat drawings and wondered what they say. I’m terrible at calligraphy reading. :sweat_smile:

92419085647b81596aef042783893641

bc20b3f7a4b2ac74c218ac4b4028504a

images

I only get that 4: winter something? // 5: summer something?, but not much else (I guess 1 could be about spring? :thinking: )

8 Likes

2 浮雲 maybe? Floating cloud
3 I kinda wanna say 中我 but I don’t know if that makes much sense

1 Like

3 = 中秋
4 = 冬至
5 = 夏至

6 looks rather like 干的好 to me, which from my research might be “good job” in Chinese, suggesting that they’re all in Chinese.

5 Likes

And substitute my own!

Thank you! Even in Chinese, they’re beautiful! ^>^

1 Like

Makes me think one of them must be ‘spring equinox’.

It looks like 1 starts with 春 but I’m not sure what the second one is - looks almost like 目 and 卒 combined which doesn’t make any sense…

1 Like

I’d almost posit that the first character is 香.

睟 exists in both Chinese and Japanese, but it appears to be obscenely rare - it’s not even in my old Chinese dictionary. I’m not completely convinced that the left radical is 目, though - there seem to be too many strokes.

1 Like