Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

@RoseEater Idk if I particularly found the levels themselves difficult, as they kind of felt same-y, apart from the vast amount of vocab readings that are different from the kanji readings; I think it’s just that I’m not really focusing like I should be. But perhaps they are also more difficult too and that’s also a factor.

@truandissimo Yeah, I’mma be chilling on this level for a little. Gonna do all the vocab lessons and sit on it for a bit. Think it’ll be better for the way my brain works. Don’t necessarily have an exact goal in terms of apprentice/guru, but I’ll be able to feel it out. I’m definitely gonna keep up with reviews at minimum. I refuse to let those pile up, even if I fail all of them. Lol.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums and to the climb!

Stairs, definitely. No shortcuts here.

Congrats on your level-up!

Halfway to the top! Sounds like a good idea to take a break and let everything sink in for a while.

Yay indeed! Congrats on your level-up! And thanks for the cute picture. Is that your cat?

6 Likes

It’s more like my alter ego. :wink: (I do want one someday! <3 )

3 Likes

Glad to see you posting. I have been worried that I havent seen you for awhile. Makes sense that 19 is hard. I mean no one wants to die and enter Death, afterall =D Good luck and keep fighting.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m still here and hope to level up soon. Life happened and I had to slow down. Not giving up though!

3 Likes

20 levels, 200 days

promoted to next group :heart_eyes_cat:
so satisfying :star_struck:
so wow :dog2:

stats level 20

See you around @username21 さん at our promotion day, I’ll have some drinks and treats :grin:

10 Likes

Level 9!

My plan for this level:
Level 9 is 37 Kanji and 120 Vocab. 157/7 = 23 Lessons per day. (I don’t count radicals in my lesson counts because they’re less work to memorize)

23 Lessons a day seems super manageable. I started doing some math about how many reviews/day I will have when everything starts, and I still think I can maintain this pace for now (despite seeing some scary numbers). I am definitely open to slowing down, but for now I think it’s easier for me to manage when I know that I level up on Friday night and unlock 2nd half Kanji on Tuesday morning every week.

Picked up Genki 1 and have started working through that as well as 10分で読める伝記 2年生. I’m currently spending an hour - two hours per night working in those books. Only bad thing is I have to wait until my wife and 2 year-old are asleep to get quality study time!

10 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Level 20 get! :cherry_blossom:

Time to promote into the next group! :fist:

Last few weeks were pretty tough with catching up my backlog and I still can’t brag with 0/0 snap… Well, at least now I got there a bit closer, down from 200 lessons:

What I’m actually proud of is being able to develop proper schedule for myself to make about 50 lessons daily in a quite steady basis:
some time ago this seemed rather challenging for me, though.

So with this regard, I’d like to ask other rushers of 7-8days/lvl speed, what is their average daily lesson performance? And maybe some tricks they made for themselves to achieve it? Personally, it took some adjustments for myself in my studying routine, so now I totally curious about other’s experience. (of course, I’d be happy to share my own if somebody would actually care)

…of course, first of all I’d like to hear your remarks, dear sir @koro-san :sunglasses: Lv20 at day 200 do actually look neat, well done!
Oh boy, to think about it: we’ve done 1/3 way already, feels amazing! :rocket:
Next promotion should be quite notable as well, I guess?

9 Likes

http://gph.is/2crRcOt
Level 27!
Finally surpassed the cursed level 26 (The level where I reset to 1)
My vocab review accuracy has dropped significantly, I guess that’s because I’m encountering completely new words.
I want to attempt a streak of 6 days and 20~ hours, hopefully I won’t die :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yeay! And it seems like you leveled up faster now!

For me it’s quite stable on 40 lessons/day. I only take radical & kanji on level up day (for now around 30-ish), only take kanji (part 2) after guru-ing radical. The rest of the week with 40 vocab/day, I can always get Friday lesson free which is super nice :grin:

daily

Can’t wait next promotion! after death

5 Likes

Made it to lvl 40 (studying…), fastest I’ve levelled up in a long time. Probably going to slow down a bit now as I need to focus on hammering my preparation for the JLPT in December. I’m doing N3 so I think I’m good in terms of Kanji, lol. My grammar sucks though so it’s time to smash bunpro more!

8 Likes

Thank you for noticing! Yes, and I’m turbo-proud about it. Last few weeks somehow I managed to properly do night reviews just in time. I mean, oh god, imagine my body internal alarm working by itself and wake me up just exactly in time for review? Well, guess I can say my body approves my studies and looking for more Japanese.
So overall amount of saved hours are enough now for another convenient schedule frame of about -12h compared to previous one. Not sure if I would push it further, but somehow yeah, now I should promote even closer to your time. Also now I’m promoting Sat morning, thus having entire day to deal with new kanjis!

Oh god, your stat look ultra-steady. Hope one day I could make my look the same.

So… See you on the other side, huh? :sunglasses: Just in time, considering upcoming Halloween, I guess.

5 Likes

I’m still in the somewhat early levels (I haven’t burned anything yet) and doing between 10-25 lessons a day. My “secret” is that I started WK having already studied Japanese for 20 years. Kanji was always my weak point so my goal with WK is to really solidify what I know, fill in the gaps, and cover all the Joyo and JLPT kanji in a systematic fashion with SRS. I already know 95% of the vocabulary so far so my review accuracy is usually 95-100%. When I get to the high levels I expect my accuracy will drop and I will likely slow down.

6 Likes

Oh hi, will take JLPT this December here too! …N4 though. Should’ve been taken it in summer, but with all these lockdowns they moved it to Dec :eyes: So by now I feel myself over-prepared.

Wait, this stuff looks very cool and exactly what I was missing for my studies. Never heard about it though. Is it good? Looks totally like a grammar-sibling of WaniKani, but I failed to find any Tofugu references there.

(sorry if this stuff is quite famous, just say it. Unfortunately, I didn’t research properly modern grammar resources beyond my basic textbook yet)

4 Likes

From that rythm you have some days without any lessons, right?
How is it going for you? I found myself more comfortable with spreading the lessons to about the same number (not always possible).

I too worked only kanji and then vocab, but since level 21 I mix kanji and vocab, and spread the initial difficulty on two or three days. I found the kanji of level 21 and 22 much harder than all the precedent level, but it may be because I have a stressfull schedule at work these past days.

I’d like to have your feedback on that the next 3 weeks if you’re inclined to. :wink:

3 Likes

I try and do all my lessons at once or just when I get the time. I don’t set a lower or upper limit on how many to do a day, and totally disregard how many reviews it will add to the queue.

Sometimes I even do a massive chunk just before I level up and then do the new ones from the next level.

Hope that helps!

5 Likes

Been inactive on Wanikani lately but I’m (hopefully) back! Just got level 23 today so I’m stoked… But then there’s also sooooo much uni work :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not that much, apparently:

Until level 21 it was about 20 to 25 lessons a day, since 21 it is more around 15-20

2 Likes

Burned my first items just now! :fire:

12 Likes

Thank you for your answer!
Dealing with massive chunk of lessons is my biggest issue. Guess, you don’t have any stat-userscripts installed, but how do you think what amount of lessons you can take per hour, roughly? I’m taking them very thoroughly and barely able to sustain 12 lessons/h. Mind share your routine a bit more detailed in case you doing it faster?

4 Likes