Let's climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in spring 2022

Definitely! Absolutely agreed! I would say Japanese is fairly hard as a language. Kind of one of the reasons I’m studying it over, let’s say German or French, but it’s far from an easy journey.

There is this scene from Bojack about doing that one thing a bit everyday, because while hard, it gets easier the more one does it :slight_smile: .I think it’s also one of the things Arnold Schwarzenegger said in one of his over-the-top pep talk style presentations. I’m honestly impressed his body managed to keep up with that pace, because it was inhuman :sweat_smile: . To elaborate, he was studying, going to the gym and on top of that doing acting classes late in the evening. Everyday. T.T

11 Likes

i have read posts by speedrunners who said that when they got to the fast levels they were doing 6 hours a day on WK. so that is not necessarily an exageration.

i wouldn’t make any generalisations about the age of speedrunners. i was doing about 8 days per level before my time-out, and i’m closer to 50 than 40. but all speedrunners have plenty of time to commit to WK - i was doing up to 2-3 hours daily (and neglecting other aspects of study). many speedrunners say that they neglected other aspects too.

7 Likes

Capture
This is the first time in 24 days I’ve been under 100 lessons. School has completely taken over my life, and since I’ve been transitioning into life in a new school, it’s been difficult to do lessons (and even reviews sometimes.) I did make an attempt to do my lessons, but then school distracted me as my workload suddenly got very heavy. Now that I’m finally starting to cope and get my stuff together, I thought it was safe to resume the lessons that I’ve been neglecting for so long. I’ve done 20 so far today, and I’ll do another 10 later. Tomorrow, I’ll be doing the last 23 lessons I’ll have from level 17 and the various content updates over my hiatus. Then, throughout the week I’ll be getting my apprentice back down (I’ll have over 100 apprentice by the end of Sunday) and then on the weekend I’ll start my level 18 lessons. Thanks to my Japanese class, I’m also being forced to study grammar, so here’s to quick improvement! :muscle: :clinking_glasses:

13 Likes

Level Up!

I’m 32 now. Just came hear to celebrate.

13 Likes

I totally understand. I learned levels 1-20 pretty quickly, because I actually used the kanji pretty often, but level 20-30 was much harder and they didn’t stick well, and I rarely come across them while reading. That’s why I don’t care about leveling quickly anymore. Yes, I could rush to 60, but I would be overwhelmed, hate kanji, I wouldn’t remember anything, and I wouldn’t even be that much better at Japanese. A fun anecdote though, I was reading something that was supposed to confuse our class on purpose and I actually had a pretty good idea what was going on thank to WaniKani.

So… slow and steady is better than nothing, and I’d argue it’s better than rushing to. Good luck to us both.

9 Likes

If you have a hard time to remember kanji try to write them by hand. It is much easier to remember kanji that way.

As for me I never spend more than 3 or 4 hours on wankani usually around 2.

Indeed when I was trying to reach level 60 on wanikani I was too tired to even finish the Genki books. Therefore I stopped working through them while doing wanikani. Once I reached level 60 I got back to the genki books and finished them.

I don’t want to scare anybody here, but what comes after wanikani is even worse. The intermediate level is really hell.

10 Likes

Can absolutely agree. WaniKani is just the beginning :smiley: .

9 Likes

on a different note, a quick checkin with my review pile. it’s down to under 700, with accuracy consistently at around 80%. on saturday i reached the burn pile, it had grown to just over 800 items ready to burn. i’ve since burned 99 of them (and failed a few).

all in all it feels like i’m on the last stretch of this long recovery period, and i might be done with this by the end of september.

9 Likes

The thing is, I actually studied Japanese for 1.5 years before I started with Wanikani. I finished Genki by then and I also was in a parallel course in university. But I found out that I suck at Kanji and that without a structured approach like Wanikani, I won’t learn it well.
I also only had time to study Japanese once a day after work and since Wanikani’s SRS is build how it is… when you have finished your reviews and did the lessons, it will pile up during the day and you have each day 200 or so at the same time to go through.
So for me, pausing all the other things just to finish Wanikani would not have been an option either - considering that I magically won’t get any more time during the day :smiley: I think the only possibility for me to go faster would’ve been to do the reviews during the day but that’s simply impossible with work and university. Especially during the times when I am working full-time

Since I am going through Tobira atm and I am half-way through, I actually understand already quite a lot but what also sucks that there are also some I don’t know so I also have some parallel Kanji SRS for these specific Kanji. I am glad when I finish Wanikani one day so I don’t need to have these 2 Kanji SRS (Anki & Wanikani) running at the same time.
I also can’t wait another 2 years to finish Wanikani just to continue with the usual studies, so… I hope I pull it through

11 Likes

@esutasan if you were interested, this thread in particular is really cool.

I printed off the entire set in the office, don’t tell my boss.

10 Likes

I’m gonna have to report you, now… please leave your bosses name and contact information, so that I can do that.

7 Likes

Up to level 51 after 13 days. Things are getting real :slight_smile:
Also got to 4000 burns recently.

12 Likes

I just made it to level 7! Still on the very first floors of the Tokyo Skytree, but it’s exciting to see. Now onto my 102 lessons…

9 Likes

Am I still alive?
I think so.
I’m finally able to continue. Please… no more lockdown. Mommy needs her wanikani levels.

10 Likes

I took a break for a month and a half because of moving, and when I came back had about 2000 reviews lmao. I finally got them down to 0 for the first time today and I’ll probably spend the next week or two just getting my apprentice down from 300 to something not awful before continuing on up. I really want to finish WK this year if possible hm hm…

10 Likes

OK, ok, fine. I guess I have no choice.

His name is Michael Gary Scott and we work at Dunder Mifflin Scranton, 1725 Slough Avenue, Suite 200 in the Scranton Business Park (Pennsylvania).

7 Likes

Just started on level 17, apparently it’s been exactly 1 month and exactly 100 review sessions (from 659 to 759) since I last posted in this thread :laughing: Honestly my head feels like a mess when I’m doing lessons and reviews these days, but I still do alright. I might slow down a bit if it keeps up though. Today also marks 100 days straight of wanikani, I never really thought myself capable of keeping up with something for this long, so it’s a great feeling :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

I totally relate to this feeling. Officially last month I have been doing again WaniKani for more than a year. This is my second (or third) time doing WaniKani, and this time I’ve got all the way to 32. 9 was my previous record. I actually had to check my level, because I am really not paying attention to my level up days anymore. I am just doing 15 items a day, usually like 5 radicals/kanji and 10 vocab.

When I started I was trying to 7 day levels but this was not reasonable past level 10. I actually ending up repeating level 10-20, and 20-28, twice because they didn’t stick. If I had done 15 items a day from the beginning, I think I would actually be a little farther than I am now… But repeating the levels was useful, all reviews are useful. I hope I don’t need to back up a bunch of levels again, but if it helps me retain, so be it…

Basically, just, Ive been there and slow down if you need to, to feel like you are retaining and not swimming. You might find you go fasting going slow than pushing to go fast.

10 Likes

:fire: Time to burrrrrrrn! :fire:

11 Likes

Here we go, 1.5 hours later~

81 burned out of 108, makes it 75% recollection after 4 months. Sounds nice!

12 Likes