Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

Congrats to @csiga9 for reaching level 60!!!
Almost 50 levels in 9 months is damn impressive!

14 Likes

“weeks” lmao. Those last 400 were brutal since they basically completely unlearned.

But I finally finished!!

Start

Finish

At my favored pace of two weeks per level I should be able to make it to level 48, so I’m going to reset my goal to 45.

11 Likes

after taking a 53 day break… im back!

17 Likes

Levelled up to level 42 (the coolest level) this morning!

So a lot happened since I last posted around a month ago. I moved out of my parent’s home to live on my own around a month ago and things have been very hectic recently. It’s also been busy at work and I made the VERY BRIGHT decision to not take any days off while moving.

Alongside that I also had to find some time to prepare for the final exam of the Japanese language course I’ve been following. If I pass (and I most likely will) I’ll officially be halfway N5…

It’s somehow really discouraging to learn for something you know you automatically qualify for at that point.

The biggest effect is that I’ve basically dropped Kaniwani at this point thanks to an overwhelming amount of reviews that I’ve allowed to accumulate and have been focussing solely on Wanikani. One of the downsides of full-speed Wanikani is how much time and mental effort it takes to keep up, so for me there’s just not enough room to fit in stuff like reading or grammar studies, especially when real world stuff happens to distract me.

Now that I’ve reached level 42, the fast levels are very near now. I SHOULD be able to handle them, but I’m honestly scared of the workload of levels 47-50.

The bright side is that the end is swiftly approaching if I keep up this pace. I should reach lvl 60 in the beginning of september (a bit under a year on WK!). The absence of new items (and vastly reduced Guru level stuff) should free up my schedule quite a bit.

I’ve also had some time to think about my goals for my Japanese studies and what to focus on, and I’ve realised that my current main goal is specifically to play games in Japanese. After WK, I’m mostly going to focus on reading and grammar. Listening skills will be mostly secondary for when characters are voiced, but for now I’m not going to bother with my speaking skills. This may yet change in the future, though!

I’m excited, honestly. The end of WK is looming on the horizon for me (just a bit over two months left!!), and I can’t wait to see what will come afterwards!

16 Likes

45!!!

Oh my god I’m so thankful this is a slow level, I’m so tired. FAST LEVELS FAST.

WK has taken over my Japanese study time this week and I really need to focus on other things so I think I’ll stick at this pace for another two weeks and then slow down when I move.

13 Likes

@KyokaJiro how level 40 with you.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Don’t force yourself on a fast pace. :wink:

6 Likes

It is going well so far :slightly_smiling_face:

If all goes well, I should be done in another 3 days.

What about you Kuuru san?

5 Likes

Good to hear

Congratulation into making it out of 地獄 in advance.

Haven’t even finished half the kanji yet :sweat_smile:
Week and couple extra days is my guess

3 Likes

We shouldn’t celebrate until we are actually out :stuck_out_tongue:

Needless to say, L39 was my longest :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Oops, almost forgot to mention I got to level 16 last night! I decided to do vocab first before radicals and kanji and it greatly paid off during level 15. I only have about 30 lessons from level 15 to do! I’m expecting more tomorrow, though, from the kanji I haven’t guru’d yet.

11 Likes

Level 33! 14 days this time, so hopefully falling back into my regular rhythm for a few levels. :sparkles:

I’ve been prioritising listening recently over reading. It’s a little frustrating struggling to comprehend things spoken aloud that I’d have little to no issue reading, but it’s been a nice change being able to listen to a podcast whilst walking to work or cleaning etc. I’m hoping in the next year that I might have the confidence to tackle a children’s audiobook!

12 Likes

Hi guys, I haven’t really been active in this Tokyo Skytree thread but I just reached level 60. I was one of the first people who answered in this thread and back then I had no idea how big this would become. So yeah, hang in there people and let’s meet at the top of the Skytree! I’m glad that this thread has helped so many people stay on track :+1:

this is me, still pretty early on in my WaniKani journey lol

21 Likes

おめでとうございます!

Do you remember what level you were when you first posted in this thread?

7 Likes

Thanks, I was level 15 if I see it correctly in my heatmap script

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Level 60 get! :cherry_blossom:

Oh boy, wait. Does this possibly mean a :cake: cake day!? :cake:

Man, so unusual to see gold plaque on my pfp. Also so unusual to have no pressure for next level coming! I’m still have lots of lessons to do though, but now they would only go down and never get any new ones.
Not to mention JLPT is still upcoming this sunday, so there IS actually the pressure and it didn’t gone anywhere! Do despite lots of thoughts I’d like to share this day, I still have to push myself towards my studies. Wish one day I could express properly everything I feel!

Until then, let me just thanks everyone participating this thread for a great support provided! This thread was actually the driving reason for my consistent studies. Schedule and systematic approach is the core on such a long way and here was the great place to work together and share own achievements and see others making their efforts as well!
Will wait everybody else ITT to see on the peak as well! @koro-san especially you, dear sir!

And today let me just share with you my actual cake I had with my family this morning:

(come to think of it, it’s quite intriguing to see such a digit, huh? It would take a while for me to see it again on a cake next time)

22 Likes

I see you have a big day as well? Congratulations! This view from the top is amazing, isn’t it?

Remember this thread was quite small as well back then. Totally didn’t think it would grow this much.

7 Likes

Well, WK is still adding lessons each week until the 8th, so you may see it go up slightly. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Ah, I knew someone would mention that!
Come on, you know these new additions are too minor compared to +150 lessons every level.
Not to mention, I’d rather be happy if Tofugu would extend WK up to N1 curriculum… and even further… I grew quite addicted to this purple/violet site, you know, uh.

(what a feeling to catch up the level of the first Great Senpais~ @RoseEater notice me too! You guys with @MegaZeroX were turbo inspiring and made me know such a pace is possible)

10 Likes

Sharing the post below, because I was always curious on what level of proficiency we unlock at different WK levels :slight_smile:

After 21 days I made it to level 38. I was averaging about 8 days per level before this. But, overall it felt right. This is the first level that I am seeing diminishing return on learning new Kanji, when reading easy manga I usually see between 0 - 2 new kanji per chapter (e.g: Teasing Master Takagi-san or Dragon Ball SD), when reading the intermediate books, I usually didn’t know several kanjis on each page now sometimes I can go a couple of pages until I have to look a kanji up. There are still quite a few common kanji ahead that I haven’t learned, but overall I think around this level is where I am finding things to feel more “normal”.

I want to continue learning steady, but I don’t feel the pressure to go as fast as I can. My retention had gone down a bit and WK was taking time from other things, like reading. I think by taking longer on this level, I got to have a relaxing vacation and also had more time to work on long-term retention.

14 Likes