Let's climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in spring 2022

Just levelled up :muscle: this time with only 30 or so lessons instead of 100 lol, should be able to get through all them and the radicals today if I do 10 lessons every hour :smiley: not sure if I will do the radicals though because I have a lot of apprentice and I would like to get that down to 100 before starting the next level… I don’t like waking up and having to do over 70 reviews like I just did -_-

14 Likes

So i have been here longer. truly didn’t expect that :rofl: (though only 2 months difference) it feels like you always was there…

9 Likes

@KyokaJiro congrats for the level up :star_struck:.
Will try to catch up to you
Without overwhelming myself this time

10 Likes

Amazing work, great to see you are participating in book clubs. I can’t wait to hear how this shapes your journey :eyes: :muscle:

I know you will anyway, but, keep us updated!

:eyes:

10 Likes

Arigatou Kuuru san :slight_smile:

Slow and steady has always been the mantra :grin:

7 Likes

Starting to read has been by far the biggest step up in this journey.

i’d tried reading before, with graded readers and よつばと. but it was a combination between frustratingly difficult and boring. then around my level 10 or so IntrepidFox suggested a book-club for Bloom into You/やがて君になる, which i’d loved as an anime. so i set up an account on amazon.co.jp. managed to find my way through the site in japanese far enough to switch the interface to english (a milestone of its own back then). and got the kindle version (might need to get a kindle someday so i don’t have to read on the laptop).

they say to read stuff which is a little above your level. やが君 was way above my level when i started. but i wanted to read it. so i persevered. i had to look up so much stuff! but there were jokes, and drama, and tension, and a kiss! and i wanted more.

after the first volume we decided to wait until the beginning of may to continue with やが君, but i wanted to continue reading. so i grabbed a different manga (あさがおと加瀬さん/Morning Glory and Kase-san). that had had a short animated movie which i’d really enjoyed, so i was happy to read more of that. and i’ve just finished the second volume of that :smiley:

it’s still excruciatingly slow. it took me about 2 hours to read 40 pages last sunday. but i get deeply immersed. i’ll be like, okay, i need to do reviews in 45 minutes, i can read a bit. next time i think of something other than reading 3 hours have passed and my reviews are piling up :wink:

what’s mostly slowing me down is looking up kanji i don’t know. i’ve definitely gotten faster since i started, both at looking up kanji, and because i’ve advanced a few levels on WK. i’ve also gotten better at recognising them outside of the WK context, and in a variety of fonts. it’s also showing me where i need to work on grammar (verb forms!). and it’s given me a new understanding of why i’m putting in all this work to learn this language: i want to be able to pick up any book at a bookstore and read it.

the bookclub for やが君 has started up again, and i got the whole series when it was on sale on amazon. so plenty to read there. and there’s a bookclub suggested for 囀る鳥は羽ばたかない, which looks like it might match my tastes, so i’ll try to read along there.

tldr: reading! it’s awesome! grab a book! have fun! get better at japanese :smiley:

11 Likes

I had to reset after being away for a few months, but I’m basically back to level 3 after a little less than a month. Really a testament to how effective the SRS is that I was able to bounce back.

I’m definitely going to recommit to my goal of getting through a level every 7-10 days. Wish me luck!

13 Likes

Just hit 14 for the second time ^-^

19 Likes

Leveled up to 37 after 20 days and 1 hour. This was my longest level up in a while .

what hold me back in my opinion

I got headache for couple days. Got demotivated. And got overwhelmed by review, spicy combo isn’t it?

I am pretty ok now. I feel much better and got all my reviews down. I am ready :smile:

14 Likes

About this challenge, do you need to plan on hitting level 60 by next spring to be in this thread (I don’t think it is possible for me to hit it at my current rate)?

11 Likes

No, if you look through the leaderboard you will see that some folks have chosen other goals, such as the second or first observation deck. So just do the maths and calculate a challenging-but-attainable goal and join up. Welcome to the climb! :tokyo_tower:🧗‍♂

13 Likes

I just reached level 10, and got my first burns! Feels good. I was worried about the burns coming up, thinking “what if I don’t get them all right”?
Turns out I didn’t, and it wasn’t the end of the world. I got most of them :smiley:

14 Likes

Okay, I guess I will set my target level at 50, then (I am aiming for 8 days/level with the possibility of some breaks in there).

I also added myself to the wiki in the OP.

12 Likes

Finally level 50, but those N1 Kanji which have odd English meanings that I almost never hear of (chafe, hemp, crevice and mulberry) absolutely trip me up. In addition to going through the level 40s Kanji before going to bed, I also created an Anki Deck specifically for the aforementioned Kanji.

Comes at a detriment though- I’m quickly forgetting the meaning of most Level 30s Kanji. Will have to work on that

15 Likes

Silkworms feed on mulberry tree leaves, if that helps fix that word in your mind at all (I happen to have 2 mulberry trees in my garden :deciduous_tree:)

7 Likes

Isn’t there a nursery rhyme about mulberry trees?

5 Likes

Yes, in the nursery rhyme pop goes the weasel, they get chased round the mulberry bush

7 Likes

There’s also here we go 'round the mulberry bush

7 Likes

Made it 51 and finally left Paradise and risen (fallen?) into the Reality levels.

Honestly surprised I’ve managed to keep up this last streak (since early February) going at a fairly fast pace. Its felt like any day now burnout is gonna kick in and I’m gonna take another year break but it hasn’t happened yet.

I really do think that it largely comes down to me joining this thread (as well as the 0/0 challenge thread). Ever since I started keeping up with it, I’ve noticed my competitive side has been kicking in every time I start feeling lazy as I don’t wanna end up getting left in the dust by the others around my level. Now if only I could find something similar for drawing/exercising. . .

In any case, onwards to 60 and the final levels!

18 Likes

I went up a level at some point over the Golden Week holiday and… didn’t do much at any great speed lmao, but I’m back at it again. Ever since I stopped trying to go max speed I’ve had a much better time with WK and honestly having a pace that’s like 9-10 days per level has helped with retention. I might go fast again once I move away from Japan and don’t have constant immersion tiring me out…

15 Likes