Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

I’ll quote Yomiko Readman: Keep it up! Up up up!

3 Likes

Thank you! I don’t know how I missed this considering I did it before lol.

4 Likes

Too many settings! Between the dashboard and discourse. It took me a while before figuring this out. :wink:

3 Likes

This is a really important point.

Later down the line if you come across visually similar kanji and haven’t really got the radicals locked in your brain, there can be serious issues differentiating later down the line when you get to Master and (mainly) Enlightened stage.

I’m still suffering with a few of them - hoping to iron that all out when I start reading my first book next week.

Don’t do what I did and nip them in the bud, guys.

9 Likes

What did I miss? :frowning:

3 Likes

Now that I am nearly done I am getting super lazy. It seems I can’t do 30 lessons every day any more.

I have decided to go on spring break for two weeks once I am level 60. For two weeks I will do whatever I want to do. If I want to play videogames the whole day I will just do it, if I want to read manga in japanese I will do it, if I want to watch stupid youtube videos I will do it. Lol I may even decide to learn japanese during my break.

16 Likes

Neat idea, go for it!

4 Likes

Now I’ve reached the point where every lesson has been gurued at some point (though some have fell back to apprentice).

10 Likes

Exactly what I have done, and plan to do, until the 1st of March.

I made my schedule a few days ago (ignore the dates!) I plan to do this for the remainder of this year and see where I’m at in December.

Where it says “Mark” it’s because the yellow ones are shared with my wife’s calendar, so she can tell quickly it’s not one of hers!

Also, no Sunday because that is the day where there are no plans.

The second iTalki session will take place immediately after my 書道/shodō lesson, which will hopefully warm up the Japanese brain on a Saturday afternoon. Although, when it gets to summer time, I’ll be able to do later shodō lessons and might even see @Saida 先輩 at one of those sessions finally :slight_smile:

To clarify some of those items:

• 読みと文法 - reading and grammar
  • 聴聞・ネットフリクス - listening via Netflix (I’m going to choose episodes of Terrace House to start with)
  • Stephen Kraft conjugations - using this website to drill whatever conjugations I’m having trouble with on any given week
  • T1/T2 - teacher 1 and teacher 2

So if you see me posting in here and it is not during those free pockets of time, I’m counting on you, my Tokyo Tower comrades, to give me a scolding.

14 Likes

That’s a great collection Kuuru san.

Not a spoiler for me :wink: I am up to date in Manga.

:slight_smile:

I didn’t receive a request on my profile. I checked just now. Did the profile have a Hinata thumbs up picture (from Haikyuu)?

4 Likes

Congrats Amagi san :slight_smile:

tenor (10)

I do take it slow but still stumble a lot of some of the similar kanji :stuck_out_tongue: . That one stroke or shape is really hard to see (I do reviews on Mobile).

All yours. Go wild Shin san.

5 Likes

Level 23! Woot woot! 157 lessons to go, though :sob:

11 Likes

別に😗

2 Likes

Didn’t find it. Search for me instead same ID as here

1 Like

I have reached level 30. This is pleasing to me.

11 Likes

I might sometimes join the afternoon class, too, except I’m on a bit of a break. Send my regards to the group!

Are you really doing an hour and a half of drilling, or do you have dinner or something during that time as well? It might be more useful to drill conjugations for a short time each day, instead of once a week.

4 Likes

Last time I joined something similar, covid came along and messed up my study routine.
Now it seems I can finally get back on track, but the old thread and deadline has come and gone, while I still sit at 24.

Today I leveled up to 25, after 120 days of 24. I’m back on track and ready to hit 60. Perhaps I should join in, despite my previous ‘failures’.

I plan to hit 40 in December, though that’s going to be tough. I’ll still try though. I want to do the N2 then and I could use the kanji knowledge.

Anyway, let’s do this!

13 Likes

Will do! Won’t be until summer though, so maybe you’ll be back by then :eyes: Unless you know the morning crew also?

When this corona-nightmare ends I’m going to take a weekend trip to Amsterdam to have a physical lesson (and finally eat some of Shinji-sensei’s food :slight_smile: )

Yep! I will have dinner in the “Netflix” segment because then I can eat-n-watch.

The reason I booked a big chunk for conjugation drills is because I understand my brain. Doing long drills like this helps things to stick. I’ll see how I get on over time, if it turns out I think it’ll be better to do a little each day I’ll switch it up.

I see the schedule as a living, breathing thing, so appreciate the suggestion (and other suggestions!)

I feel you on this. Also, when you see a kanji for the first time in a different font!

6 Likes

:astonished:
this is good, well noted

6 Likes

I added a ‘resources’ section to my level 60 post later down the line, feel guilty I didn’t have that post properly planned out from the start :disappointed:

9 Likes