Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

For some reason, you seem very close to the ground! lol :eye::nose::eye: But a lovely view for sure! :+1: ^>^

4 Likes

Oh, that did fix it! That’s really good to know! Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

Level 10!!!

My Plan for Level 10:
7 day Level
Unlocked: 15 Radicals, 22 Kanji, 23 (current level) Vocab, and 50 Previous Level Vocab

Radicals are all done today.
I want to split the kanji and vocab into the first 4 days. 22+23+50= 95/4= 23.75 items a day. That should leave 15 Kanji and roughly 50 more vocab for the second half of the level. 65/3 = 21.67.

I’m going to try @Joeni’s method of splitting the kanji into the first three days and trying to do the previous level vocab first.

Schedule should be:

• Friday = 6 kanji, 18 Previous level Kanji
  • Saturday = 6 kanji, 18 Previous Level Kanji
  • Sunday = 5 kanji, 14 Previous Level Kanji, 5 Current Level Kanji
  • Monday = 5 kanji, 18 Current Level Kanji
  • Tuesday = 15 kanji, 7~ish Current Level Kanji
  • Wednesday = 22~ish Current Level Kanji
  • Thursday = 22~ish Current Level Kanji

Does anyone have a list of how many kanji and vocab are unlocked at the first and second part of the level? I know there’s one for vocab at level up, but a master list would be nice to help plan this out more.

6 Likes

Level 28!

The streak goes on…

9 Likes

21!
After bearing too much pain, now it’s death time :skull_and_crossbones:

Together @username21 さん ?

12 Likes

Definitely!

Got lv21 today as well. This week was special for me, since I finally hit the 0/0 mark:

after 3 weeks down from 200 lessons pile on lv16! :muscle:
Finally I may consider taking some supplimentary studies besides WK

11 Likes

おめでとうございます!
200つは大変ですよね。

If I’m not mistaken, you’re taking N4 JLPT this year right? What books/resources did you learn to prepare N4? Grammar and listening especially.

I’m still crippling through half of N5 for grammar, for listening I think still far behind that :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Level 25! :partying_face:
(I thought I wouldn’t level up until tomorrow so me ビックリした )

Seeing some of you leveling up really fast

Meanwhile me

11 Likes

その通りです。一生終わらない気がしました!

Precusely, N4 this December if everything will go as scheduled this time.
Well, basically JP grammar doesn’t feel a big deal to explain, so any beginner textbook should go. Though the real struggle is to get used to it’s screwed word order which is totally upside-down compared to the most of Western languages. Well, nothing can help here but plactice, I guess.

Back in the day I just googled a bit and paid a visit to my local IRL international library, JP section and checked out textbooks they have there. So I’d suggest the same for you - IRL libraries are still a thing! You can check out if these guys are somewhere around you: The Japan Foundation - About Us - it was their facility in library I went to.

Being non English native, I used my local language textbook so doubt if it would help much. But many people suggest Genki, Try! and Dekiru Nihongo ones. I want to go check them myself as well… well, when all this lockdown stuff get off hopefully before I get N1 uh.

Then I’d personally suggest to get this book

It’s not textbook, but rather reference for different language patterns. Personally, I don’t feel it much being an actual grammar with any solid theory around, but rather small disordered details JP consist of and you have nothing else but to rote learn them.

Regarding listening… Well, guess it’s rather difficult to suggest something. I watch different JP media from the very childhood with original sound, so Japanese speech is pretty natural for me. It’s syllable-based as well, so personally it’s much more easy to get it compared to English.
My current approach is watching yt videos related to my future job. Anyways I have to catch up the language gap of college/uni education, right? I mean, correct wording/terminology. I know this everything in my native and English languages, but I have to figure out downright terms for this all in JP by time I get job there. And WK won’t help me here, so…
Fortunately, I’m going to be just mere regular plain programmer guy, so yt provides abundance of material for all the IT stuff you may want.
For an instance, I could suggest this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGlgXjYVoHLD86TQQ799WIw - his vids look nice and clean, easy to watch. Auto subtitles get things wrong sometimes, but mostly bring correct writing to get new words.

…well, most of the foregoing stuff is rather methods and approaches, right? :eyes: Sorry for bringing not much sources along, I’m just beginner as well, after all. Would appreciate as well if somebody around bring more ideas!

My personal stuggle I anticipate most is the speaking though. Reading and listening both possible to practice and master even living alone in the middle of a desert, until you have textbooks and internet. Still, speaking back outside of native environment is rather confusing. First of all, due to lacking of feedback, you don’t know if people around get you, let alone if you put it any correct way at all.

So in my turn, I’d appreciate if anybody could bring some clues/resources for speaking practice. :pray: Or share their own experience/ideas for practicing it in future.

6 Likes

Good luck for the test! Wish you pass and get best result :pray:

なるほど~ I’m interested to get some reference book to supplement the textbook. Sometimes I need more explanation, use case, and more detail while I stumbled on any grammar point. I’ll look into it!

I see, I’ve never thought about that. I think it’s a good approach!
Start immersing yourself into something you’re familiar with sounds good. In this case programming, in which I’m also a programmer haha. I’ll look into the channel, thanks for the recommendation!

Thank you for the answer, it’s useful and applicable for me :blush: :pray:

4 Likes

LVL 23 just now! :raised_hands: Time to do my new lessons instead of the work I should be doing :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Congrats on making lv 25! :partying_face: Regardless of pacing, you’re moving on and that’s what matters. Everyone’s life is different when it comes to fitting WK into it. 頑張って!

8 Likes

Oh God, guys I’m here just to tell you lv21 is amazing! :sunglasses: Vocab start getting only 1 examle sentence is such a relief. Back then it took real effort to push each vocab lesson in 5min for me, and now I make each in less than 2mins, so turbo-happy! :cherry_blossom: :smiley: :cherry_blossom:

(I have a bad habit to dig into each example and pick up interesting patterns/words not presented in WK. Everything nice and cool, but it took extreme time, couldn’t fight it till the very end, but finally I’m free of this curse)

8 Likes

I tried to keep up, but I did in fact totally give up getting through new material on Wanikani right after I posted this in July… I was finally let off the hook and resumed normal life about two weeks ago, and for the first time in a very long time I am at 0 reviews and 0 lessons, and I feel like new things are sticking again. Very satisfying feeling.

I will join this since I’ll never finish luminaries if I go at a normal pace now.

5 Likes

I know the feeling, i’ve now been on lvl 52 for 50 days and now i’m finally again at 0/0 without having any pressure to achieve it, just happened naturally.

8 Likes

Nice! Keep it up!

On the bright side, along with the negatives, I have experienced some positive aspects of taking an extended break–for example, I kept doing reviews, so I spent four months doing the major bulk of my burned reviews while not adding new things to guru each week. That helped cut down on the feeling that I was running around with a stack of dishes in my arms and each level would add more and I wasn’t sure if I could retain them all.

4 Likes

Yeah, trying to keep up with 8-10 days cycle will catch you at 35-40 level finally and could be looking at doing 400 reviews daily when you start failing those burns and masters.

2 Likes

Level 52😉 little early for that😁

2 Likes

And on that note I can finally start going trough level 11 XD

10 Likes

Steady progress. Two weeks to hit level 6, now I’ve got seventy lessons to gradually get through.

And I was feeling so good about keeping the apprentice items under 100. :broken_heart:

9 Likes