Let us enter numbers

“Year 2011” is accepted for 2011年 (and is the main answer), even “2011” is accepted and “Year two thousand eleven” is not accepted. So the most annoying numbers to type are already accepted.

2 Likes

I think the difference is in what they’re testing - for 2011年, they want to make sure you understand that it means ‘the year x’, so it doesn’t really matter if you make a typo with the 2011.

I actually found the 2011 one really annoying, because I have it in my head that you can’t input numerals, so I always used to write it out (tedious) and then get it wrong. Boo.

2 Likes

Seriously, you’re making a mountain out of a molehill or making a storm out of a cup of water, like we say in Portuguese

It’s completely understandable not to accept numbers because you can give wrong answers and pass as correct…

A solution to fix this “problem” would be to send a warning (like when you write another reading for the kanji) saying “we do not accept numbers, write them in full.”

4 Likes

We say “a storm in a teacup” in the UK. Not sure if that’s an American thing too.

1 Like

I always dreamed about having the “First Flag” badge …

4 Likes

Nah. I think that is a solid UK thing.

Off the top of my head, I would say “you’re blowing things out of proportion” . My mom also says, “tempest in a teapot” but I hear less of that.

1 Like

“Storm in een glas water” in Dutch. Interesting that several different languages have nearly the same expression.

2 Likes

Letting us enter digits has the problem of counting wrong answers as right

But maybe… that is problem even with letter numbers :open_mouth:

So why not

8 Likes

I just google’d the Portuguese version and searched for something similar in English :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Haha, yes, I think it comes up as a problem with the days of the week and other words like that as well.

For what it’s worth, I like to use the Close But No Cigar script to make sure I get those right. It requires you to enter the correct answer before you’re allowed to continue.

I don’t know much about hacking so I haven’t injected any of the cheat codes

Huh. It never occurred to me before to wonder why we have both of those. I think for me ‘mountain/molehill’ has more of a connotation of blowing up a small problem to make it seem really huge, whereas ‘storm/teacup’ is more like getting angry over something small.

/threadderail

In the review section just enter :arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_down::arrow_down::arrow_left::arrow_right::arrow_left::arrow_right::b::a:

13 Likes

So I did get it right :star_struck:

Apparently, there’s a Japanese version too: コップの中の嵐

Seriously, I’m starting a conspiracy theory about how the Portuguese had a fetish with cups and then decided to give tea to the British and the word コップ to the Japanese.

Also a slightly different meaning but a nice idiom is “to choose a small hill to die on”, as in to expend a lot of effort or anger on something trivial.

Oooh. I also hear, "Is this the hill you want to die on?’

sorry I keep threadjacking

Oh, I’ve never actually heard that properly! I’ve heard people talking about hills to die on, but I never realised it was in reference to this idiom. edit: yes, same, gojarappe!

I associate it strongly with AskAManager and laughing at some of the absurd hills people choose to die on at work :grin:

ok people, back to the numbers!

From the topic I originally thought this thread was about everyone just writes a random number, like

163!

8 Likes

Might I suggest a similar alternative

1 Like