Let’s climb Tokyo Skytree - level 60 in autumn 2023

Observation Desk 1 at Level 35!! I’m so glad I made it to this milestone because it’s getting tough for me.

Vent and request for advice within

I’m at almost max speed, so my guru count usually runs high, but I told myself that if it ever reached 1000, I would have to completely stop all lessons until some undetermined number of guru… I’m worried I may be hitting that before level 40. I’ve been slowing down. I haven’t been zeroing out my reviews every night as I usually do. But I persevere because worshiping the Crabigator is worth it. It’s just becoming the hell that I am in (hey I will learn that word this level!)

Any advice for reading? I know that the general idea is to start branching out and reading a ton at level 30 but I… haven’t. I kept telling myself that I was busy with school and work, but when finals ended and I had two weeks of free time, I avoided reading the books I have. Perhaps I needed a break to avoid total burnout, not just from Japanese. But I’m also in the terrible, terrible stage where I can read a sentence, understand all of the words and/or kanji in it, and still have no clue what it means. It’s really defeating. Once I see an English translation, it becomes clear, but it doesn’t make sense until I see it in English. Am I using English as a crutch too much? Should I fully embrace tadoku where I read even if I don’t get it? Will things magically start making sense or is it a waste of time? It feels like I’m in the middle of a level – the easy content is too easy, but the next stuff up is too hard. Would it be better to keep reading easy stuff I can understand (but am bored by) or read harder stuff (which I might not understand even if I can muster the motivation to read it)?

I think a big part of it is learning to come with reading at the speed of a preschooler again. Every time I pick something up in Japanese, it takes me back to the frustrating days where I was taking so much time to gain so little information (except this time, even when I make it through a sentence, I don’t have the knowledge of the spoken language to back up comprehension).

Learning this language has been so fun and exciting, and I have no plans to give up. It’s just (once again) sinking in how much work it really takes.

13 Likes

One of the biggest projects i ever did in my life. These level are going to be alot of fun “not” 地獄 i personally recommend slowing down at some point because it will only get tougher at 40 (from what i heard) so it is better to get rid of them leeches (to make room for new ones)
Good luck and 無理しないでください

9 Likes

Leveled up to 39 in 19 days and 3 hours.
It is great feeling to level up🥳
And i am finally close to 天国
P.s: also realized it is my 20th level up since joining this thread.

13 Likes

I failed to continue learning…
Also dropped I out :sweat_smile:
Maybe 2046 will work haha

8 Likes

Finally on level 8 after about 2.5 years spent on level 7. I ended up having 972 reviews to push through when I started again in the beginning of June. Feels like my (mental) shackles have been broken, and I’m finally ready to climb again!

21 Likes

Welcome to the forums and to the climb!

@username21

nervous chuckling

To mark June 23rd, and rising to level 23 soon, I’m going to use today to join the race.

11 Likes

@Brasa @UInt2048 welcome to the climb both of you ^^

UInt, how fast are you planning to go :wink:

reached level 23 today, after 7 days 13 hours. this felt like the most difficult level so far - been really struggling with remembering the kanji, been struggling with punctuality. been struggling with brain-fog overall. i do think it’s mostly hayfever (and meds against it), and it ought to get better in a week or two. but it feels like a slog currently.

i’m definitely still moving forward though. both with japanese, and with WK. two months ago a review pile of over 100 was scary, and i used to split them into two sessions. now 100 reviews is … it’s not easy, but i just work my way through them. and it works.

dunno how the next level will go: i’m travelling for three days, and might be a little busy to keep up with everything. but i’ll hopefully have enough downtime too, i’ll just have to see.

and first burns coming up on friday! i was thinking i’d be doing well if i reached level 20 by the time i got burns. i’m still kind of amazed that i’m managing to climb this fast :smiley:

7 Likes

44!

fast levels… very fast. I’m going to continue this speed but will probably do a slow catch-up level in a month.

I think what helps is that I recognize at least half the kanji I’m learning now either from reading or just from living in Japan lol, so it feels more like I’m just collecting the ones I’m missing + vocab mountain.

9 Likes

Congrats on the level up Kuuru san :grin:

tenor94

7 Likes

The fact that you are still here doesn’t mean you dropped out Nipad san :slight_smile:

You can move slow and steady :+1:

11 Likes

Well, I got back from my weeklong vacation today and I was a few hundred reviews in the hole. I did reviews every day, just not all my reviews every day. I also tried to pack light and therefore brought just my phone and not my laptop with me. So, I was forced to only do reviews on my phone. Trying to type on the tiny screen combined with not having the doublecheck script on my phone resulted in a greatly decreased accuracy as I made a LOT of typos and failed items that I actually knew quite well but didn’t type correctly. It was disheartening. Also, the bug where user entered alternate answers were counted as incorrect hit in the middle of this and compounded it all.

So, I’m 17 days into level 37 and still haven’t done the kanji lessons yet. Now that I’m at 0 reviews I’ll try to start doing at least 5-10 lessons each day to get back on track.

12 Likes

I’d like to level up to 23 on July 1st.

I have 395 reviews to go currently, so…

6 Likes

looks like we’re just about on the same schedule ^^

4 Likes

Same problems here! I can’t seem to figure where the undo button is on flaming durtles…

6 Likes

Japanese in general! :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Maybe so, I just did 525 reviews today (all-time high!) to finally clear out my review pile for the first time in a year!

6 Likes

You have to activate it. It is not activated by default.

Go to advanced settings → other advanced settings

And then you can configure the special buttons. I am just using one as “undo and retry immediately”.

It helps a lot with all the typos…

7 Likes

Level 50, uff. Again, closing one fast level, starting another… that’s 132 lessons at once.

In the meantime, I have reached 2500 burns! My statistics now stand at A173/G1122/M983/E2791/B2557.

13 Likes

Let me just commemorate this view:

20210626-01

Doubt if I ever see it in future again, so just wanted to snap the image this button looks like with lesson amount > 500 (I guess?). Not like it’s often to see, neither any normal - but since I’m here, guess I should cherish the efforts artist put into this piece.

EDIT: ah, yup, the threshold was 500. Now the picture above is the part of history:

15 Likes

I’m now in Hell, as of last night!
Time to focus on grammar a bit more and WK less.
I should be learning N3 grammar by now. Just three more chapters of Genki 2 left…

7 Likes