Lessons learned

So I managed to burn most of the words up to level 60. It took me roughly 1.5 years to reach level sixty. I am an advanced learner taking the N1 in winter. Here are a few reflections of my journey:

• learn at your own pace. This isn’t a race. No japanese person has ever asked me my level up time in WK.
  • take the later levels a bit more slowly. I did a few of them in four days. It was very tiring and in the end caused me a lot more trouble in the reviews later on as retention wasn’t as good as with my usual level up time
  • reading kanji was instrumental to my understanding of the language. It’s something that can only be appreciated once you’ve made the trip.
  • if you’re at or above an N2 level, do not stop after level 40 as some people have suggested here. You will get bogged down looking up kanji when reading more intricate texts.
  • there will always be kanjis you don’t know how to read, especially once you dive into lyricism or classical novels. accept this.
  • japanese is by far the most difficult language I know, and I speak seven of them. Progress is about 1/3 of the usual speed. You’re not stupid, the language is just very very hard.

I wish you all the best on your journey.

40 Likes

Congratulations!

Can confirm please do not do this or you’ll probably end up in this situation:
IMG_0803

4 Likes

Congratulations! Good points well made. I am currently slogging it out at level 55 and feeling the pain so thanks for the inspiration

What if one learns words and kanji from context and adds them to their own Anki deck? I personally reached level 42 on WaniKani and learned the rest of the kanji (and more) outside of WanKani. Never had problems with reading kanji I learned outside of WaniKani. What do you mean by “more intricate texts”?

Congratulations on your journey :slight_smile:

1 Like

i speak 4 languages at (near) native level, and have smatterings of a few other languages, and yeah, japanese is hard!

also, congratulations!

2 Likes

I just looked through the kanji after level 42 and I can say that I have encountered many in the last week of my reading (books, poetry, newspapers, and in plain old example sentences of grammar lessons). Although they are a bit more rare on an individual level, as a whole they appear in everyday texts.

1 Like

You have imparted so much wisdom in so few words.

Congratulations!!!

I’m definitely stupid, two things can be true at once y’know!

8 Likes