Lessons are still ordered (but now with old and new options)

But your app lessons should be ordered the way you set them on the website. You can’t change any account settings in the apps. Only the app settings.

This is true. The unofficial apps only use the API to present you with information. When you do lessons or reviews with them, they’re loading the website with an internal browser. So ultimately you’re using the website either way.

1 Like

Then why can’t I find it?

1 Like

nevermind, I found it

1 Like

I really like this option. Will be my preferred setting henceforth. I was considering switching between the modes as needed, but this third option makes it less cumbersome.

Just wanted to say thanks. :heart::crabigator::heart:

I like this change :heart:

I am 26 in Apprentice, I’ve been in settings more times than I can count and still don’t know how to change it so I can learn vocabulary before radicals… Why is there no step-by-step way to change, or give it as an option on starting up the first time. So confusing.

With the default settings you learn the vocabulary of the previous level before the radicals of the current level. Since you are level 1, you haven’t unlocked any vocabulary yet. But you will learn the level 1 vocabulary before the level 2 radicals.

For what it’s worth, they don’t point you to that setting because they want you to use the default.

Vocab are contingent upon the kanji that make them up. The kanji are contingent upon the radicals that make them up. You can’t skip content.

Not everyone learns in the same way. Some learn faster with speech and listening, others with reading and writing. I paid for the month because I hoped to get the option to choose my learning style as there is no incorrect method to learning Japanese.

I won’t continue the monthly cost if I am not free to learn as I like as to my needs, the most important thing is vocabulary and grammar acquisition so I can speak before I read kanji. Vocabulary is build from how they are said fundamentally, and understanding hiragana/katakana is the building blocks to get a lot of Japanese vocabulary built like Japanese do when they’re growing up. No child learns their base vocab with kanji.

So I think the program should be changed to suit peoples needs because I think it will keep more people if you can customize your learning. I’d rather learn Japanese through kana and building a good vocabulary base first, then when I get enough words, to learn the radicles and kanji after.

:pensive:

This is a site for teaching how to read kanji. It does introduce vocab in the process of doing that, but vocab is not the primary objective. They expect you to do your primary Japanese studying elsewhere. Lots of common vocab are not included because they either don’t have a kanji form or because their readings have already been taught with 10 other vocab words and it starts to seem redundant.

BTW, the first 3 levels are free, so no one asked you to pay for it before you tried it.

They’re trying to avoid mission creep. When you try to do everything, you do the individual things less well.

I lived in Japan, so there is no one method to learn a language…I learned more Japanese speaking and listening than learning it with Kanji…so sorry but you’re not getting methods of learning. Nothing about this stated this was only to learn Japanese in one method alone. I was told I COULD change the order from their own Twitter, so excuse me but I am not a creep for expecting to be able to do so.

44 AM

I live in Japan now. What about it? I didn’t learn Japanese from WK, I only learned kanji here. That’s what it’s purpose is.

You misunderstood them then. That tweet is only about lessons you have already unlocked. The method for unlocking items didn’t change.

Are you trolling me now? “Mission creep” is a thing, not a name I called you.

Wow glad to be leaving if you’re the kind of people in this community. My original message to them was…

02 AM

and their reply is stating very clearly that:

“That is an option to reorder lessons, in settings!”

Very simple to understand what they mean. :roll_eyes:

Then they misunderstood you. Or misled you. However you want to see it. @anon20839864 do you know who runs the twitter account? It seems like a misunderstanding.

I didn’t say anything harsh or critical of you at any point, so I am confused where you’re getting that at all, but eh.

@HaruNyanInOsaka: This website is primarily for learning Kanji. I don’t think that it will work for your needs. There are alternative resources (memrise? anki kana-only decks) which offer something closer to what you are looking for that you might want to look into.

If you are dissatisfied with wanikani, please contact wanikani at hello@wanikani.com and they may be able to offer you a refund.

If you are planning to learn to read Japanese, you might find wanikani to be a useful tool in your Japanese-language learning. It can take a long time to learn to read (I’m here on my 3rd year) so doing a bit of kanji learning now (via wanikani or other methods like Read The Kanji) can be a good investment of your time, even if it is not the primary way you are studying Japanese.

I think there is some confusion going on, especially with the Twitter exchange. I am looking into it now.

Our system is ordered in a certain way; the primary focus is kanji and vocabulary is used to reinforce it. So unfortunately we can not accomodate to your learning style, @HaruNyanInOsaka. We apologize for the misunderstandings.

If you feel like you can’t continue with our system due to this, please shoot us an email at hello@wanikani.com and we will refund your subscription.

1 Like

Lol@mistaking ‘mission creep’ for a personal insult :blush:

1 Like

Lessons are not ordered any more. I didn’t change my settings. Tested with various browsers with and without userscripts (Firefox on Ubuntu 17.04, Firefox on Android Marshmallow).

Update: it seems Chrome on Windows 7 still orders lessons…

Update2: it seems Firefox on Ubuntu orders lessons again…

So is everything back to… uh… order? :laughing:

It’ll help us if no userscripts are running while debugging the problem. We don’t guarantee userscripts since they are out of our control.