Lessons are still ordered (but now with old and new options)

Precisely. When someone levels up, he/she might want to have the radical lessons first because they don’t have a lot of time. Some might prefer the vocab while the Kanji are fresh. Who knows the reason.

That’s why the new mode could actually be about deciding what comes first and not about ordering it by level.

My opinion though :slight_smile:

I know, don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue: just reinforcing that I agree with the way the system is in that aspect.

1 Like

I completely agree with you. But I can see why they did it the way they did. I still think it’s better than the old way. I will still definitely be utilizing the reorder script, but I think this will be much better for those who take a slower pace.

2 Likes

Yup! It’s definitely better! :slight_smile: That I can’t negate ^^

2 Likes

Nice, thanks! Totally did not expect this to be changed - and certainly not so fast.

@plantron - Next surely has to be Golden Burn. I have no idea how people get by without that one.

2 Likes

Resistance is futile

I get by just fine without Golden Burn. *shrugs*

What I don’t understand is how people get by without Level Up Celebrator, with a wacky gif of Shawn and Gus from Psych dancing. That there’s quality motivation. *grins*

5 Likes

Thank you for resolving this so quickly. There was never going to be a one-size-fits-all solution. An option in the profile is the perfect result.

To everyone else, please give this new option a try and stop asking for more things to be changed. Every time a piece of software is changed, the developer has to consider the impact of that change on the rest of the system. After they justify doing it, they have to implement it so that it does not mess up something that already works.

Think of it like hanging up a painting. Sometimes it is as simple as adjusting the angle of the frame. Sometimes it involves bashing another nail in the wall. If it involves a hole in the wall, you have to make sure there is no water pipe behind it behind pierced.

Every time we ask viet to tweak it a bit here and there, we should not assume it is a quick and easy fix. A simple change on the outside could be very complicated behind the scenes.

5 Likes

I can’t run scripts on my work computer, and my screen looks so dreary without my golden burn. :cry:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this, Viet. It had been really disappointing not being able to actually start any of my new level items after leveling up last night. Looking forward to working on my new radicals and kanji along with the vocab!

1 Like

Thank you very much for listening to our opinion and acting so quickly on it. I echo what @wunderbunny is saying, this things are hard. Give the new options a try and then post your feedback rather then asking for more sorting options. I did not expect such a fast change(1-2 weeks at best) and that is probably why the WK team is so wonderful but we should still be considerate.

1 Like

Thanks for adding this option so quickly. :blush:

1 Like

Never thought I’d be represented by captain america. I prefer the parties and science.

1 Like

I would like to see some sort of weighted/biased shuffle that favors radicals and kanji over vocab in the lesson queue, but still produces a healthy “mix” to avoid kanji overload. I’ve been doing this manually by reloading the lessons page until I get a nice distribution, but still sometimes single kanji elude me for too long and prevent me from leveling faster.

1 Like

Hi. Level 1 n00b here. I have no idea what you’re all talking about. What will change?

1 Like

The default is now for lessons to appear in order by level and lesson type. Before, everything was random (among the lessons you had unlocked). This resulted in sometimes seeing lessons that referred to other lessons you hadn’t seen yet. If you want to choose jumble, you can do so in the options.

1 Like

Aahh. I see. Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like this makes much more sense. :blush::+1:

1 Like

I like that vocab items “block” the next level. It prevents you from just doing radical and kanji items, and having vocab just pile up forever. Doing vocab lessons while you’re on the level they’re on is a good idea in general.

6 Likes

Looks like Shuffler made a new friend while they were out.

Added ascending level then shuffle order option.

14 Likes

Cool beans!

@seanblue, depending on how this works do you still want to work on that new script, I wonder… Or would this cover it for all of us that like that sort of thing? Were I not on my way out the door, I’d check it out right away.

(Also, I’m loving those Avengers comparisons, @viet. Keep 'em coming. : D )

1 Like

I’m not going to go into details until I’ve confirmed it works, but I think it will work nicely with this setting.
Do you mean literally out the door? Because I haven’t even started working on it yet. Or do you mean you’re leaving us for a bit?

1 Like