Lessons are now ordered

Another vote for being able to keep the original randomised lesson ordering. I am more interested in remembering things than levelling up as fast as possible and the jumbled order was less of a burn out.

As I pointed out, this doesnā€™t actually make it easier to go fast. You still need the reorder script for that. (and I canā€™t resist saying again that going fast and learning arenā€™t mutually exclusive, thank you very much!)

What it is for is to prevent items from appearing out of their intended order.

Donā€™t take it so personallyā€¦ Iā€™m just sharing my opinion on being able to switch back the original ordering as an account setting. You donā€™t get what you want if you donā€™t vote for it.

And Iā€™m just trying to help it be an informed opinion. Keeping it like this is a vote for team slow, heh

So just to clarify, you have no objection to having a setting on your account to restore the original ordering?

I just leveled to 24 in 7 days and 18 hours and got exactly 4 vocabulary, then the radicals, kanji and rest of the vocab.

@Leebo - Does your scenario of getting like 70 vocab to start pertain to higher levels with fewer radicals plus maybe getting all answers correct each time and guruing all kanji at the same time?

Iā€™ve said a few times that having the options to reorder in the WK settings themselves would be the optimal solution I wish existed from the beginning. That would include the ability to do any jumbling too.

Well, it means that any vocab from kanji that are in the batch that push you over the 90% line will be the first ones you have to do before you can move on to the next level stuff. On regular levels it could be small like that, it could be huge like I mentioned. Depends when you did the kanji batch. On my max speed regular levels, I often waited to do the early kanji, so Iā€™d end up with them all together moving over 90%.

And yeah, at max speed on short levels, Iā€™ll always see a huge batch first.

But basically, yeah, the point is you canā€™t move on to next level stuff before doing ALL the previous level vocab that got unlocked. It sounds like you were doing the vocab promptly anyway.

This is why I was confused by your excitement before. I was like, ā€œis he somehow done all his vocab for the previous level already when he levels up?ā€. Your reaction now is more like what I was expecting. :smile:

At least youā€™ve already taken the N1, so not as big a deal now, yeah?

For the lessons is pretty much the fact that going over the kanjis and radicals first will help you on further levels where you donā€™t want to slow down on your speed level.

Well, I mean, itā€™s not a big deal, noā€¦ and seeing how few levels I have left it might just work out fine anyway

Level 54 - this Friday evening, Iā€™ll be at home
Level 55 - next Monday, a Japanese holiday, Iā€™ll be at home
Level 56 - next Thursday evening, Iā€™ll be at home
Level 57 - Monday the 24th, start of summer vacation, Iā€™ll be home
Level 58 - 60 - vacation

Coincidentally works out for me, I guess.

Makes sense. I donā€™t reorder and I do lessons basically as soon as I get them (and am not working). So I donā€™t normally have left over vocabulary other than the ones that pop when you guru the final batch of kanji.

What?! (Thatā€™s more in general to this change.)

Iā€™m incredibly surprised. (Saw the ā€œbug reportā€ that led me here, via Leeboā€™s quote/linkbox, thinking ā€œwhen did this happen?!ā€ā€¦ Yesterday, apparently.)

I enjoyed the randomness of my reviews. I wonder if/how xMunchā€™s reorder script can be used with this, stillā€¦ like occasionally Iā€™d use it to only do vocab (when kanji and radicals still exist) or to only do kanji+ radicals, depending on my moodā€¦ but could I get back that ā€œtruly randomā€ mode? Especially since things arenā€™t unlocked until other things have been guruā€™dā€¦ I really donā€™t want to learn 5 things at once with similar meaningsā€¦ I enjoyed them being a little more spaced. And usually I prefer to do one batch of 5 that has 2 kanji in it and 1 radical and 2 vocab, and then just 5 vocab, or another set like the previous oneā€¦ (to answer Vietā€™s question back at seanblue.)

@xMunch @viet (maybe?)

NOTE: This is only a response to the 5th post in a thread of 111 posts. I have a lot of discussion to catch up on, my concerns may have already been addressed. Please respond with that grain of salt - this is my initial reaction and thoughts. (Also at 4:15amā€¦ I shouldnā€™t be up this late. XD)

Complete agreement with you here!

Oh noes! Thatā€™s exactly what I feared above! *continues to read on, hoping for a solution herein*

However, in that case, that kanji shouldnā€™t be unlocked until the radical has been guruā€™d ā†’ make it be in the ā€œsecond halfā€ of the kanji, rather than the first half. (I put that in quotes, because for people who do smaller batches instead of all their lessons at once, it can show up/unlock kind of whenever.)

That doesnā€™t seem to be working for me. It remembered being in ā€œtypeā€ mode so it started there, and it showed I had items in level 7, 11, and 12 as well as 15. Rather than 14 and 15 or just 15 like I expectedā€¦ So I guess some new content was put into the older levels, recently with another update Iā€™ve missed. It weirdly did only level 15 when balanced (totally random) on multiple attempts, and included the 7, 11, and 12 items if switched back to ā€œtypeā€. (I use xMunchā€™s Reorder Ultimate.)

So, I donā€™t believe a proper ā€œtotally randomā€ mix like there used to be exists any more. And I think the only reason I was able to see 2 kanji with 3 vocab, is because of those older levels, and only having 7 kanji for this level left (and no radicals). Iā€™m willing to bet if I had just leveled up, itā€™d be all radicals all the time.

@alexbeldan - responding to you here too since this was my experience. Are you able to get truly random lesson batches? (I stick to the default 5.) @riccyjay - EXACTLY. Thank you. <3 (Talking about post 63.)

@minamixdrops - Iā€™ve missed you!

@seanblue - According to your lessons page (within a lesson itself) how many of each item does it show you having for it to work? I have 7 kanji and 43 vocab, and I canā€™t get a truly random mix. Iā€™ve basically gotten either 1 of 2 optionsā€¦ one time in the ā€œtypeā€ setting I had 1 variant vocab. (Are you using a different reorder script than me?)

*nods*

*nods*

I hope it happens. Thank you for bringing it to their attention and considering it. ^^

Iā€™m sorry, but I snorted at this. XD ā€¦ That is how I understood the update to work, upon reading it up above. Thank you for confirming it. (I personally try to do as much of those new/late vocab items as possible while leaving the last few kanji items hanging to not hit 90% guruā€™d until I have as few as possible, these days, to produce less ā€œleftoversā€.)

It seems to be randomā€¦ but Iā€™m not 100% sureā€¦

*tilts head* Are you done all your radicals already? If not, then maybe not totally random?

(Where are the boxes saying what type and level it is? They disappeared since you have them uncheckedā€¦ hmmā€¦ maybe I need to uncheck everything for ā€œtrue randomnessā€ā€¦ You may have solved my issue. Iā€™ll try that.)

EDIT: Hmmā€¦ that seemed to make a slight difference. Either all vocabulary (and usually including ~Ꙃ, which I assume is the/one of the level 7 items), or 4 vocabulary and 1 kanji for me, with this methodā€¦ But I am definitely seeing the same few things cycle through as I hit Force Reorder again and again, so I still think itā€™s doing some behind-the-scenes ordering on the website in the first place.

Yeahā€¦ I donā€™t know what magic makes the randomnessā€¦

And yes, I have no radicals.

Both boxes need to be unticked and the scales need to be balanced

Reviews are still interleaved. Ordering lessons is just common sense. If somebody has lessons from level 3, 4, and 5, then he should do the lessons from level 3 first before level 4 or 5.

1 Like