Lessons are now ordered

I don’t really get this part, would any one be able to explain it in a little more detail?

I can’t really say I’m happy with this change, it feels like its there for faster leveling. From the perspective of someone who levels at about a 16 day pace, the interleaving method feels much better. It allows me to practice kanji more consistently with the vocab that comes up. With the new change it would feel that I’d have to spend more time failing kanji readings and meaning because of the lack of practice [with vocab]. Yesterday I got 10 vocab in a row which didn’t feel very good. I don’t use scripts because I prefer for the experience to be as simple as possible.

The change that I would like is to make the option available to batch items how they used to be before this change. If not please elaborate on why this change would be better with the new content update?

1 Like

So if this is supposed to be ordered [Radicals, Kanji, Vocab], and I haven’t guru’d all the radicals and kanji for my current level, then why is it only giving me vocab? Also, I can’t say I’m a huge fan of this move. There was already a widely known and used reorder script for those who wanted this behavior. Big blocks of the same category seems harder to remember and far more boring.

If you have lessons from multiple levels available, like when the WK staff adds more vocabulary to a level below yours, then WK will give you those lessons first. So if I had lessons from level 20, level 5, and level 15, it would show me the lessons from level 5 first, level 15 after that, then finally the level 20 lessons.

Because you have vocab lessons from a level below your current one, and it shows those lessons first (see my post above).

Ah, thank you @Helix.

1 Like

Which can’t be used on mobile or when scripts are unavailable (i.e., whenever I used WK away from home).

3 Likes

I think without giving context as to why the change was made we aren’t able to see the benefit and it feels more like they just changed teams (maybe an unintentional consequence). From the limited information we have right now it feels that the better approach would have been to be more inclusive i.e. adding options for those who want a closer experience to what is offered with the reorder script. Versus just changing the system to better suit the needs of users who prefer the different method. I am curious of what you think about this @Leebo?

Viet mentioned one of the reasons why, although it’s not in the OP:

I said above that I don’t see a problem with people wanting to be able to jumble it (and you can do so with the reorder script), but I also think that there was never a good reason for making jumbled lessons the standard in the first place. Interleaving makes sense for reviews, less so for introducing content in a logical manner. What other resource randomizes its lessons? As others have pointed out, interleaving, if it has benefits, is a long-term effect, and changing how lessons are presented isn’t ruining anything in regard to it.

If people want to jumble it on their own, they are free to.

This change is pretty big at least for me, so that doesn’t seem like much information. Maybe it would have been better to roll out the change with the content update.

I accept the fact that you don’t think jumbled lessons are not logical and there may be benefits I am not seeing. And I don’t know of any other similar resources so I would not be able to respond to that.

As far as these statements:

It seems to me that you are contradicting yourself. Hopefully I am not putting words in your mouth that are not true. You say that using scripts can be impossible at times, but you recommend for users who do not like the this change to use them?

**And please don’t see this as me being argumentative I am just trying to understand your though process behind what you are saying.

It’s difficult repeating myself precisely in the topic… if you want, you can insert “in the meantime” after those sentences concerning the user script. If the devs make it possible to set it so ordered is the default, but jumbled is an option, I don’t have any problem with that. I would have always preferred both being an option obviously until now as well.

EDIT: But to be clear, no one ever faced time concerns because they couldn’t access jumbled lessons. Whereas that’s something that people do face when they can’t access ordered lessons.

2 Likes

Great news!
Just when I started considering to install the reorder script.
Praised be the Crabigator!

1 Like

Now we only need a “force correct” answer and my phone and I will be happy.

Thank you, that makes more sense. Then I agree with you wholeheartedly.

There are already some existing content which refers to one another (which made it confusing to a few people with the randomness of lessons). At one point the product was specced out for each item to be self contained, but the product has evolved over time and this update addresses one such evolution. This also sets up for some major content revisions coming up from the content team.

We work in an agile environment. Incremental updates get pushed out. And we’ll react appropriately. Seems like adding sorting options is a popular request. But this is something that’ll need to be discussed with the rest of the team.

7 Likes

What about てlevisions?

Thank you for your clarification, I appreciate it.

I haven’t leveled up since the change was made, so it took me a while to realize this, but the ordering by level doesn’t solve the problem of not having the reorder script on mobile… it actually makes it the worst possible scenario.

When you level up, and you want to start the next level quickly, you’ll first be presented with 70 or so new vocab words that can’t be skipped.

Oh well.

3 Likes

I can no longer feel high & mighty for never using reorder scripts.

1 Like