Lessons are now ordered

Not tried this yet but have just seen a load of lessons pop up. I have to say I like the mix to soften the blow. It’s nice to see recognisable things along with new stuff. I’m no fan of scripts and don’t use any so will have to see how this goes. From the sound of it I can’t see it being helpful for me.

Couldn’t we have an option somewhere ie random (old style) or ordered (new style)?

3 Likes

You can use the normal reorder script to randomise by not selecting anything. I do that all the time with reviews after I’m done with the level’s radicals or kanji.

3 Likes

I’m with @seanblue on this one. I don’t disagree completely with the move because as you said, when items refer to each other it makes perfect sense to have them in some kind of order. Also, the reorder script should still work for people like me who don’t want to go in order.

This is my personal plan of attack and why I don’t go in order:

• I (mostly) try to go as fast as possible.
  • For levels that had radicals, I used the reorder script to do those first (here I agree with the reordering because it lets you level up the fastest).
  • Kanji and Vocab mixed until there are 0 lessons left. I did it this way for interleaving. Not because I think it will help me remember them better (maybe it will, idk), but just because doing between 20-40 Kanji in a row is really taxing. For me, vocab interspersed with Kanji provided a nice break. The whole experience of learning a word, hearing its pronunciation, reading the context sentence and trying to translate it, the whole shebang, is a nice break from the monotony of all those Kanji back to back.

I like to go as fast as possible, so from that point of view I think having to do 35 Kanji lessons back to back makes the experience stale and less enjoyable than interleaving with vocab. Personally I don’t think that my reasons here are an argument against ordering lessons. If you say that the solution for people like me is to use the reorder script, then IMO that’s perfectly fine. Since you asked, though, I wanted to offer my perspective.

8 Likes

You can always change batch size and then specify type on the batch. So if you wanna do 10ish lessons with mostly vocab, you can put batch size at like 3 and do 1 batch of kanji, then 2 batches of vocab. Or just 5 and 5 like me. Whichever combination works best. It’s still easy to customize your lessons and reviews.

I can discuss this with the content team. This is setting up for their content changes. @anon20839864 @koichi. Kristen is gone for the next week, but I am sure she’ll respond when she gets the chance.

I can see adding reordering options to lessons, since I don’t think the module of the website doesn’t need to be so opinionated. But from my understanding this is how it is going to be as a default moving forward.

6 Likes

Having to change the batch size all the time would be a pain. I’m trying to slow down a bit, so for the last week I’ve been doing 12 items a day (3 batches of 4), with 2-4 kanji total depending on what happened to show up. I could just do 4 kanji, but I’d rather have 1-2 kanji per batch rather than one batch entirely made up of kanji. It’s just less stressful that way.

Thanks for mentioning that. I’ll have to try it out.

Please keep us updated. :slight_smile: Having this as an officially supported feature would be very nice.

2 Likes

Also, what I think would be really helpful in kanji lessons is more mentions of other kanji that look similar and have the same reading. In kanji lessons, it seems that similar kanji with the same reading are only mentioned about 10% of the time. I don’t remember any that do, but an example of a few that don’t are the pairs 因 and 姻, and 太 and 汰. I think it would be massively helpful in the lessons to say “Hey, remember when you learned 太 (たい)? Well it’s the right part of 汰 and shares a reading!” Again, I’ve seen this done a few times and it’s been super helpful, but most of these pairs usually aren’t mentioned.

This is in the same vein as visually similar kanji, which would also be great to put into lessons. Is this something that’s in the works? I was thinking of putting a list together of kanji that look similar and have the same readings that aren’t mentioned in the lessons, would that be helpful or is there one already being worked on?

3 Likes

Well, this would have been nice earlier, but at least I can use it for a handful of levels.

You have seven fingers?

3 Likes

Yes, but this is also unrelated to how many things I can hold in my hands.

1 Like

Or is it? If you only have 7 fingers, it’d be harder to grip as many things. Therefore it would affect the number of things you can hold in your hands.

You misunderstand. I have seven fingers. ON EACH HAND.

1 Like

But then that means you can grip even more than so it’s still not unrelated!

I have five fingers so I can only hold five things. Maybe it isn’t a linear progression, perhaps the function h(f), where h is the value of a handful and f is the number of a fingers on a hand, is asymptotic at f=7.

It depends far more on the things than the fingers. WK lessons are like golf-ball size, I’d say.

1 Like

Hmm, you make a good point.

This is an excellent update! I don’t use scripts, and depending on when my level up hits, I sometimes have to do my lessons in two sittings. This will ensure my level up time doesn’t suffer. I’ll always at least get through the radicals and kanji straight away.

Someone did a thesis paper on this (a long but interesting read, and most of it is a giant kanji list), and then someone else adapted it into a WaniKani userscript. It’s not officially supported any more, but it still works.

It will give you snippets like “most of the kanji with this radical have the same on’yomi” or “this is a completely irregular on’yomi and doesn’t match the other ones with the same radical,” then shows you the list of each kanji and its on’yomi. That makes it good for differentiating similar kanji as well. I think it covers around 400 of the kanji on the list here, and associating those things can definitely speed up the learning process when applied across 400 kanji and several vocab words each.

There are a few issues with it, mostly that sometimes the on’yomi doesn’t match what WaniKani wants you to respond with. That’s because it’s scraped from a paper that has strictly on’yomi readings, whereas WK sometimes gives you a kun’yomi when teaching the kanji since it’s used way more often. Still, it’s very helpful. An example:

3 Likes

I’m going with ping pong ball sized.

Whelp my recently installed reorder script is bunk now, I guess. Obviously I was just ahead of the curve. :grin: