Lesson retention, Survey and Discussion

Splitting up reviews throughout the day has been really helpful. When I have some spare time at work rather then opening Reddit which I normally do I opened Tsurukame and did 10-15 reviews. This this multiple times thought the day and also did some lessons. So when I get home tonight I can just review what I learned and focus on other Japanese resources.

Basically waiting until late at night to do 150 reviews ended up with me getting more things wrong and slowing everything down.

In general I need to get off Reddit though, I waste hours a day on there when I’m suppose to be working xD that’s another thing I need to handle though.

3 Likes

Blockquote
• When completing lessons do you normally only do a small amount of at a time like 5-10 a day or do you push though the lessons and do as many as you can.

I try to do as many as I can and try to have 0 lessons as soon as I can

Blockquote
• Do you try to keep your apprentice queue at a certain amount? Such as 100 items.

No

Blockquote
• Is it uncommon for lessons to pile up for you, having 42+ lessons at any given time that you feel can’t take on until you lower your apprentice items first?

No, I keep always brings reviews to 0 and then do any lessons I have available, regardless of the number of apprentice items

Blockquote
• How confident are you when the first review pops up after the 4-hour mark that you will get most of the lessons you learned correct without self-study quiz or other tools? What about the 8-hour review?

I don’t do self-study quiz or other tools. Sometimes I nail them all without effort, other times accuracy is much lower (it largely depends on how much I can concentrate and what else is on my mind (work etc., or life in general). I don’t worry too much about it, SRS will do its magic eventually.

Blockquote
• Do you aim to do the first review same day, such as do the lessons in the morning and be ready for the first review in 4 hours or do you complete the lessons in the afternoon or night and do the first review sometime the next day (12 hours plus later)?

I try to do reviews three-four times a day (morning, lunch break, late afternoon, before bed

Blockquote
• Is there anything you do to help you remember, such as anki, self-study quiz, flash cards, etc. in between review periods. Do you do any these on the go with your cellphone?

No.

Blockquote
• What is your wkstats accuracy for readings and meanings?

85% reading, 93% meaning.

Blockquote
• Have you gotten an answer wrong but said “oh ya that’s the right answer I knew that” and used the ignore script or another script to still mark it as correct?

No, I do not have or use ignore scripts or other scripts.

1 Like

• When completing lessons do you normally only do a small amount of at a time like 5-10 a day or do you push though the lessons and do as many as you can.

I use reorder scripts pretty heavily and try to make things as gradual as possible - I always do all the radicals immediately after they unlock, and then every weekday I do one or two sets of kanji and vocab in proportionate numbers (e.g. if I have ~20 kanji and ~40 vocab I will do 5 kanji and 10 vocab in a sitting).

I space them out so that I don’t do a new set of lessons until I’ve done the 4-hour review for the first set of the day. I don’t focus on fast levels in particular. When the radicals are done, I continue to space out the kanji in chunks of 5 and will hold off if I feel overwhelmed.

• Do you try to keep your apprentice queue at a certain amount? Such as 100 items.

I do keep an eye on it, but don’t strictly forbid a certain number. I mostly just slow down if I feel I’m having trouble keeping up with reviews.

• Is it uncommon for lessons to pile up for you, having 42+ lessons at any given time that you feel can’t take on until you lower your apprentice items first?

Since I bring things in pretty gradually, I tend not to have a crazy lessons queue - often I have guru’ed most of the other kanji from a given level by the time I do the ones required to level up, so I get a lot of the vocab started before the wave of new-level lessons.

• How confident are you when the first review pops up after the 4-hour mark that you will get most of the lessons you learned correct without self-study quiz or other tools? What about the 8-hour review?

Reasonably confident - getting them all correct is not a huge deal to me, though - the SRS will work it out, as others have said. For the first couple reviews I tend to self-quiz new kanji again on the results page even if I got them right - I also do this for everything I get wrong in any review session.

• Do you aim to do the first review same day, such as do the lessons in the morning and be ready for the first review in 4 hours or do you complete the lessons in the afternoon or night and do the first review sometime the next day (12 hours plus later)?

Yeah, in general. I’m a morning person anyway, so I try to get a set of lessons in early. I use the Ultimate Timeline and often plan out what times of day I’ll check back in and do a set of reviews. I don’t stick to it strictly and it’s just a guideline. Sometimes I’m busy with something else.

• Is there anything you do to help you remember, such as anki, self-study quiz, flash cards, etc. in between review periods. Do you do any these on the go with your cellphone?

No.

• What is your wkstats accuracy for readings and meanings?

Reading Meaning Total
Accuracy:   95.74%  95.31%  95.52%
Radicals:    ---    94.92%  94.92%
Kanji:      93.85%  95.71%  94.77%
Vocabulary: 96.44%  95.21%  95.82%

• Have you gotten an answer wrong but said “oh ya that’s the right answer I knew that” and used the ignore script or another script to still mark it as correct?

Yeah - I try not to abuse it - it’s really nice for typos but so easy to abuse.

I also wanted to note that I have a couple burn/leech habits. I have been rather slow (4 years on and off), so I have a lot of burned items.
Lately I will unburn kanji (but not vocab or radicals) immediately after burning them. I also unburn any kanji that I confuse with a new kanji (leeches), and sometimes unburn one or two vocab words that use that kanji to help me remember.

Japanese is not my #1 endeavor outside of work, so I may be a bit more casual than the fastest folks. But so far these methods work well for me in pacing and retention.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.