Lesson organisation

Hello everyone!

I was curious if anyone knows is there is a lesson reorganiser that would do the following:

• Organises new vocab lessons to come after the required Kanji are learned

For example, when you learn 先 then 生 the next lesson would be 先生。

I find that its feels inefficient to learn some 35 new kanji then spend a lot of time learning the 135 new vocab words after. I want to learn the kanji and then the words right after to compartmentalise what I’m learning.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there exists a script, but the lesson picker can probably help you, too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have to say, I had no clue this existed!

Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

No problem at all, always happy to help :heart:

Btw I think if you’re okay with user scripts, you should take a look at this list if you haven’t done so yet, there are a lot of very cool and helpful things, and maybe you’ll find something that you like :smiley: I’ve found like 10 scripts on this list that I am actively using :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, in this example this wouldn’t be possible because you have to Guru the kanji before the vocab that use them show up in lessons. Unless by “learn” you mean “guru”, in which case, the in-development lesson picker should be fine for your needs.

A tidbit about my own lesson reordering:

I also don’t like having to learn vocab that doesn’t use the kanji I just learned right after learning the kanji. So one of my steps in reordering is learning all the unlocked current level vocab before learning the current level kanji; this is because that unlocked vocab must use the previous levels’ kanji. Doing it this way, I am always learning vocab that uses the kanji I just learned.

2 Likes

FWIW, I never worried much about lesson ordering (possibly because I was far from a speed runner).

One ends up doing ~8X more reviews of an item than lessons, which are inevitably randomized without scripts.

To me, lessons were just a way to ensure I had enough reviews in my queue, and correctly reading random vocabulary without hints or ordering was the entire point of the process.

1 Like

Yeah if the default works no reason to change it. But after doing (painfully slowly) 12 levels like that I could more confidently say it wasn’t working for me. I tried out some weird review reordering early on but quickly realized it wasn’t what I needed. I prefer my reviews to be altered as little as possible, mostly just sorting by srs so I get the things I need the most practice on done first (I could use critical, failed last review, or leech sorting for this too, but ultimately if I’m struggling with an item it will be lower srs, so I don’t need to mess with those filters).

But reordering lessons was crucial in going from (a) not doing WaniKani consistently at all, only really coming to this site for a couple months at a time and falling off and (b) making progress at a pace I was comfortable with, not necessarily a fast pace (fast was never the goal, it just sort of happened that once I was doing lessons consistently, in batch sizes and logical groupings that worked for me, then I ended up on a pace of leveling up every 12 to 16 days depending on amount of vocab).

It’s worth mentioning that I am not really an advocate of reordering lessons to learn kanji as early as possible (skipping all the unlocked vocab to make progress toward a level up, only mixing the vocab in a bit in between). I don’t like this approach and think it slows down or worse hinders the learning process. My current reordering makes kanji the last thing I learn. It’s Radicals and some vocab → Literally all remaining unlocked vocab regardless of level, because it will all reinforce kanji I’ve already learned → New kanji → level up → repeat.

If one looks at that and still goes “I don’t really get it, why bother with all that when the default will do just fine” then perhaps it suffices to leave it simply at “it pleases the neurodivergence to organize things the way my brain wants them to be and working against that actively makes the learning harder”.

4 Likes