Leeches screensaver

Yeah, I think Leech Detector’s threshold makes a lot more sense.

Really cool idea, though. When someone figures out how to make it work for Windows (7 especially) without a browser open, let me know. XD

If it’s purely down to me then I’m not too hopeful about getting it to work as a screensaver on Windows 10. I tried a few options (that looked a bit dated so were probably made for older versions of Windows) and they all failed with the same “blah blah blah bind blah blah error”.

I hardly ever use Windows and there are a lot of tech-savvy folks in the community, so perhaps the solution will present itself in the future? :slight_smile:

That’s what I was hoping! I’m tech-savvy… but I’m not a programmer. Although, could you point me to the ones that “looked dated for older versions”? Since I’m on an older version, it might work for me. Or, what did you search? (I honestly don’t even know what I’d call it or what I’d search for.)

I tried searching for both “windows 10 web page screen saver” and “windows 10 web page wall paper”. Really, any way that makes the web page passively available will do, I think.

Thanks.

Thanks, @hitechbunny. If you are planning to use the “Leech Detector” formula, it may not be necessary to list everything the screensaver will show. “Leech Detector” already shows the top 50 leeches.

By the way, I am teaching myself python programming language. I want to create an Anki import file for the leeches so that I can review them in Anki at my preferred interval times. It should be done this week.

K. This won’t be super amazing to anyone, but now when I deploy the caches persist (which means loading the screen saver should be consistently snappy for people that have used it before). Tada! I spent a couple of hours on that. Turns out I found a bug in dokku itself. Go figure…

FYI The screensaver broke sometime in the last few hours. Sorry about this! I’ll have a look at why later today, and possibly migrate it at the same time to being backed by the faster implementation of wanikanitools.

2 Likes

@hitechbunny. Not to worry. If it’s easy, fix it now. If it’s complicated, consider leaving it till after the JLPT. You should be studying now. :slight_smile: You have done so much for us already.

Folks, please update the URL for your screensaver from:

https://wanikanitools.curiousattemptbunny.com?api_key=XXX

to

https://wanikanitools-golang.curiousattemptbunny.com/leeches/screensaver?api_key=XXX

The screen saver will now be crazy fast to load in comparison to before. Thanks for your patience!

Hmm. For some reason if I visit the site in my browser is works fine, but when I use it as a screensaver it hangs. I might not fix this until the evening.

So I got inspired, and after some rummaging around in the basement, I made a thing (sorry for bad photo). Obviously not done yet. I’ll hide all the cables tomorrow, and try to figure out if I can make some nice frame or something. But works as a proof of concept.

5 Likes

It warms my heart to see that this screensaver is a big enough deal for you to want to make a fixture out of it. :smile:

2 Likes

@AnimeCanuck - Are you still interested in a leeches screensaver for Windows? I am finalizing my code and could use someone to help test soon. Let me know.

@hitechbunny

The screensaver probably uses the internet explorer which is missing the javascript functions:
startsWith and Math.trunc.

If you add them the script should work on the windows 10 screensaver too.

if (!String.prototype.startsWith) {
  String.prototype.startsWith = function(searchString, position) {
    position = position || 0;
    return this.indexOf(searchString, position) === position;
  };
}

Math.trunc = Math.trunc || function(x) {
    return x - x % 1;
};

@hitechbunny, I added your screensaver code to the end of the script but still get this error trying to run it as a screensaver.

1 Like

I added those two shims ahead of any of the screen saver code. Does it work now?

If you mean me.
I cannot see the scripts on the page

@hitechbunny, I got it to work finally. Thank you. I really like this screensaver. :+1:

@GabrieleCK Oh! What did you do to get it to work as a screensaver in Windows? Please do tell and I’ll provide setup instructions for others.