1. Right after I wake up (before even brushing teeth
  2. when I get home from work
  3. when I got to bed.

WK is about the only thing I have consistently done in my japanese studies

1 Like

Nice dude, I’ll give it a try and see if I can make an improvement. :+1:

I currently fight with about 40 words which have “not optimal” mnemonics

勢い - Force
There is much force behind you, so when you come at me I scream: “EEK! OI! (いきおい), Get away from me!”

I’m doing no lessons at the moment to get my apprentice items clear but they always come back ;(

There is a sumo wrestler named Ikioi, he even won against Hakuho last year … because of him I have no trouble remembering the word.

1 Like

I kill leeches by writing the word on my hand, along with the meaning and reading(s). I do it in sharpie, so it typically lasts several days. Every time I’m bored, I look at my hand and drill the kanji into my mind. I did this with two kanji that I had never once studied and I still remember both of them.

2 Likes

This is pretty hardcore and also pretty genius. But what if you have over 30 leeches?:thinking:

Or over 100 :open_mouth:

1 Like

Good luck :upside_down_face:

But in all honesty you shouldn’t do this for more than one kanji at a time. For other leeches, you should try some of the other methods in this thread. Another thing I’ve been considering is writing down my difficult words on post-its or index cards and taping them to my wall or someplace that I’ll see them every day, although I haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

Maybe just write all of them on your arms. Then wear long sleeves… or not. :sweat_smile:

実在 - じつざい
実際 - じっさい

I confuse these two all the time. I can remember the readings for 在 and 際 now (most of the time) but I still get caught by the つ/っ

You shouldn’t be, if something already has a dakuten like ざい (在) the つ is never changed.

2 Likes

I wish I had known that before I started WK, that’s good to know, thank you!

Do you know if the rules for つ > っ are consistent when the following character does not use a dakuten?

I think it will mainly be shortened, but there are exceptions. I can only remember 吸血鬼 (きゅうけつき) at the moment, but there it has to do with being a three kanji compound. Best to consider that it is shortened by default and remember the exceptions explicitly. (*)

(*) If it cannot have a dakuten it is also not shortened, like 失恋 (しつれん) or 血圧 (けつあつ).

3 Likes

As soon as I got these, I knew immediately they’d end up being leeches.

怠慢 = negligence
You ignore everything around you because you are lazy 怠 with laziness 慢

怠惰 = laziness
A lazy 怠 lazy 惰 person is plagued with never ending laziness.

So far, so good, but time will tell.

I’m gonna have to amplify the mnemonics for these level 8 words involving 交:

交ぜる - まぜる - to mix
交じる - まじる - to be mixed
交わる - まじわる - to intersect

1. Distinguish transitive/intransitive mixing
    WK uses Jesus for じ which is pretty good. Jesus’ destiny is TO BE MIXED with the Father and the Holy Ghost to form the holy trinity. Let’s go with that.

2. Distinguish intersect from the mixing words
    WK uses mage for まじ, sounds good. I’ll use Wario for わ.
    The mage is using his mage magic to cause Wario’s to insect.
    That hasn’t really stuck since I came up with it so I figured it was time for a bad MS paint session:

7 Likes

Wait’ll you get to 混ぜる and friends…

1 Like

Petition to ban all synonyms from every language

8 Likes

anyone got a good mnemonic for telling 逃す and 逃がす apart?

The に in 逃がす basically knees the が out of it. When the が turns to say what the hell, the に begins singing “Let it Go”. (To let go)

The のが is stuck in the kanji 逃す because your noggin is stuck in you brain. Furthermore, you can’t get out of you mind the song “Let it Go”!! (To let go) (same definition)

2 Likes

Ugggh, I’ve been struggling for 独特 and 特徴 for what seems like forever. I’m nearly double the level I first got them in and I still get them mixed up. Does anyone have any good mnemonics for this?