Leech Squashing

“Set phasers to burn!”

4 Likes

Ah. Glad to see I’ll still be fighting these god forsaken leeches at Level 13. ;-;

1 Like

Oh my god, I am feeling so dense right now. It took me until over a week into level 5 to realize 足 and 走 are DIFFERENT KANJI and I kept getting them mixed up. Agh :see_no_evil::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Well, I’m possibly not the best example because I’ve been terrible about squashing my leeches. Hopefully my barely coherent notes to myself helped you though!

In other news, success! A notorious leech has been squashed! 行う has reached Enlightened. I thought it’d never happen. I’m free of it for four months (at which point it’ll return to haunt me for another few months I am sure)!

now to work on the other 95…

1 Like

Yeah, this is where I’d love to see a system that checks visually-similar kanji to see if any of them have the reading (or meaning) that you entered, and present them side by side with the correct one, so you could discover such differences more quickly.

3 Likes

That would be lovely, although incidentally I did install the self study script today and the leech squashing script. The leech squashing script does help, but I don’t know if it specifically isolates visually similar kanji, or if that’s just where my leeches are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can install my Niai similar kanji script, with the new database all kanji are covered nicely now.

3 Likes

I’d like to add that the script has been amazingly helpful for me. Thank you so much for making it! :sparkles:

THANK YOU!

If that makes you feel better, you became my mnemonic for 世, when I read this message the first time, I didn’t reach that Kanji yet, I move on to level 5 and it appeared. When I saw it the first time, your post came flashing back in my head and I remembered your rant. since then, I never failed to name and recognize 世。

1 Like

lol Glad to see it helped someone. I haven’t gotten the wrong since, either, so hopefully it’s stuck now. x3

GRRRR, just got leeched again by two kanji…

少 is not ‘small’ but ‘a little’…sooo frustrating. Jisho.org also says it means small…

会 is ‘meet’ and not ‘meeting’…but the vocab is ‘meeting’ so I messed it up

:weary::weary::weary::weary::weary::weary:

1 Like

出来上がる。I’ve got the reading down, but the meaning absolutely eludes anytime I need it. Any tips? I’m about ready to set a task on Outlook calendar with it so it pop-ups every time I open Outlook.

1 Like

I have the same leech. jisho.org says it also means “to be very drunk” so I will think of someone always inebriated like my friend, Ralph, who “needs to be finished” with alcohol.

Not the best mnemonic, I know. SRY.

Well it’s better than my Mnemonic which is “I need to be finished with this vocab”…

会 messed me up a lot too. I eventually had to remember that meat is pink, as in the background color for kanji, and that meat cannot have a meeting because it is dead.

1 Like

You mean this:

It says prefix for small, so in WK it would be 少〜 with a purple background. The information you want is on the right under “kanji”.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for checking that. I read too quickly. :persevere: Ignore me @Maaike

acm2010’s on the ball.

Edited: Just remembered I can delete my posts. :rofl:

Hmm? You are correct as well, the small there also refers to the quantity. My understanding is that if everything is on one line in jmdict (like 1. small; little; few) the meanings are synonymous, so the small there cannot mean a “small cat” as in physically small or something.

I had linked 少し, not 少, because I saw them mention 会 as vocabulary and I used the “few” meaning for the kanji, as I hadn’t noticed at that point in time that there were synonyms on WaniKani. :confused: I was indeed correct that 少し has no meaning of “small,” but 少, the kanji mentioned, in fact does, even if it is a prefix and not a word of its own (as you mentioned).