Leech Squashing

I always remembered that one as the cow, 牛, has a head, but noon, 午, doesn’t.

4 Likes

omg, THANK YOU <3

:joy::joy: This made me laugh so hard.

I’m finding the different readings between kanji vs. vocab to be the most frustrating. I can recognize the meaning almost instantly, but which reading of 生 do I use? う、い、しょう、は ??

生 is one of the worst kanji for readings. You’ll never know.

I don’t know if it’s the kanji with most readings, period, but it’s likely the beginner kanji with the most.

Check them all out.

1 Like

Some data that I found last year regarding onyomi and kunyomi readings:

1. Which kanji has the most syllables? (kunyomi) The following have 5:
    consent 承 (うけたまわ)
    intention 志 (こころざし)
    imperial decree 詔 (みことのり) - not found in WK, found in jisho and google translate

2. Which kanji has the most onyomi readings?
    These have 5 readings each:
    数,丁,登,働,納
    These have 4 readings each:
    画,宮,反,続,法,格,供,蛇,畝,鋳,泥,伐
    These have 3 readings each:
    音,金,子,十,女,上,石,立,力,夏,楽,京,工,行,合,西,直,弟,頭,読,分,米,歩,明,区,主,住,世,度,平,由,和,殺,児,清,夫,圧,応,財,質,条,精,提,率,若,従,仁,律,殻,且,脚,甲,剤,寿,酬,請,捜,荘,罰,抜,払,霧,耗,竜,塁

3. What are the most common onyomi readings?
    Top five: (good to know for guessing)
    しょう (in 77 kanji!)
    こう

かん
    とう

3 Likes

Does anyone have a different mnemonic for 使う? I keep getting the reading wrong :frowning:

As long as you already remember the meaning (“to use”), you could ask yourself:
“If I had two cows (つかう), what would I use them for?”

1 Like

Just got it right for the first time with this!! thanks!

1 Like

My mnemonic for 光栄 and 栄光 is probably too niche to help, but I always remember 光栄 → kouei → Koei (the video game developer) → Dynasty Warriors (a series of games developed by Koei) → Samurai are all about “honor”.

For 栄光… mostly it’s just “the other one”, but if I was going for a mnemonic, it’d probably be 栄光 → eikou → “icon” which is a work of art depicting a god → gods are all about “glory”. The word “icon” actually comes from the greek word εἰκών or “eikon”, actually. (But if the whole “icon” thing is too much trivia, it might be enough to remember that “eikon” sounds vaguely Greek and that the Greeks had a bunch of gods.)

Those are both pretty “out-there” and are more my style of mnemonic than the standard Wanikani mnemonics - I tend to favor more abstract connections between words and ideas, compared to Wanikani’s approach of trying to place yourself in a fictional scene - but maybe at least one of them will be helpful.

… Sidenote: does anyone have a mnemonic for how to spell “mnemonic”? Sheesh.

1 Like

@Anhle,
I remembered those like this:

栄光: If your prosperity (栄) shines like the sun (sunlight 光), it’s because of your glory
光栄: If your sunlight (光) – i.e. purity – brings you prosperity (栄), you are being honored for your deeds.

It works in my head, but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

you are finding Nemo, then you come across Sonic. You ask him where is Nemo??? the speeedo Sonic just mumbling: “mmmmhmmmhmm”, then he dashes away = > m nemo nic

I’m noticing that many of my leeches are words that involve 出, Does anyone have any tips and tricks?

栄光 = glory - Glory is first - Glory lightens the path you traveled.
光栄 = honor - Glory is at the back - if you have honor glory will follow.

It’s sounds stupid, but that the kind of mnemonics I make for myself.

for 午 (noon), I was using that stupid story:
At noon, they are cutting the heads of the cows yelling GO GO GO (ご)

Mnemonics are so dumb, but so effective.

1 Like

SEI it with me.

I will not get 二世 wrong anymore.

SEI it again.

I will not get 三世 wrong either.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, STOP WRITING NISEN AND SANSEN YOU IDIOT!!! :UU I should have had them enlightened so long ago and yet one is sitting at Apprentice 3, the other at Guru 1. T_T

Edit: While we’re at it, let’s have a nice little chat about the differences between 直 and 県…

2 Likes

部屋 and 部室 are constantly causing me to smash my head repeatedly into my keyboard.

Send help.

2 Likes

I remember that 屋 is store (や) and figure it out from there.

The only difference is 尸 and 宀. Maybe The flag marks the boob grave store and There is a roof over your boob grave room?

尸 also looks a bit like a roof with one side open, like a shop for boob graves.

1 Like

Today on leech squashing:

交ぜる - to mix
交じる - to be mixed
交わる - to cross

Now, somehow 交じる made it all the way to enlightened but I am under no illusions, pretty sure I just got lucky. The other two are stuck at apprentice. 交ぜる and 交じる follow the same rules, while 交わる is a different meaning and is an EXCEPTION, so add in a bit of magic (まじ). I have the ま reading pretty well memorized, so I just need to recognize that 交わる, AND ONLY 交わる, IS THE EXCEPTION.

so the key to remembering these is to recognize the meanings, and then the readings should follow. Mixing is a Zen activity that balances the mind. Being mixed into something would require the feat of a mage (and only a mage, no walking involved!). To cross requires Walking. Only Walking can lead to crossing.

Something like that.

4 Likes

captain weve got reports of some leeches coming in from the northwest

not a problem lieutenant. well just remember the english meanings over time like we always do.

captain… there appears to be something different about these…

eh?

captain… these are registering as, um, ‘kani wani’ class leeches. some kinda new type.

alright lieutenant, bring em up on the screen.

〜bzzrt〜

remodeling, renewal - 改造
recovery, rehabilitation - 回復
renewal, update - 更新
restoration, recovery - 復旧
restoration, meiji restoration - 維新

captain…

god in heaven, lieutenant. were doomed.

9 Likes

So for leeches with look-a-like Kanji, As soon as I fail one I open more information and navigate to the page about the confusing Kanji(s), and try to learn the differences as well as possible, usually focusing on one or two unique strokes, and build a special mnemonic about those strokes. I feel like it has made a huge impact for me.

Speak of the devil, I just got leeched by 交じる, again… but noticed the tip at the bottom that 交じる, and 交ぜる both use ten-ten, where 交わる does not, (and has different meaning.)I hope that helps future Leech hunters!

1 Like