Leech Squashing

I could mostly understand that (except for saudade) but as a Spanish speaker the “no” tripped me up. I wasn’t sure if you meant you learned it by absorption without having to work!

I found this which explained:

(Sorry for going off-topic)

1 Like

Heheh, aposto que foram bons tempos! :slight_smile:

Not really. I do get writing practice every single day. In terms of pronunciation, since you’re familiar with both Spanish and Portuguese pronunciations, I’m sure you can handle the Japanese one pretty well, right? :slight_smile:

I’m around N4 level in terms of grammar. I’ll probably start looking at speaking practice as a main priority around N3 (a couple more months). Some people say we should start as soon as possible and I agree. However, the only people I could practice with are my language partners and I really don’t like to lose the momentum of a conversation. Language barrier is real and a lot of people struggle to find a long-term language partner. It’s important to take big jumps with them, but jumping from a cliff leads you nowhere.

I do send some audio once in a while to my JP friends and I talk to myself quite frequently for now. I am actually thinking of getting a Japanese tutor on iTalki as a way to accelerate my grammar learning. That will definitely be another way of practicing my speaking :slight_smile:

Saudade is a noun that pretty much translates to Spanish as “me hace falta” (I miss… in English). Portuguese people like to brag about being natives of the only language that has the feeling of missing something as a word :stuck_out_tongue:

Portuguese is a mess to learn because Brazilian and European Portuguese are way more different than British and American/insert other English speaking country English. Brazilian people do say quite often that they have trouble understanding our accent.

(Sorry for the off-topic)

霜 しも frost
肝 きも courage
霧 きり fog
尻 しり butt
霞 かすみ mist

幸 happiness
福 happiness
富 wealth

Curious as to how many leeches is typical? Have a look at some charts I put together:

1 Like

言. Why can’t I de-leech you? You’re easy to remember because Gon doesn’t say anything!

Right, now that that’s out there, let’s see if I can get you fixed.

I’m just still early level 4 and I can’t differentiate:
大いに - very
大きさ - size
大きい - big

I just did another review 15 mins ago and wrote that by memory so I could be wrong again HAHAHA
Please help :<

Once you start to study grammar more it will be obvious which is which, because the first one is in the form of an adverb (at least it most resembles an adverb, even if it’s a bit irregular), the second is in the form of a noun, and the third is in the form of an adjective.

Thanks! I will focus on my grammar ASAP then.

I don’t know why these give me so much trouble, but these have been haunting me for most of my wanikani journey thus far:
配る「くばる」
被る「かぶる」

I know what they mean just fine, but I get the readings backwards almost every time. I think it’s because I don’t use or read these words often. I probably need to devote some special attention to getting them sorted out.

With 配る, you’re distributing alcohol (radical) to Cuba.

Can’t help you with the other one, as I use a mnemonic in Portuguese.

1 Like

This one sounds similar to the English meaning - to cover one’s head (close enough to the meaning at least).

かぶる sounds very similar to cover if you ask me.

Thanks, I’ll see if this helps any. I was also thinking that かぶる even sounds similar to cap (かぷ) but perhaps that’s too much of a stretch.

This always makes me thing of しりとり (尻取り) which uses the Kanji.

Since I made the connection I haven’t been able to forget it.

Man, that’s definitely a better mnemonic than WaniKani’s.
I’m not at the level 被る「かぶる」is unlocked, but if I have trouble with it in the future, I’ll accept your Portuguese mnemonic lol.

1 Like

Haha, thanks! :slight_smile:

Well, 「かぶ」resembles the word “cabo” in Portuguese which means “cable”. I just imagined someone putting on a hat made of cables. Pretty strange, uh? :sweat_smile:

We thought of the same mnemonic lol! (I pictured the alcohol being rum…)

2 Likes

Great minds think alike :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Let’s see how it works for me, five levels from now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I remember this one because, ironically, I couldn’t remember it at uni - I was majoring in linguistics (言語学院 - げんごがくいん) when I started learning Japanese, and I was asked each and every week in conversation class 「何を勉強しますか。」 and it must have been 6 months before I could reply without stumbling :confused:. I’m doing better this time around with WK, thank goodness.

1 Like